June 23rd, 2008

Biden: I'd say yes to being VP

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/23/art.biden.gi.jpg caption="Joe Biden said he would say yes to being VP."]

(CNN) – Delaware Sen. Joe Biden on Sunday appeared to violate a widely unwritten rule among those with a remote shot at becoming a vice presidential nominee: He actually admitted he would take the job.

"The answer I’ve got to say is yes," the former Democratic presidential candidate said on NBC's "Meet the Press" when asked if he'd be willing to serve as Barack Obama's No. 2.

The frank answer is a sharp departure from the responses of many of those in both parties considered to be in the running for the job, most of whom repeatedly say they are not interested in the position and do not expect to be seriously considered for it. Some, such as Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland, have even flatly said they will not serve if asked.

Related: Who's on the VP short lists?

Speaking on Sunday, Biden added he did not "want to be asked" to serve as vice president. But the six-term senator with a lengthy foreign policy resume said he would not refuse to help his party's presidential nominee in that capacity.

"Of course [I would say yes]," he said. "If the presidential nominee thought I could help him win - am I going to say to the first African-American candidate about to make history in the world that, 'No, I will not help you out like you want me to'? Of course . . . I'll say yes."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. TESAP

🙂

June 23, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  2. Obama: Carter's 2nd Term

If Obama picks some from inside the beltway how is that "change?"

June 23, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  3. proud army and navy mom

I always said that Sen Biden would be the best possible choice as VP.

June 23, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  4. Venus

I say yes too Joe! Way to go!

This guy is great! He ate Graham up on Meet The Press on Sunday!

Go Joe go!
    Obama/Biden!

Yes they can!

June 23, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  5. Oren Darling

Obama should reveal the plans for all major cabinet positions early in the campaign and go after the election as a full team with Biden as Secretary of State. Dispatch the "presumptive cabinet" to key battlegrounds and give them a real snapshot of an Obama White House.

June 23, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  6. gasdocpol

Biden's idea of a soft partition of Iraq is the only thing that I have heard that addresses a politiclal solution in Iraq.

June 23, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  7. Anyone Obama picks for VP would be great!

Republicans are a joke. The Grand ole Pilfers! They have lied to us, robbed us and ruined our reputation across the world.

McCain is another puppet, like Bush.

Obama has made history! You can cry all you want to. The truth hurts!

June 23, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  8. Derrick, Philadelphia

Biden would be an excellent choice....

biden , nunn and richardson are the final 3

June 23, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  9. Zander

Biden telling it like it is. Personally, I think the better ticket would be Biden/Obama...but Obama/Biden will do.

June 23, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  10. Just Don't Ask Him

He said if he were asked. I hope he isn't asked. He seems obsessed with the fact that Barack is black. Big deal, get over it Biden. He said "I'm not going to tel the first African-American no". This is not a candidate for VP.

I like Biden, but he's the wrong man for Barack. Barack needs someone who doesn't think his ethnicity is a big deal.

June 23, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  11. Lynne - Seattle WA

Good for him for being honest and upfront about the subject...we all know the "oh I don't actually think I'll be considered' line is just more political hot air...many of todays politicians must think we average citizens are not too bright.

June 23, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  12. Michael Lorton, Virginia

"Joe Biden on Sunday appeared to violate a widely unwritten rule among those with a remote shot at becoming a vice presidential nominee: He actually admitted he would take the job." What rule did he violate? Ask an honest question, got an honest answer. My hatt off to Joe Biden......unlike others who are always side-stepping the question when they know the answer.

June 23, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  13. gasdocpol

June 23, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  14. Enlightened Voter -

I wouldn't mind him not one little bit. He's got a great record and very savy on foreign policy knowledge like Obama , so I welcome him as VP.

June 23, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  15. Gas And Oil Party (GOP)

Way to Go

Obama / Biden 08/12

June 23, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  16. MLG

Don't care!!! McCain 08

June 23, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  17. Blakus

I've wanted Biden to be VP since day one. Make it happen!

June 23, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  18. Swampy

I like some of the things Joe Biden would bring to the Obama administration, but I'm troubled by his implication that Obama needs a white man to "help him win." Oversensitive? Maybe, but remember this is the same guy who a few months ago thought it was the highest compliment to call Obama "articulate." Of course, that may be just a reflection of the lowered expectations we've grown accustomed to with the sitting president.

Obama/Clark '08

June 23, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  19. ProundToBeRepublican

Way to go Biden I hope Obama picks you as his V.P. you are a good man.

June 23, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  20. Vickie, Maryland

Finallly, someone willing to put the future of our country before himself. So many others are worried about the future of "their own positions" and re-elections that they get yellow bellys. Biden is a man true to the Democratic party and has the gonads to stand up and say it.
    Long and Narrow is the right path.........saddly so few choose it.

June 23, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  21. Tired of W, OH

Biden was always my favorite among the 2nd tier candidates. He's a straight-shooter and I think he'd make a great VP.

June 23, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  22. Independent LAWYER for Obama

Biden was still pretty coy about it – he said he didn't want to be asked and made it sound as though it would be his duty to serve if asked.

I think Obama needs a governor or someone in the military, though – a VP who isn't also a senator.

June 23, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  23. Robert

"am I going to say to the first African-American candidate about to make history in the world"

I swear you Dems are much more infatuated with the race factor then any of the Republicans. I guess you really feel the need to pat yourselves on the back.

June 23, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  24. Mark

Did someone check whether Joe plagiarized his acceptance speech??

June 23, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  25. Vote Nader

I have a lot of respect for Sen. Biden, and was a supporter of his Presidential run until he exited. He would make a great Vice President, and an even better President, but I don't like seeing it with Sen. Obama on the top of the ticket.

I don't expect him to be asked, the Democratic Party showed no respect for this man late last year and early this. What is wrong with your party that you would have let this man be marginalized?

His honesty, intelligence and heart is unmatched in politics.

VotePact