June 23rd, 2008

Biden: I'd say yes to being VP

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/23/art.biden.gi.jpg caption="Joe Biden said he would say yes to being VP."]

(CNN) – Delaware Sen. Joe Biden on Sunday appeared to violate a widely unwritten rule among those with a remote shot at becoming a vice presidential nominee: He actually admitted he would take the job.

"The answer I’ve got to say is yes," the former Democratic presidential candidate said on NBC's "Meet the Press" when asked if he'd be willing to serve as Barack Obama's No. 2.

The frank answer is a sharp departure from the responses of many of those in both parties considered to be in the running for the job, most of whom repeatedly say they are not interested in the position and do not expect to be seriously considered for it. Some, such as Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland, have even flatly said they will not serve if asked.

Related: Who's on the VP short lists?

Speaking on Sunday, Biden added he did not "want to be asked" to serve as vice president. But the six-term senator with a lengthy foreign policy resume said he would not refuse to help his party's presidential nominee in that capacity.

"Of course [I would say yes]," he said. "If the presidential nominee thought I could help him win - am I going to say to the first African-American candidate about to make history in the world that, 'No, I will not help you out like you want me to'? Of course . . . I'll say yes."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Ian

For some reason the Obama/Biden ticket eerily reminds me of Kennedy/Johnson.

June 23, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  2. DS

This would be great!! Obama / Biden 08!!!!

June 23, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  3. DISGUSTED

SENATOR BIDEN PLEASE STAY IN THE SENATE. YOU HAVE DONE GREAT FOR DELAWARE.

June 23, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  4. Ray, NM

Recipe for sure disaster. I don't think even Hillary can make a difference now. Remember, the road not taken was the correct road to WH.

June 23, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  5. Nevada Independant

That would be an incredible ticket.
    Joe Biden has long stood for many of the things the people are now realizing they need and want. One of those things is frank and honest talk, and his answer is just one more example of his no BS style.

June 23, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  6. RAC

He seems clean and articulate enough for the job.

June 23, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  7. rom, NY

I failed to post the following comment to the right thread
    FOR THOSE who said it's Obama who is playing the race card first when he said to his supporters in FLorida "....... Did I mention he's black?", let me refresh your memory by referring to the comment made by a Trash Republican in Texas, here's what he said "If Obame is elected, should he change the white house name ?" WHAT'S THAT ???
    Oh no, it's not coming from the McCain Campaign, Yeah but still Obama didn't mention McCain in his comment in Florida, he mentioned Republicans as a whole
    Think also about the comment made on Fox News about his wife Michelle

June 23, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  8. Isaac

Both Presidential candidates are Senators. I don't think it'd be a wise decision to choose another Senator for Veep, not if the idea is to round the ticket out at any rate.

June 23, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  9. Eli

No self respecting true DEMOCRAT would take the VP slot if offered from Obama. OH I forgot these are not self respecting TRUE DEMOCRATS.
    Go sign your name on election day but dont vote, lets show the DEM heads that they can not shove someone down our throats.

June 23, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  10. demwit

"first African-American candidate"??

And where was Joe when Jessie and Al were running....

June 23, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  11. pat

Obama-Biden....YES THEY CAN!!!

Obama-Clinton(s)....NO, THEY WON'T!

June 23, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  12. John from LA

Amazing-I thought he'd go for someone like himself-inexperienced, green and a political "outsider"-some Change! I guess "experience" does matter after all...

June 23, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  13. Who Cares What The DNC Thinks

I guess all the Obamabots are too young to remember that Biden once had to quit a presidential race because of his own scandal. I hope Biden or Webb either one gets the VP slot, they both have enough skeletons in their closet for the 527s to pick apart.

June 23, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  14. Miguel A Veras

God Willing I hope NOT, and I HOPE WITH MORE of GODS WILL that Obama NEVER, EVER, EVER Becomes President.

Do you want socialism, do you want to work for Obama and his 'programs of change' ... because that is what you will be doing.

Just SAY "No" to Both. God Willing.

June 23, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  15. Jac

Biden has the credentials on foreign policy that neither McCain nor Obama have. In other words, Biden seems to have an understanding of asymetric warfare and he understands the trade-offs that were made to get us into this mess and what kinds of move we need to initiate to get us out. he also understands the zero sum game we have gotten ourselves into with China.
    Now is he Hillary Clinton – a bonfied genius – no but, he's sharp, experienced, and can explain his positions with clarity and sound logic – unlike McCain – who basically says stay the course and trust me. Sorry John the American people did that for 8 years and the South as well as the rest of the country has gotten sick of eating mud.

June 23, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  16. randy

i have a man crush on this guy,he is the real straight talk express.not that funny looking john macain.biden i think you will get the job.

June 23, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  17. John from White Plains, NY

he would be an excellent choice...

June 23, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  18. Ross in MD

Biden seemed very intelligent, honest, and aggressive on Sunday.

It would be great if he was VP. I'm sure whomever Obama picks will be great.

June 23, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  19. Chris

I heart Joe Biden. Obama/Biden '08!!! (Obama/Dem '08!)

June 23, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  20. Kenneth Texas

Alright a up front honest man; pick him Obama

June 23, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  21. Sean

Joe Biden is a fantastic man and Senator. I would be thrilled if Obama invited him to be his VP.

June 23, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  22. Ken

His words have gotten him in a lot of trouble before, but he is a true straight talker, But not a lot of people have the credentials as Biden, or the experience and network of foreign relations advisors as this Man Right here.

June 23, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  23. Josh

Didn't Richardson say the same thing? Is it really uncommon for someone to say that they would be Vice-President if asked?

June 23, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  24. Jo

I watched the piece you are referring and you are taking it absolutely out of context. You are misleading the public with this story and this type of distortion is why the media cannot be trusted.

I am by not means a Biden fan, but you should print his entire statement which was, and I'm paraphrasing, 'I have said and maintain that I am not interested in the Vice President position but would take it if asked and I thought it would help Obama win.'

Totally different from what your are reporting.
    You should be ashamed of yourselves and should not wonder why the is such distrust and disdain for some American news media.

June 23, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  25. Dave

Biden's comments showed his strength and weakness in one sentence – speaks his mind (without a brand name for it like "Straight Talk Express"), but his mind isn't always the smartest (implying that being part of the historical ticket is more of the appeal than, say, being VP of the USA). I like the guy, but he's just loose enough to be a liability.k

I don't understand why former Sec'y of State Albright isn't mentioned more as a VP candidate. What is she doing now? Did better at the middle east peace efforts than most, would appeal to the Hillary loyalists who wanted to vote gender (but without actually pandering to that sentiment), generally respected I think throughout the party.

Obama / Albright '08