June 23rd, 2008

Biden: I'd say yes to being VP

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/23/art.biden.gi.jpg caption="Joe Biden said he would say yes to being VP."]

(CNN) – Delaware Sen. Joe Biden on Sunday appeared to violate a widely unwritten rule among those with a remote shot at becoming a vice presidential nominee: He actually admitted he would take the job.

"The answer I’ve got to say is yes," the former Democratic presidential candidate said on NBC's "Meet the Press" when asked if he'd be willing to serve as Barack Obama's No. 2.

The frank answer is a sharp departure from the responses of many of those in both parties considered to be in the running for the job, most of whom repeatedly say they are not interested in the position and do not expect to be seriously considered for it. Some, such as Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland, have even flatly said they will not serve if asked.

Related: Who's on the VP short lists?

Speaking on Sunday, Biden added he did not "want to be asked" to serve as vice president. But the six-term senator with a lengthy foreign policy resume said he would not refuse to help his party's presidential nominee in that capacity.

"Of course [I would say yes]," he said. "If the presidential nominee thought I could help him win - am I going to say to the first African-American candidate about to make history in the world that, 'No, I will not help you out like you want me to'? Of course . . . I'll say yes."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Just Ask Hillary

John McSame is funny. He has this smirk on his face as if he's going to beat Barack in November. It's the same smirk that Hillary had on her face.

Understand this, Barack is a lightning in the bottle, one time candidate who will be a great leader. His supporters are supporting him because he is talking our language, not Goverment speak. So yes, we will stand behind him and will win in November. Make no mistake about it, that smirk will leave John McSame's face. Why? Because he thinks Barack is beatable. Barack is not beatable because most Americans are with him. And, hidden behind the John McSame's smirk is a feeling that a black man can't win. Think again, not only will he win, but he's going to win big.

So keep the smirk John, because the American people will have the last laugh.

June 23, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  2. demwit

Of course he would...., he's from Delaware!!

June 23, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  3. Alice

I think Biden would be a GREAT pick. That said, I watched his interview yesterday - and he certainly did not seem to want it.

June 23, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  4. BIFF, BIFFINGTON...

Just read the responses regarding obama saying "crack down on oil speculators"... (which, of course, IS the right and only approach to bring prices in line as testified to in Congress).

Gaging from the rabid vociferous and yet similar but varied responses in total opposition to anything Obama says....

I'd say the level of nastiness in response means...

HE STRUCK A NERVE AND HIT TOO CLOSE TO HOME FOR COMFORT!

nice jog, Obama.

June 23, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  5. richard

Biden, Richardson, or Clark!

June 23, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  6. john

It realy is the only answer...I'd say yes too if asked, but I wouldn't go around campaigning for it. He'd be a better Sec. of State.

June 23, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  7. Anonymous

Now that's a winning ticket!!

June 23, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  8. Sarah, Northern Colorado

Finally, someone comes forward and insists on putting the standard game of coy to bed! It would be greatly refreshing if everyone would do this, rather than lie, say they wouldn't, and then end up trying to win an Oscar when asked.

June 23, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  9. Brian

Will race play a role in the election? Let's ask the Alabama state constitution!

Separate schools shall be provided for white and colored children, and no child of either race shall be permitted to attend a school of the other race. A proposal to repeal this provision was narrowly defeated in 2004.

When both presidential candidates were born they could NOT use the same water fountains.

So yes, race will play a role.... unless the Republicans nominate an Afican-American to be VP...... but we all know this NEVER happen because the Republican party have ONLY nominated white, male protestants (mormons need not apply).

June 23, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  10. jrzshor

obama's biggest mistake was pretending to be: new, different, change etc. He cannot then pick an old time politician for any position especially VP. He has boxed himself in. Unless of course change etc just means NOT REPUBLICAN (or taking federal money!!).

June 23, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  11. Anita from Arizona

Very interesting....

June 23, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  12. MD

I am shocked !!!! Biden accepting the VP position? What, nothing left to plagiarize Joe?

June 23, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  13. vic nashville,Tn

Every one want to get into the bus , they know this bus will reach the White House

Because pundits are pushing that

But after 4years pundits stop pushing this bus

Because they will under the bus

Hillary 08 or Mc Cain 08

June 23, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  14. Bradley In Colorado

Alright, Joe Biden!

Obama/whoever '08

McCain/PUMA NEVER

June 23, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  15. Francis N

I think it is a welcome idea, and he will make a good number 2 spot.

June 23, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  16. out of work

go for it

June 23, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  17. Adam Damiano

No wonder Mark Levin calls Biden the dumbest man in the senate

June 23, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  18. Shawn

Joe Biden? Only if they are willing to rename their party the Socialist Worker's Party, but that would be a little too honest.

June 23, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  19. Rock On America

Race, it's a dirty ugly secret in America that has kept us divided for centuries. It rears it's ugly head to keep politicians from winning elections, to keep people from voting, to keep minorities separated from each other, and to keep people voting for a party that's not in their best interest, i.e. 2000, and 2004.

How refreshing it is to look beyond race, and vote for the person that will lead the country out of this mess that GW created. How wonderful to pick the best person regardless of race, or gender, or age. Yes, whether we like it or not America is growing and I love the way it feels.

We've been telling our kids that anyone can be president in America, and this time we mean it.

Americans, you rock!!!!

June 23, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  20. McCrazy

Hillary Clinton would have been the real change from Bush. A president who knows what she is doing. Obama will be Bush on the other side. NO clue how to run this country.

June 23, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  21. shawn

I love Joe Biden

June 23, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  22. Arby

I think he'd make a gret choice

June 23, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  23. I'll say yes."

CNN................Of course [I would say yes]," he said. "If the presidential nominee thought I could help him win — am I going to say to the first African-American candidate about to make history in the world that, 'No, I will not help you out like you want me to'? Of course . . . I'll say yes.".............I think Sen. Joe Biden Is just what the Doctor Order
    ...........He has a lengthy foreign policy resume which would help The
    party in that capacity

June 23, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  24. Moe, NY

Way to go Joe! Obama/Biden ticket would be a great one!

June 23, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  25. Ken Austin, TX

Thanks for your honesty, and on that token, I hope the VP job is presented to you!

June 23, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |