June 18th, 2008

Obama to meet with congresswomen Thursday

WASHINGTON (CNN) - In addition to meeting with the Congressional Black Caucus Thursday, Obama is also planning to meet with female members of Congress at the Democratic National Committee, according to several congressional sources.

One Democratic aide described the lunchtime meeting with the legislators as a follow-up to one Obama had last week with 28 female members of Congress - roughly half Clinton supporters and half Obama supporters - at Rep. Rosa DeLauro’s home. The aide said the Obama campaign is organizing Thursday's meeting and it’s open to “any female Member of Congress who wants to attend.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Ann Romero

Obama has to do what he can and it will take Hillary supporters to put him on top.

Good Luck without our help.

June 18, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  2. Knoxville Puma

These members of Congress should know that there are people at the Obama camp who use tactics that are so fundementally undemocratic that they may as well be terrorists.

At Puma PAC, we are receiving threats from "democrat4life" and other people who appear to be associated with the Obama camp, who have written that we "are the reason this party [the undemocratic Democratic Party] is so weak at the moment."

Then they threatened us.

June 18, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  3. PG

McClown supporters have not nothing, I mean nothing to offer. They see their candidate diminishing........................

June 18, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  4. Vig

Any Clinton supporter who votes for Obama, as far as I'm concerned, is party to the degradation and demeaning treatment Clinton received and still receives by the media and Obama-Centrics. Obama said not one word when Clinton was being devalued and marginalized – why, because he was the beneficary of her trash and bash. There is an alternative – write in Hillary on the November ballot. It's that simple.

June 18, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  5. Gene

To "Aware"

What are you aware of? No woman will ever vote for Obama? So a woman would be better off with McCain? McCain.. who has the worst voting history when it comes to women's rights and choice?... While Obama actually fights for women's rights and choice?

Any woman that would vote for McCain is definitely unAWARE. If a woman wants to live under McCain's choices of what women are entitled to.. they might as well move to the middle east where women ARE considered second class citizens.

June 18, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  6. Proud American

Lets Go Dems!!!!

June 18, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  7. Gene

I'm curious what people are talking about when they say that they don't know what Obama stands for and they know what McCain is all about because he has such a long record. When Obama speaks.. do people put their hands over their ears and hum?

Obama has been very clear on many of the issues. What does he stand for? Ending the war in Iraq and going back to Afghanistan. Investing in renewable energy. Subsidizing healthcare so more people can afford it. Getting the country out of debt by increasing manufacturing and export as opposed to importing more. And if you close your ears when he talks.. go to his website where he has everything outlined very detailed.

McCain on the other hand is changing his positions every week... and other than the war in Iraq.. he hasn't been clear and consistent on a single issue.. and he's been avoiding the economy issues altogether... with the exception of his latest flip flop on drilling for oil... which won't benefit anyone for years to come.. though I do agree that we should be drilling for our own oil.

June 18, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  8. Knoxville NObama

These members of Congress should know that there are people who associate themselves with the Obama camp who use tactics that are so fundamentally undemocratic that they may as well be terrorists.

Our registered 527, Puma PAC, has been receiving threats from "democrat4life" and others who appear to be associated with the Obama campaign. They say that we "are the reason this party [the undemocratic Democratic Party] is so weak at the moment."

Then they threatened us.

June 18, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  9. frank

obama back stabbing arab women, yea right change

June 18, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  10. Montana is Obama Country

................ THIS RED STATE IS TURNING BLUE......::::... OBAMA 2008

........... TRUE Leadership........... TRUE Blue.............

June 18, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  11. Jill in Chicago

This female democrat is not voting for Obama because of these three words: Patti Solis Doyle

June 18, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  12. al

****************************************************
    ANOTHER POSITIVE MOVE. NOW WHY IS IT THAT WHEN MCCAIN DOES SOMETHINOR OPEN HIS MOUTH ITS PROJECTS NEGATIVITY. AM I ALONE IN THIS, IM A JUST A SOLID DEMOCRAT ALTHOUGHT THIS WOULD BE MY FIRST TIME VOTING, OR BARAK IS JUST A BETTER CANDIDATE. PERIOD. STOP THE MADNESS. VOTE OBAMA.

June 18, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  13. Gene

I agree with John, Catholic

Hillary kept campaigning and spent a ton of money which she didn't have, even when the math was overwhelmingly against her... she should have quit when Obama practically swept on super tuesday.

I'll also add that I'm tired of Hillary supporters.. like Xena, who's been posting quite a bit telling Hillary supporters not to give money to the Obama campaign. Xena.. you have nothing to worry about.. if Hillary supporters wouldn't even give Hillary donations... what makes you think they will make any donations to Obama.

June 18, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  14. real dem

What's so funny (not funny ,stupid )is that O'bama has did nothing to women but we have groups like "Women Against O'bama", No Hillary No O'bama, No Hillary Hi McCain. You all sound silly. After what McCain has done to WOMEN (voted against almost everything involved with women) AND YOU STILL WILL VOTE FOR HIM? This is not about issues it's about this...

1. Don't care what the issues are No O'bama
    2. Even if my children and my realtives go to Iraq and die it's ok
    3. I lose my home or have to move in with relatives
    4. I lose my Job
    5. Gas stays higher
    6. Hmm how many more things are worng now and will if McCain is President...( NOTHING CHANGES BECAUSE McCAIN AND BUSH ARE LIKE BIRDS OF A FEATHER)

O'bama 08

June 18, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  15. real dem

1. Don't care what the issues are No O'bama
    2. Even if my children and my realtives go to Iraq and die it's ok
    3. I lose my home or have to move in with relatives
    4. I lose my Job
    5. Gas stays higher
    6. Hmm how many more things are wrong now and will ontinue if McCain is President...( NOTHING CHANGES BECAUSE McCAIN AND BUSH ARE LIKE BIRDS OF A FEATHER)

O'bama 08

June 18, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  16. real dem

1. Don't care what the issues are No O'bama
    2. Even if my children and my realtives go to Iraq and die it's ok
    3. I lose my home or have to move in with relatives
    4. I lose my Job
    5. Gas stays higher
    6. Hmm how many more things are wrong now and will continue if McCain is President...( NOTHING CHANGES BECAUSE McCAIN AND BUSH ARE LIKE BIRDS OF A FEATHER)

O'bama 08

June 18, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  17. Ben

Obama
    I have always supported you and will probably vote for you, but when you say NAFTA is not so bad, are you losing your bearings? Nothing has hurt the working class more than NAFTA.
    All dodge pickups are made in Mexico. Ford makes cars in Mexico. I bought a buick made in Canada.Before that I bought a Mercury made in Canada.
    You want Unions to support you? Don't look for the thousands who have lost their jobs to vote for you.
    When you say they must improve their labor standards – Who cares what they do with their standards. We want those jobs brought back to the United States

June 18, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  18. Lynn

To RIF: You must be a paid Obama Employee. Remember he hired a whole team to monitor the blogs etc. I am honored to be so important. 2 comments and counting. Claire McCaskell talks from both sides of her mouth just like Obama during the whole campaign.

June 18, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  19. Ardis

Please don't pander to women. You had your chance to show your regard for the best vp candidate but you chose to demoralize her even more by asking total incompetents to find you a candidate. The women and men that support Hillary are very smart and will not be fooled by your sudden attention to women. Give it up. Prepare to lose to McCain. BTW, I am NOT in favor of Hillary being your running mate – you are not fit to shine her shoes. Go back to your dirty politics in Chicago.

June 18, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  20. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Has anyone noticed that John McCain doesn't look too good. Maybe that's why he's been in such a big hurry to have Town Meetings, which ain't happening.

June 18, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  21. obama supporters around the world

what a good day for obama , good news after good news...
    people, all around the world are behind you(canada,france , africa)

June 18, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  22. Bridgette - PA

XENA- No-one is slapping Barack or anyone in his family! I know that you have lost what little bit of mind that your supposed to have to write such a retarded comment. Watch what you say before it happens to you

June 18, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  23. Lynn

I cannot believe CNN and their stories. I think they want to keep the disagreements between Hillary and Obama supporters to keep going on and on. Can you please change the subject. It's getting to the point next you will reporting everytime Obama sneezes.

June 18, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  24. dorothy

I am a woman voting for Barack Obama, because he continues to lead by Example, with Honor and Truth, a young man who had the Wisdom and Common Sense to make the right decision, and continues to Follow the Rules, and take up for Hillary Clinton, when she did not even consider him or acknowledge his Presumptive Democratic Nominee. That is Real Leadership I can Believe in and Follow.

Obama 08
    djg

June 18, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  25. North Carolina

If every woman senator and congresswoman came forward and told me i should vote for him, I would not. His appalling associations with criminals and terrorist supporters and pitiful measure of experience render him wholly unsuited for POTUS. I will vote McCain in 08: country before party.

June 18, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |