June 23rd, 2008

Biden: I'd say yes to being VP

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/23/art.biden.gi.jpg caption="Joe Biden said he would say yes to being VP."]

(CNN) – Delaware Sen. Joe Biden on Sunday appeared to violate a widely unwritten rule among those with a remote shot at becoming a vice presidential nominee: He actually admitted he would take the job.

"The answer I’ve got to say is yes," the former Democratic presidential candidate said on NBC's "Meet the Press" when asked if he'd be willing to serve as Barack Obama's No. 2.

The frank answer is a sharp departure from the responses of many of those in both parties considered to be in the running for the job, most of whom repeatedly say they are not interested in the position and do not expect to be seriously considered for it. Some, such as Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland, have even flatly said they will not serve if asked.

Related: Who's on the VP short lists?

Speaking on Sunday, Biden added he did not "want to be asked" to serve as vice president. But the six-term senator with a lengthy foreign policy resume said he would not refuse to help his party's presidential nominee in that capacity.

"Of course [I would say yes]," he said. "If the presidential nominee thought I could help him win - am I going to say to the first African-American candidate about to make history in the world that, 'No, I will not help you out like you want me to'? Of course . . . I'll say yes."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. YES YOU CAN!!!!!

CNN................Of course [I would say yes]," he said. "If the presidential nominee thought I could help him win — am I going to say to the first African-American candidate about to make history in the world that, 'No, I will not help you out like you want me to'? Of course . . . I'll say yes.".............I think Sen. Joe Biden Is just what the Doctor Order
    ...........His lengthy foreign policy resume would help The party in that capacity...........GREAT CHOICE!!!!!

June 23, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  2. catjax

Why do they want your help now Mr. Biden?. You are too good to be just vice-president. On the other hand, you are probably right when you say they need your help badly. Obama needs someone who has the experience on how to run this country since he absolutely have zero on this matter. Why will he be running when there are more qualified people? I am truly disappointed on him being the presumed nominee because he was running based on race. Even if you run with him, I am sorry that I have to look the other way and vote for Senator Mccain. At least I know a lot what he stands for. All talk and no substance is not my basis for electing someone who would determine the fate of this country.

June 23, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  3. Time4Change

I like Joe, he's the man... McCrazy, I have news for you... there is no comparison between Obama and the fool you voted for (Bush).

June 23, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  4. Max Chang

Joe Biden's probably the perfect choice.

June 23, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  5. Obama-Biden 2008!

Great team!

June 23, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  6. Change and Broken Promises

The 2 most liberal, out of touch candidates in the Democratic Primary on the same ticket? God help all of us who fought to have the voice of the moderate branch of the Dem party heard for a change.

June 23, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  7. Rob - vegas

this would be an INCREDIBLE VP. He's honest, he's frank,he doesn't mix his words, he's got incredible foreign policy experience, and he and Barack seem to get along nicely.

Would love for Joe to be VP. Is it bad that he's honest about saying "yes" not one bit, cause he's being HONEST!

June 23, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  8. JL

Both deeply beholden to Big Agribusiness, the most heavily subsidized industry in America today, by both taxpayer money and cheap illegal immigrat labor. Of course, they will want to promote growing corn for fuel instead of food rather than drilling/refining more oil because it is wildly profitable to agribusiness. The price of food AND oil will keep going up, up, up....

June 23, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  9. H

TRAITOR. THAT IS WHY HE ENDORSED BARACK OBAMA. HE WANTS THIS IN RESPONSE TO HIS ENDORSEMENT. JUST LIKE POLITICANS.

June 23, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  10. betsy crews

I hope sen. obama will seriously consider sen. biden. this will be the best no-nonsense man for the job. we will not have another sneeky chaney, that's for sure.

June 23, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  11. Mary Hada

Joe Biden? No way! Doesn't anyone remember he's a plagerizing liar? Besides being a slick willy. And I'm a democrat do or die. If Biden is on the ticket, I'm an independent.

June 23, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  12. WoMeN4McCain

McCrazy....thats just crazy talk. Your girl Hillary would be no count as president. My man McCain is the one. You might as well get on the McCain train. Its picking up steam.

June 23, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  13. Mark, B'ham., Al.

He does give Obama some experience to cover his lack of experience. But I wonder if he will be able to control Obama's Liberalism as he is the most Liberal Voting Member of the Senate. I doubt anyone will control Obama's ideology! Obama is Chicago Politics through and through! We will go back to the 60's failed socialism and Jimmy Carter Economics and Energy Policy!

McCain 08

June 23, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  14. Oh, people!

It doesn't matter who Obama and McCain choose, these blogs will fill up with the usual complainers.

June 23, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  15. Independent

Since Obama has no track record and practically no experience for the job, it seems he'll even need a map to find the Oval Office.

For that, and other reasons ~~ like getting VOTES ~~ he NEEDS HILLARY as VP.

June 23, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  16. Mark

Better go for Hillary if you want the White house.

June 23, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  17. marv. g

McCrazy, you and the rest of the hilaryites are taking this too far. Hilary lost, and even with limbaugh's operation chaos tatics( so called 18 million votes), she couldn't beat obama. do what's good for the country and our party and throw your support behind obama or just sit quietly on the sidelines.

June 23, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  18. jeh15

I happen to like Joe Biden, he'd be a VP with a lot of gravitas. I'd vote for Obama faster with Biden on the ticket.

June 23, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  19. Patrick Henry

He'd volunteer for anything to stay in the light!!

June 23, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  20. Dennis

That is a refreshing change. I'm sure Obama will make a good choice.

June 23, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  21. M Johnson

Clinton-Barr '08. Change is bad.

June 23, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  22. Greg

Joe Biden would make a great choice for V.P. , he seems quite intelligent and has great foreign policy experience.

However, I think he was telling the truth when he said he's not interested. Biden is just more truthful than the average politician so he's gonna tell the truth; if Obama asked he would have to serve.

June 23, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  23. democrat in the white house

I think he would be a great VP ,then the country can't use the excuse well Obama was not experienced on Foreign Policy and we were at war, Joe Biden's FP experience makes McCain look like the amateur he is. What a true Democrat who is willing to help the party .

Obama/Biden 08!!!!

YES WE CAN DEMOCRATS !!!

June 23, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  24. Rave

Anyone but Hillary for VP.
    OBAMA (2008 -16)

June 23, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  25. Jonathan, Hartford, CT

Hillary. No other choice.

June 23, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |