June 23rd, 2008

Biden: I'd say yes to being VP

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/23/art.biden.gi.jpg caption="Joe Biden said he would say yes to being VP."]

(CNN) – Delaware Sen. Joe Biden on Sunday appeared to violate a widely unwritten rule among those with a remote shot at becoming a vice presidential nominee: He actually admitted he would take the job.

"The answer I’ve got to say is yes," the former Democratic presidential candidate said on NBC's "Meet the Press" when asked if he'd be willing to serve as Barack Obama's No. 2.

The frank answer is a sharp departure from the responses of many of those in both parties considered to be in the running for the job, most of whom repeatedly say they are not interested in the position and do not expect to be seriously considered for it. Some, such as Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland, have even flatly said they will not serve if asked.

Related: Who's on the VP short lists?

Speaking on Sunday, Biden added he did not "want to be asked" to serve as vice president. But the six-term senator with a lengthy foreign policy resume said he would not refuse to help his party's presidential nominee in that capacity.

"Of course [I would say yes]," he said. "If the presidential nominee thought I could help him win - am I going to say to the first African-American candidate about to make history in the world that, 'No, I will not help you out like you want me to'? Of course . . . I'll say yes."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. AJ

I like Joe. I trust that Joe has the best interests of the nation at heart. If Joe had been the democratic nominee I would have been very happy to support him. I do think however that this is very unseemly behavior. No matter what Joe says, he's dying to be asked to be Vice President. That’s OK but he could have made an attempt not to be so obvious about it. I would also caution those that are on Obama's short list to think about it very hard. Providing that Obama has a successful presidency (if elected) the democratic Vice President has a good shot at being the nominee in 2016. The problem is that there are no indications that Obama will have a successful presidency. While he may spout a lot of wonderful sounding platitudes, there is absolutely no evidence that he will be able to accomplish anything. He has managed to write a few very self-serving books and make some great speeches, but he has really accomplished nothing of importance during his political career. I have been a democrat for 30 years but unless Obama can show me something other than rhetoric in the next few months I won’t be supporting him in the fall.

June 23, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  2. Independent in Iowa

A respectable man. Obama's supporters were very rude to his neice during the Iowa Caucus in January.

June 23, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  3. Michelle

Before Obama picks a VP candidate, could he please be required to produce an ORIGINAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE!

That paper shown at his Web site is just a certification of live birth. It is a short form and is missing information.

Come on. Why isn' t the media all over this? It's in the Constitution that the POTUS must be NATIVE BORN.

I am an ordinary citizen and I have had to produce an ORIGINAL for common, everyday situations for both me and my son.

Obama is running for the highest position in the country. He should be required to prove, beyond any doubt, that he is native born.

CNN, please post this comment here as there is no other thread for this important issue. Or please start a thread, "Should all candidates for President have to supply original birth cerificates or some type of solid proof of birthplace?"

Thank you.

June 23, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  4. Sorensen

Joe Biden is honest and brilliant. And he knows more about the
    world than anybody in Washington.
    He would be a superb VP, admired and respected around the world.
    Indeed, he would have been a superb President.
    He might be a touch too sophisticated and direct for the electorate
    most of whom do not know exactly where Germany, Israel or Burma
    are on a map. But that is something Obama would have to work on.

June 23, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  5. I'll say yes."

CNN................Of course [I would say yes]," he said. "If the presidential nominee thought I could help him win — am I going to say to the first African-American candidate about to make history in the world that, 'No, I will not help you out like you want me to'? Of course . . . I'll say yes.".............I think Sen. Joe Biden Is just what the Doctor Order
    ...........He has a lengthy foreign policy resume which would help The
    party in that capacity

CNN plz POST

June 23, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  6. Santosangre

Three years ago I thought the best ticket possible would be Biden/Obama. I guess the reverse will be just as good.

June 23, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  7. Crush Rush

Yes Joe,lets go,this is going to be like Ali vs Sonny Liston.The American people beat up the Neocons in the first round for the knockout.

June 23, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  8. TJ Johnson

Should Obama opt for Biden for VP, he will again say there is no change from the past. Biden is a very abrasive anti-republican. How can a man govern when more than 1/2 the country starts out as opposed to him? Note the governance of Pres Bush, who has had to deal with 1/2 the country opposing him from day 1. The same thing will repeat here with Obama, and adding that to the abrasive Biden, will only insure the same kind of government – all bad!

June 23, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  9. Mary

Yes to Biden!

June 23, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  10. Woman4Obama

Although I admire Bill Richarson & think he brings help on the Latino front, I have to say Obama/Biden or Obama/Webb is the best choice.Both have the gravitas to take on the GOP attack machine with foreign policy experience to blunt FOX NEWS scare tactics.

June 23, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  11. Frostlanta

I think Obama should be allowed to pick his running mate without the media picking it for him. It seems odd that no one is really covering who MCSane has for a potential running mate, but every time a name comes up on the Obama ticket it gets 24hour media coverage. I have complete faith that Barack will chose the best VP canidate for the country and not just to win the election.

June 23, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  12. Antoine

At least someone with the honsety to admit he'd take it. It annoys me when politicians do that. Say they don't expect to be asked or they wouldn't accept knowing all along they would accept.

June 23, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  13. Ms. Smith

Good choice! Without someone of Biden's experience in foreign affairs, I'm afraid Mr. Obama doesn't stand even a glimmer of a chance of winning.

June 23, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  14. Woman4Obama

Although I admire Bill Richarson & think he brings help on the Latino front, I have to say Obama/Biden or Obama/Webb is the best choice.Both have the gravitas to take on the GOP attack machine with foreign policy experience to boot.

June 23, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  15. Johnny,

I think he will be an excellent VP choice.

June 23, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  16. Turning the page

We're tired if lying manipulative hypocritical politicians.

Obama/Biden 08

June 23, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  17. No Socialist, NY

Biden is one of the most arrogant people in congress. As a VP candidate he would be sure to drag Obama down even further, so bring him on! Then, vote for EXPERIENCE and WISDOM-McCAIN 2008!

June 23, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  18. Rob K.

This would be a dream ticket. He would ravage McCain's VP candidate in debates. By far a very knowledgable candidate and one that would provide needed gravitas.

June 23, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  19. al

Biden = Secretary of State
    Hagel = VP

Obama / Hagel 08

June 23, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  20. MikeH

Joe Biden is dull. Obama can and should choose someone more dynamic.

C'mon CNN, let's have more ticker stories that are thinly-veiled swift-boat type propaganda pieces against Obama, where you can select the posts to push your covert Republican agenda. You sure buried the 'Enron Loophole/ Phil Grahm/John McCain' connection fast, that was a close one. Imagine the furore if people caught on that McCain's corrupt economic adviser Grahm is responsible for the skyrocketing oil prices. Doubt you'll post this.

June 23, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  21. TommyO

Why does Obama's race matter in his accepting the nomination? I am so sick of all the so-called PC dems out there pretending to not see race but pointing out race at every turn.

June 23, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  22. Dorian in NC

As much as I like Obama, I was so ready to vote for Joe Biden!!!

Obama-Biden ticket would be one of the greatest pair to ever run this country! Both truly believe in SERVING the American people above their own self interests...

June 23, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  23. Ann

Well at least someone is answering honestly rather than avoiding the topic altogether...

June 23, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  24. carlo

Biden is just what Obama needs to go against McCain. I love Biden. He just says what he thinks and to heck with the rest. He's got guts.

June 23, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  25. Lee

I used to respect Joe Biden, but now it appears that his ambition to become V.P. has colored his position and his statements.

June 23, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |