June 18th, 2008

Michelle Obama 'touched' by the First Lady's defense

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/18/obama.family.may20.jpg caption="Michelle with her husband and daughters at a campaign event in Iowa last month."]
(CNN)— Michelle Obama said Wednesday she was “touched” First Lady Laura Bush came to her defense when her patriotism was questioned.

“There’s a reason why people like [the first lady],” Obama said on ABC’s The View. “She doesn’t fuel the fire.”

Earlier this year at a campaign event Michelle Obama said, "For the first time in my adult life, I'm really proud of my country.”

WATCH Michelle Obama respond to questions of her patriotism

Laura Bush told ABC last week the remarks must have been misinterpreted.

"I think she probably meant 'I'm more proud,'" said the first lady, adding that "you have to be very careful in what you say" when you’re campaigning.

"That's one of the things you learn and that's one of the really difficult parts both of running for president, and for being the spouse of the president, and that is everything you say is looked and in many cases misconstrued."

Obama said Wednesday she had sent The First Lady a note that took her “a while” to write, but wouldn’t divulge any details because she didn’t know whether it had been received yet.

Related: McCain: Treat our wives with respect

Filed under: Laura Bush • Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Louis

Kudos to Laura Bush–hopefully the GOP will follow her intelligent role model when commenting on Michelle Obama.

Americans unite for the good of our country!!

June 18, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  2. Susan Norton

Michelle says Laura is liked because "she doesn’t fuel the fire.” Isn't that what Obama's campaign is all about?

June 18, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  3. LAURA BUSH is TRUE AMERICAN 1ST!!

Please No More Obama's Mama ..............Yeah she is touched alright,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She needs to go back to her church and stay there...........DO you attend CHURCH ...........1ST recognize your own
    HYPOCRISY BEFORE YOU SPEAK!!!!

June 18, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  4. Sherri

Thank you to Mrs. Bush and Mrs. Obama. Our country needs more opportunities to cross party lines, spread good will, and unite in positive ways. Both ladies are class acts.

Go Obama!!

June 18, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  5. SpaceCat

Michelle's a classy lady.

June 18, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  6. Ex-mod-GOP for Obama

I teach college students five days a week and I occasionally say things that don't come out the way I intended. Overall Michelle Obama has been an honorable campaigner and will be a fine First Lady.

June 18, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  7. M.S. Indiana

nannie bouroughs, Kenosha, WI
    Laura is a great person and loved and liked all over the world, hope the person you are talking about is Bush
    Or should women just be doormats ??

June 18, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  8. Samuel

Michelle Obama's statement did not represent her true feelings for this country. Michelle have always spoken of the pride she feels for the opportunities this country has given her.

For the first time in our adult life, millions of African Americans are proud to see white Americans make a black man feel worthy of the highest position this country has to offer. A position that has been totally dominated by privileged white men.

As a back man, it is nice to see someone of color appreciated and not just tolerated. Appreciated by intelligence rather than athleticism Because of Barack Obama, I vicariously feel vindicated in this country.

GOD bless America...(and may we Americans earn that blessing through all walks of life)

June 18, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  9. Ex-mod-GOP for Obama

Oh, and I don't have children yet, so I can't speak from that perspective, but I do remember my parents not always being proud of me yet always loving me. That's how I feel about my country too.

June 18, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  10. Kay W3

Behind every good man there is a great woman. I like Mrs. Obama, she'll make a great First Lady.

OBAMA 08'

June 18, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  11. Jan

I have no respect for a woman who allows babies to be used against John McCain for political purposes. The Obama ad exploiting that child is totally despicable and reflects how little respect they have for our children.

June 18, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  12. Susan, NY

Laura Bush has been one of the best First Ladies this country has known. She is an educated, articulate, caring and fair minded person. She was extremely shy when first seen in the public eye, but Mrs. Bush has grown and evolved in her position, and shown warmth and character during difficult moments in recent history.
    She will be an excellent role model for any future First Lady.

June 18, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  13. SZ

Laura Bush also defended Hillary Clinton; it wasn't all about you, sweetie.

June 18, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  14. REPECT!!!

RESPECT !!!! June 18th, 2008 2:49 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    nannie bouroughs, Kenosha, WI ………………………..One idiot first lady attempting to cover for another potential idiot first lady – i am so shocked1……………….BE OUICK TO JUDGE YOURSELF,BE SLOW TO JUDGE OTHERS....... BY THE WAY TAKE AN ASPRIN FOR THAT HEADACHE

CNN PLEASE POST – 2nd try

June 18, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  15. Veronica nj

I like our current First lady...she is full of class and grace...the one I dont like is her husband!!

Michelle Obama our next First Lady!

June 18, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  16. Linda Esen

One this we must all realize is that she may not be whom we are voting for ..but Obama would NOT have come this far if she wasn't behind him....Behind every man is a .....strong woman.

LETS NOT FORGET WHO WAS REALLY RUNNY THE SHOW AS REAGAN DETERIORATED IN HEALTH....

June 18, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  17. Jan, Knoxville, TN

June 18, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  18. J Kay - KCMO

The Barack Obama Family..........here's the "dream ticket"!!!

Laura Bush is one of the best First Lady's of our country. Michelle will be awesome.

June 18, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  19. PROUD AMERICAN

I love Mrs. Bush. However, I say if the wives can not take the heat to stay out of the kitchen and take their husbands with them. Politics is cut throat on everyone involved. Duh !!!!!!!!!

June 18, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  20. Timber

Who cares??! We are voting for the candidates, not their wives!! This is ridiculous. I see polls being reported on "Michelle vs Cindy"!! Can we get Obama's mother vs McCains mother next? Really guys, this country is really being dumbed down. Is there NOTHING else to report out there? Have we solved the poverty problem? Have we fixed the economy? No more wars? Global warming ended? After you solve all that, then get back to me about Michelle and Cindy. Geez!

June 18, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  21. Allen

"For the first time in my adult life I'm proud of my country".

Oh please! Who do you think you are? I think you should be questioning the first time black voters in this country. It's sad to think that the only reason these people have come to vote for the first time, is because theres a black man running. What does that say? I would be ashamed not proud, if I were you.

VOTE INDEPENDENT its our only hope now..... (former democrat)

June 18, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  22. Not Really Decided

This was a great View today, I really like that she (Michelle) is exposing herself to America. Also, they should have given the breakfast lady a little more time.

June 18, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  23. Heidi from California

Michelle Obama needs to be refined and sent to charm school.

June 18, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  24. Glen

Tedd you are so right. If you read all the articles posted all are pro OBAMA and a handfull are Pro MCCAIN. The comments that Michael made is more proof. Michael, see the fine print that CNN posts "Comments are moderated by CNN" so they decide what is posted or not. By the way, just so you know, we will still be in IRAQ whoever becomes the president. There is too much at stake to prematurely pull out, but I am sure you know that. How many years have you served in the Armed Forces defending the freedoms that Americans enjoy? I bet none. I believe it is you who should stay off the computer

June 18, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  25. Jan, Knoxville, TN

Although I am a Yellow Dog Democrat, I will have to say that Laura Bush has class and has been a good First Lady. I hope she enjoys getting to move back home to Texas in January.

June 18, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |