June 19th, 2008

Cindy McCain not backing down on Michelle Obama comment

CNN

Watch a clip of John King's interview with Cindy McCain.

(CNN) - As the presidential campaigns of John McCain and Barack Obama tangle over which is unfairly dragging the prospective first ladies into the general election battle, Cindy McCain sent a signal this morning that she’s not about to step out of the fray.

The wife of presumptive Republican nominee John McCain stood behind her initial response to Democratic counterpart Michelle Obama’s comment that for the first time she was “really proud” of her country. She told CNN’s John King that her own remark – that she had “always” been proud of her country – had been a spontaneous response, not a planned attack.

“I’m an emotional woman when it comes to service to our country. I’ve watched many people’s children leave and go serve,” she said. “This is something that is the fiber of the McCain family. It was nothing more than me just saying, look, I believe in this country so strongly.”

“I think [Obama is] a fine woman and a good mother” but that both women were just “in an interesting line of work right now.”

Watch King’s full interview on The Situation Room at 4 p.m. ET

She repeated her defense of her initial reaction in an interview that aired on ABC News Thursday. "I don't know why [Obama] said what she said,” said McCain. “All I know is that I have always been proud of my country."

Several days ago, first lady Laura Bush defended Obama, telling an interviewer that she believed her original remark by the wife of presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama had been misinterpreted as unpatriotic. On Thursday, Obama senior adviser David Axelrod told CNN that Cindy McCain’s response had not cleared up matters from the campaign’s perspective.

“Well, I didn't hear an explanation,” Axelrod told CNN’s John Roberts in an interview on American Morning. “She just said that the McCain family feels strongly about America. And I think the Obama family does as well. I think most Americans do.”

Filed under: Cindy McCain
  1. Turnabout is Fair Play

Whatever Mrs. Druggy McVein..if you keep pushing, you're going to get pushed back and hard too. I REALLY don't think you want to get caught up in a fight against Mrs. Obama, she will row your head into the ground with an excellent comeback. You HAVE been warned.

June 19, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  2. Voter turned 4 Obama

To the Hillary backers, or shall I say them Log Cabin Repugs. Gov.Sebelius and others have a better shot then Hillary. Sorry wake up, you'll are dreaming. This country have done the Clinton's and Bush's it time for a change a real change. And for the once that having problem with the gas price. The gas will drop very low when Bush is out of the White House. If you listen to what other country are saying about the problem and it not the Americans people it the Bush and McSane policy. The Kings in the Middle East told Bush to got to hell. And you can tell how other country think about the next guy, and if you look and listen stop being blind to the fact. That person isn't McSane. Look he can't remember what he said yesterday, is he C-Nile for real and his wife just have the sticky fingers. And I'm sorry but someone need to ask Cindy to take an drug test to make sure that she is off the drugs. Because the saying goes like this. Once and Crack Head Always an Crack Head!!!!!!!!!

June 19, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  3. ALLBAMALLTHETIME

Cindy is a LIAR–she knew what she meant when she said it. She is not woman enough to stand her ground. What a mealy-mouthed disappointment.

June 19, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  4. voter

I thought McCain said spouses were off limits. I guess this is another flip flop moment from the McCain camp or she did not receive the message. Get a grip cindy because you don't want the democrats to discuss your colorful past.

June 19, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  5. dukeboards

Cindy McCain really should be careful. She has way too many skeletons in her closet to be criticizing Michelle Obama. Drug addiction, forging prescriptions, using her charity to obtain drugs, stealing another woman's husband and using her money to buy the first wife off.

"McCain is in Vietnam, where her husband spent more than five years as a prisoner of war, on a humanitarian mission."

He wasn't Cindy's husband then. McCain's wife at the time was faithfully waiting for him at home. Until she was disfigured in a terrible car wreck. Then he dumped her for a woman 18 years younger than him.

June 19, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  6. Eric

This woman, who stole drugs from a charity organisation to sustain her drug addiction, who broke a marriage and commited adultery, who always manages to look like a cheap "forgotten in the sandbox" barbie doll, should stick to do what she does best. Look like an empty entity beside her husband.

June 19, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  7. Shoe Sale

Hey Miss Cindy, I hear there's a shoe sale at Neiman Marcus. Why don't you go shopping, and leave politics to Americans who actually have to deal with real life issues, like gas prices.

June 19, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  8. cheryl

WOW! Who cares what this woman says about Michelle, she should worry about explaining how proud she was to still John McCain from his injured 1st wife. How about that Cindy?

June 19, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  9. cevans, tx

Of course Cindy McCain always been proud of America. After all, she's benefited the most. Has she ever been denied anything because of the color of her skin? Has she ever been belittled because of the color of her skin? NOT!!! If you haven't walked in the shoes, how in the HELL can you know exactly where Michelle Obama is coming from.

I can stand hypocrites who see and hear what they want to. It is what it is...And, furthermore why is she still on the subject anyway...

For the first time in my 50+ years of being an American citizen, I too am becoming proud of this country!!

June 19, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  10. Kerri

Is she equally as proud of her drug addiction?

June 19, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  11. Margi

It is really not a good idea for Cindy McCain to critize Michelle Obama and then expect a cakewalk herself.

June 19, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  12. Pepou

This Stepford wife is as dumb as she looks. Old little rich girl who dresses like a 25 year old and thinks she can give us lessons in patriotism. She should stick to baking her Betty Croker cookies.

June 19, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  13. Eric

Well i haven't been proud of my country for any of my adult life since i was too young to vote by 20 days in 2000. And it's been pretty much hell ever since.

June 19, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  14. Ted

No matter what type of political spin Obama's campaign puts on this... Michelle Obama said exactly what she meant... or what she's been hearing for 20 years at church.

It's not about a misstatement of words. Everyone mixes up their words now and then.

But when she makes statements – very similar to those she's been hearing every week in church for the last 20 years – you have to start to wonder how much that has influenced her and her husband's views.

June 19, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  15. Objective

Cindy McCain is as phony as her face. Nothing is real, here.

June 19, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  16. Bosotn For OBAMA

Let he/she who is without sin throw the first stone.
    I don't believe Cindy McCain is the one to speak out against Michelle Obama. Cindy's moral values will be up for discussion.

June 19, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  17. Hayden

Doesn't she look like little Cindy Who in "The Grinch That Stole Christmas"?

June 19, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  18. WILLIAM SAMUELS

It is very easy to be super patriotic and attack another person when one is worth 100 million dollars of inherited wealth without having to work or take risks for it.

Laura Bush is a lady-Cindy McCain is just another country club
    Republican

Bill

June 19, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  19. Jerimiah

I'm proud of Cindy's private jet that allows John's campaign to get buy on its welfare checks from taxpayers. I love how McCain-Feingold had a loophole for spouses with private jets. Hmm, wonder how that got in their?

June 19, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  20. for the first time

I still feel that Obama is not a legitimate nominee- he won by cheating and with the help of a biased media and a DNC that deliberately knocked HRC out of the race to advantage him. To me, that will always amount to a fixed – for – Obama primary.

So...For the first time in my adult life, I am ashamed to be a democrat.

OR For the first time in my adult life, I am REALLY ashamed to be a democrat.

Really... what is the difference between those 2 statements? You Obama supporters are just as full of it as he and Michelle are.

Michelle Obama said what she said and really meant what she said.

June 19, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  21. Robert

'ALWAYS proud of her country?'...Even the last 7 years? Even when the Bush machine took on the McCains in 2000? Very interesting.

June 19, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  22. Dealt

"This is something that is the fiber of the McCain family". Watching children leave and go serve... Wow. One needs much more than fiber to boast of it. Try "cold-blooded"...

June 19, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  23. Pablo

Ummm, sure. Also, I believe your husband is right. We'll find those WMDs any day.

June 19, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  24. Lisa in Canada

So fake like her husband. It's ironic she does not support the war, but her husband does. And to all the Hillary supporters.

This is copied, because its great words !ENJOY!
    10 Things Hillary Needs To Tell Her Supporters:

1. I accept that I LOST fair and square.
    2. The nomination was NOT STOLEN from me.
    3. I did NOT WIN the popular vote based on the rules.
    4. The DNC did not "select" Obama. Obama had more pledged delegates and the popular vote, so the DNC went with the will of the people.
    5. Neither I nor Obama had enough pledged delegates to win the nomination, so we BOTH NEEDED superdelegates to put one of us over the top. In fact, in order for me to have won, I needed twice as many superdelegates as Obama.
    6. Obama ran a superior campaign to mine.
    7. The better candidate won.
    8. Anyone who votes for McCain despite the fact that he is against everything I stand for is no supporter of mine.
    9. Anyone who votes against Obama because he is black is no supporter of mine.
    10. Barack Obama will be the next POTUS.

June 19, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  25. Dvon

Wow she really a patroit alright. Mrs. McCain please don't put on a act and just show your real self. Americans don not like phonies

June 19, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |