June 20th, 2008

Party unity - and potential VPs - at Chicago roundtable

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) – Barack Obama sat down with 16 Democratic governors on Friday in his hometown of Chicago to discuss all things economic and to emphasize the future partnership they envision between the White House and the states.

Conversation focused on energy, infrastructure, jobs, education and health care.

Obama strayed from his initial scripted remarks to hit John McCain on his recent proposal to allow states to decide if they want to drill for oil off their coasts.

"When I hear John McCain say that he is now in favor of the same oil drilling off the coast that he was opposed to just a week ago, what he doesn't tell you is that George Bush's own energy department has said that this would have no impact on consumers until 2030," said Obama.

The governors in attendance included seven who had supported Hillary Clinton's presidential bid, and several who have topped many experts' of lists potential vice presidential prospects, including Kansas' Kathleen Sebelius, New Mexico's Bill Richardson, and Pennsylvania's Ed Rendell.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Eugene

Obama is a flip flop liar. He is the same old politician. He flip flop about Public Funding and NAFTA. During the primary, he said he did not aware of his staff talking to the Canadian about NAFTA but look at his position about NAFTA now, it is exactly what his staff said to the Canadian that time. He lies to Americans to get votes. This is change that you can expect from him. Also, at the Al Gore endorsement Obama rally, when the Governor of Michigan mention Hillary name, Obama's supporters boo her rudely. This is the Unity that Obama promise you. This is another change that you can expect from Obama. After all of this, I suggest all Americans do not ever listen to anything Obama say but look at what Obama did instead. He will never get my support or my vote no matter what Hillary say to convince us to support him. I simply can not support a flip flop liar.

June 20, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  2. White Independent

Kathleen Sebelius please.

June 20, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  3. Mimi De La Cruz for OBAMA

BARACK THE VOTE AMERICA.

LETS GO FORWARD.

AND GET SOME OF THAT HONOR LOST BACK.

AND THOSE LOST JOBS AND DOLLARS.

June 20, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  4. aware

Chicago roundtable?

Obama is a ruthless two-faced politician who will throw anyone or anything under the bus if it or they get in his way!

Obama will use his soft spoken professor mode while he hides his Machiavellian ambition and ruthless Chicago politics.

Is this the change America can believe in?

Not me – I see both sides of Obama! 🙁

June 20, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  5. Rudy NYC

Hmmph. Sounds more like a cabinet meeting to me. I would look for Lt. Governers, and not these actual governers to fill numerous top slots in an Obama administration. This group would be more useful on the whole remaining where they are.

That is not to say that none would make a good VP. In fact, look for the VP to come from this group if Obama selects a politician instead of a military candidate.

June 20, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  6. WE NEED THE TRUTH

Senator Obama is the leader this country needs. He will not work in a vacumn, you can tell by his inclusion of others in identifying the problems and working to come up with solutions to those problems.

This is truly great leadership at work

OBAMA MUST BE THIS COUNTRY'S NEXT POTUS!

June 20, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  7. Independent LAWYER for Obama

PUH-leease don't let them drill. If they screw up the coastlines of FL and CA both states will be in the toilet economically. I know not every state depends immensely on revenue from tourism – but we do in FL and I know they do in CA.

Don't screw up our economies and our environment for maybe a little bit of oil that will take more than 2 decades to hit to the market!!!

June 20, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  8. one old white lady NOT for Obama

There can be NO UNITY after the intentionally dirty and hateful campaign that Obama waged against HRC.

Playing the race card and trashing and bashing BOTH Clintons and manipulating the DNC to turn the tide his way.

It was threats and lies and scheming all the way.

I will never vote for Obama.

I left the democratic party after 35 years in protest of fixed primaries and biased treatment of the candidates.

In my mind, HRC won and Obama cheated her out of the win and got himself installed as the party nominee.

June 20, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  9. therealist

If Obama can't even unify the democrats, how is he possibly going to unify the country!?

June 20, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  10. ted

That Obama doesnt want to do everything in our power to diversify and expand our energy pool shows how short sighted or ignorant he is. We need to do more domestic drilling as PART of an updated energy policy – alternative fuels and change in america's relation to fossil fuels are another part. This is exactly what McCain is proposing. Its sound and its actually far away from the Bush camp. Sure its going to take years for new drilling to make an impact but not doing anything will only increase our dependents.

Here's another example of Obama being politics as usual. It wouldnt bother me per se except he launched his bid for the presidency on the fact that he would not be "politics as usual". so I guess taking lines out of context for political ends is the change we can believe in

June 20, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  11. The Great One

I WANT Kathleen Sebelius!!!

June 20, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  12. Brandon Hillary Democrat for Mc Cain

Hes truly an arrogant idiot if he thinks he can continue to snub Hillary supporters it will take just a small number of us to tip this election.

Choose wisely Bambi !

June 20, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  13. David Goldman for OBAMA

AND DID THEY DISCUSS THE MCBUSH

OPPOSITION TO FLOOD FUNDS FOR THEIR STATES.

BECAUSE HE MOST CERTAINLY APPOSED IT.

RESPONSIBLE GOVERNORS

DEMOCRATIC AND REPUBLICAN SHOULD BAND

AGAINST THE MCBIGOT ELECTION.

June 20, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  14. Sujith, NE

I donated today.Did you?
    barackobama.com

Obama 08-16 !

June 20, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  15. 58 old white ladies for OBAMA

LOOKS LIKE THE DNC WILL DO US RIGHT.

June 20, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  16. dream on

Unity? Are you all crazy? You ganged up to viciously and unfairly attack and destroy the female candidate. With glee. Why?

You adored the lesser qualified candidate because- being young, black and a gifted orator- "his time had come"

I want fair and honest elections where all votes are counted.

I don't want my party swiftboating their own best candidate just to advantage and install their personal choice.

June 20, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  17. Down with Obama

Get over yourself Obama, you are going to lose!!!!!!!!!

Obama has strayed before, many times!!!!!

GO PUMA;s

June 20, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  18. Jim

I watched this online thanks to CNN (thank you!). It was so great to see so made heads come togather from the state's, and I heard some great idea's, it really really warmed my heart at work to see such leadership and working with at the state's level and the community to get things done, get idea's togather, and he isn't even president yet! I'll be donating to him throughout the month's!

June 20, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  19. Jim

whoops, many* heads, not made. sorry 🙂

June 20, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  20. after raping the woman?

I saw what you did to HRC.

Every night for ours, I watched as you twisted what she said and throttled and bashed her.

Each night I watched as you drooled with excitement over the IDEA of an Obama.

No matter about fair paly, or honest elections, or fair coverage. All that mattered was destroying HER so that HE could be pushed forward.

It was sick and foul and disgusting.

MY vote will never go to any democrat ever again. You destroyed your own party by betraying your ideals. You chose to install rather than elect the nominee.

NO CALL FOR UNITY will overcome the damage your own actions and choices have caused.

June 20, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  21. Cynthia

It shows that Senator Obama wants everyone to be involved and wants to know what is important to all states.

June 20, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  22. RB

What? Another flip-flop from McSame?? The old man cannot remember where he stood a week ago! OMG!! I like McSame, but I don't want him to be president. He's already forgotten too much. Sorry buddy, but W stole your opportunity from you eight years ago! Move on, please.

June 20, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  23. Saad from NJ

No better than Joe Biden for our beloved country. But I look at Biden more as a President than a VP. But if he was to become one and hopefully stay for 8 years, then run for the President and stay for another 8 years, we would probably reverse the catastrophe this administration has showered upon us and our generation to come.

One can day dream a little.

June 20, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  24. sure...right

Of course I will forgive and forget all the corruption and dirty politics you resorted to just to fix the nomination for Obama.

I'm okay with sending the message that a campaign of hate and destruction is A-okay with me.

Next time, I want to see even more rabid attacks on the more qualified candidate.... whatever it takes to stack the deck in favor of the weaker and less qualified candidate.

I enjoyed the mean and nasty cruelty shown to HRC. I hope that sets the stage for how the NEW democratic party will be, going forward.

Sure... yeah... I'll unite.

June 20, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  25. independent

he seems like he's already the president.he's so far ahead of the gop,i think they may need to change their party name ,after this election landslide.i bet michelle is already picking out the new colors for the white house.i hope bush is packing,already.

June 20, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |