June 18th, 2008

Obama to meet with congresswomen Thursday

WASHINGTON (CNN) - In addition to meeting with the Congressional Black Caucus Thursday, Obama is also planning to meet with female members of Congress at the Democratic National Committee, according to several congressional sources.

One Democratic aide described the lunchtime meeting with the legislators as a follow-up to one Obama had last week with 28 female members of Congress - roughly half Clinton supporters and half Obama supporters - at Rep. Rosa DeLauro’s home. The aide said the Obama campaign is organizing Thursday's meeting and it’s open to “any female Member of Congress who wants to attend.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Charlotte

If McCain voted against womens rights, what other garbage was attatched to the bill? I have found that our reps. tend to add a whole lot of pork to any bill they send out. I'm just curious?

June 18, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  2. Hillary loves John

What? McCain raised money for rapists?

June 18, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  3. Ruth

Obama has a pretty good track record of telling his audiences exactly what they want to hear. . . why does he think he needs to speak just to the women in Congress rather than speak to any member of Congress who is interested in attending? A very short while back Obama was 100% for NAFTA pledging publicly to invoke a 6-mo opt-out policy calling NAFTA "devastating and a big mistake". Now that Hillary is no longer in the picture, Obama has changed his mind and says "sometimes during campaigns the rhetoric gets overheated and amplified" and he has changed his opinion on what should be done regarding NAFTA. He even says "All politicians are guilty of that and I don't exempt myself."

June 18, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  4. Drew, Central FL

Wow! Some of you haters are twisted. You are whining about a comment made by a supporter and not the man himself. And yet, conveniently forget McCain's transgressions against women?

How sad your lives must be that you live with so much fear.

When this presidential race started, I knew one thing for certain. No matter who the nominees were, I WAS NOT GOING TO VOTE REPUBLICAN.

I certainly don't want another 4 years of so-called Republican "experience". America can't afford it. Just today alone 9 GOP Senators filed for a delay of mortgage bill and Bush had the farm bill veto overridden. What does the GOP have against the American people?

June 18, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  5. Becky, KS

It's a little too late. He can talk to women all he wants. In fact that's all I hear him do, talk, talk, talk. Empty suit, no substance.

June 18, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  6. rw in ct

I salute Obama's meeting with female representatives with the same gesture that he not so subtlety used toward Hillary (all on the u tube)...with the middle finger of my right hand.

Vote McCain....

June 18, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  7. Belinda (California)

Some of you that post on these CNN blogs seem to be quite ignorant. If you don’t like CNN or what they list on THEIR website then why are you still coming to their site? In a political year such as this and when the world shows such interest for information and seems almost hungry for change CNN and all other News outlets do their jobs by providing the information.

I review news sites daily and when I don’t like the information I am reading I move onto something else. What cowards that you post without using your names and make statements like “No woman with any sense will vote for you (Obama)” Well I am a 42 year old woman that put myself thru college and earn a good living as an Accountant. I think that qualifies as having good sense, but perhaps like many of the primary polls reflected that the uneducated were not voting for Obama!

Please if you don’t like CNN blogs find a Jerry Springer website to post too.

June 18, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  8. Charles of NC

Great strategy Barack, keep chipping away at the Washington establishment. Here's a good VP for you: Colin Powell. I'm sure that although he's a republican, his sense of honor propels him to a sense of purpose. He probably would love the opportunity to help you undo the Bush tragedy and help you prevent the McCain anarchy.

June 18, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  9. Belle

Why isn't ANYONE asking what the difference is between US and China drilling 50 miles off the FL coatline?

Why isn't anyone asking why we aren't growing sugar cane and restructuring cars to run on that?

Why isn't anyone asking why the US used to be the leader in car manufacturing instead of giving it away to other countries?

Why isn't anyone asking how America can be self-sufficient instead of relying on other countries....what happens when they decide NOT to trade with us?

June 18, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  10. La Raza

Are people actually going to vote for McCain???? I find that amazing.

June 18, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  11. Pat in Cali

Do the people who post on these blogs realize that you only represent your own voice? In the grand scheme of things we still have not heard from the other 18 million Clinton supports after reading all the comments in all the blogs on all the internet news websites.

So to the individual who will not vote for Obama, it only matters what the other 18 Clinton supporters will do on election day. When faced with the choice of 4 more years of failed ecomony, failed energy policy, failed war effort, and a grumpy old man, ... no woman in her right mind will vote for McCain.

June 18, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  12. BIG WIG, PA

I love Michelle. All theses negative things are being said and written about her because she is black. Where are the so-called supportive women who followed Hillary. Ready or not. Like it or not. Here she comes, the First Black FIRST LADY of the USA.
    OBAMA '08

June 18, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  13. Len

A liberal elitiest with strong socialist view points. No Chance.

The DNC had thier chance with a moderate center-left. They blew it when they caved into the far-left wingnuts of thier party.

The moderate will win in november.

McCain 08

June 18, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  14. Cynthia

I think it is great that he is meeting with everyone to get their perspective. I don't see it as courting the women's vote as some people see it. Senator Obama had a mother, has a sister and a wife so he knows about women's issues.

I definitely agree with Will in Richmond, VA.

June 18, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  15. jerry

moderator go ahead and close comments, they are not for obama

June 18, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  16. dan

whats truly amazing is everything that Obama does, no matter what that appears on these blogs are constantly jumped on by Hilliary/Republicans bashing him to no ends (the man could cure cancer and end world hunger and you people would somehow twist that around to him being evil) yet, when obama supporters show up to defend their candiate THEY are the ones who gets labeled as mean spirited people who only bash others. Give me a break.

June 18, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  17. George, Los Angeles

McCain 2008. Watch and see.

June 18, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  18. Fred

Lynn, Gary and No Bama

My message to you is simply this...if you dont like CNN, You can always go over to Fox News and Tune in to the idiots over there, such as Hannity, and Bill O'Reilly. I am quite sure they would safisfy your taste for impartiality, bigortry, and stupidity.
    Just some advice for you.

June 18, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  19. Nancy

Now here is a 21century man

June 18, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  20. Uncle Sam

Reasons for voting for Sen. Obama:

* President Bush
    * Bush administration
    * Republican brand
    * Iraq War
    * High gas and food prices

Reasons for voting for Sen. McCain:

* He's the better candidate.

June 18, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  21. Gina, California

I'm a Republican. I don't like Bush. BUT, I don't agree with calling John McCain another George Bush. John McCain is John McCain, and George Bush is George Bush.

If you do that . . . then you might as well say that Barack Obama is another Bill Clinton or Hillary Clinton. And in that case, why the primaries?

There are two DIFFERENT individuals from their predecessors. Accept and respect that.

June 18, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  22. YAM

I will say again you go right ahead in vote for McCain, but I will guarantee you this, you will jeopardize the future of you, your children and your grandchildren. Know this, McCain and Obama both are millionaires, you will not be hurting them but instead you, the middle class. Also, remember , this is a trick to get the Democrats to go Republicans. Most of them who says they are Democrats are Republicans trying to sway all of us to go to McCain. My concern is that those who continue to allow another 4 to 8 years of Bush-like Economics(McCain) is just simply clueless. You have no idea of what you will be getting yourselves into if you entertain the Republicans. They are extremely happy right now. The Republicans think that we are fools. I would like to say another thing, look where experience has gotten us thus far. Candidates continue to say how much experience they have but what has been done to make this a better country. There is definitely no unity here in the UNITED States. I believe that is what Obama will bring to the table, togetherness, wisdom and respect within our country as well as outside of this country. We tried everything else why not give him a chance, it certainly can not get any worse than it has been. Lastly, I bought the book from Scott McMellan titled, WHAT HAPPENED, Inside the Bush White House and Washington's Culture of Deception. I encourage anyone and everyone to read this book. Once you have done this, I guarantee you will think twice before you vote the wrong person(McCain) into office. The publisher is a reliable source so whatever is contained is true.

June 18, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  23. Michelle from Colorado

Courting the female vote. Because, as we know, it doesn't matter what the average US citizen thinks. The real voters are already in government. They make the decisions. We don't.
    I hope to God these ladies ask him questions like, "What is your stance on the current welfare system?" and "Can you outline 3 major strategies you plan to use to get our country out of debt/" and my favorite, "What church did you belong to before the one you spent 20 years in with Rev. Wright?"

June 18, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  24. Jean

Is this really news!! Next time CNN will report. 'Obama to go to the bathroom today". Give us some real news

June 18, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  25. John, Catholic

Would someone be so kind as to tell me why Obama should pay off Clinton's campaign debt?

I realize that money is often what keeps dreams from becoming reality. To be president of the United States take money. If one does not have sufficient funding to campaign then one is not prepared to be president. There are many other qualification for president but we cannot deny that being able to afford running for the presidency is a qualification that must be met.

She caused her debt by campaigning when she could not afford it. She should have quit when she ran out of money. She chose not to therefore she should live up to the results of her decision. Is that not what accountability is about? Or are the American people to bail her out like we have bailed out Bear Sterns? I was not aware that the average American Citizen has so much money lying around as to bail out multimillion dollar companies and individuals.

Just as an essential requirement to run for president is the finances to run apparently an essential requirement to receive fiscal aid in this country is a net income of $100 Million or more.

June 18, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |