June 23rd, 2008

Biden: I'd say yes to being VP

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/23/art.biden.gi.jpg caption="Joe Biden said he would say yes to being VP."]

(CNN) – Delaware Sen. Joe Biden on Sunday appeared to violate a widely unwritten rule among those with a remote shot at becoming a vice presidential nominee: He actually admitted he would take the job.

"The answer I’ve got to say is yes," the former Democratic presidential candidate said on NBC's "Meet the Press" when asked if he'd be willing to serve as Barack Obama's No. 2.

The frank answer is a sharp departure from the responses of many of those in both parties considered to be in the running for the job, most of whom repeatedly say they are not interested in the position and do not expect to be seriously considered for it. Some, such as Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland, have even flatly said they will not serve if asked.

Related: Who's on the VP short lists?

Speaking on Sunday, Biden added he did not "want to be asked" to serve as vice president. But the six-term senator with a lengthy foreign policy resume said he would not refuse to help his party's presidential nominee in that capacity.

"Of course [I would say yes]," he said. "If the presidential nominee thought I could help him win - am I going to say to the first African-American candidate about to make history in the world that, 'No, I will not help you out like you want me to'? Of course . . . I'll say yes."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Adam

I like Sen. Biden and wouldn't mind seeing him on the ticket, but I think Sen. Obama would be better served in the GE by someone who is a southerner or by someone who has an extensive military background.

June 23, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  2. Kevin

Joe Biden was most knowleagable of the real issues in all the debate he paticipated in. I like Obama/Biden more than Obama/Richardson and Obama/Sebelius

June 23, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  3. dan

YES, would much rather have Biden over the unqualified junior senator HRC as VP. Would be an amazing ticket!

June 23, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  4. scotty

Wow more t\like BUSH dayly. Ill get someone who knows more then me for a VP (Just like Chaney) Ill also surround myself with corn producers and farm unions that sponsor ethonal as the new energy (bush has the big oil) E85 is not a good idea more wist in the long run and little bang for the buck so it sounds good until you look at it. but when your conected to a group you never look at other sorces andget stuck. gas maybe over $4 today bread will be tommorrow. (wheat is also a E85 source)

June 23, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  5. Natasha/Supporter of Democrats

Yes we can...............

McCain can't handle the true!!!!!
    Just because you serve in the military does not make you fit for president either. I know alot of good people in the military who really don't have a clue about anything else but military and war. It sounds familiar DON"T IT? GEORGE W. BUSH knows nothing but war, and he skip out serving our country. SO if you McCain supporters want him then I suggest we send you to war as well. GET OUTTA HUR!!!!!

Obama '08-– All day, every day as President!

June 23, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  6. dEMOBRAT

Will race based -ads still play a role?

Sure, Obama's running one right now in rural WHITE American areas. The spot makes sure that you see him with his white mother and grandparents.

I wonder if he'll run that one in South carolina and other regions where he wants to pander to the African American vote?

June 23, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  7. No Biden

Obama could do better, Biden is good, but he's still a little infatuated by Barack's race. We don't need that.

June 23, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  8. 100% Democrat

McCain you don't stand a chance.

June 23, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  9. whocares

He's a windbag in a coat and tie. He spew's out a lot of words, but never really says anything...like most politicians.

June 23, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  10. A Latte Lover, Seattle, WA

After watching Joe on Meet the Press yesterday, any fears I had are gone. I would definitely vote that ticket.

Obama/Biden, 08

June 23, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  11. Kenneth M

NO NEED FOR AMANDA: Amanda Hillary supporter now for mccain STATED THAT SHE NOW SUPPORTS MCCAIN. HOW SPITEFULL. GUESS THE WAR WILL GO ON FOR ANOTHER 4 TO 8 YEARS. FOLKS LIKE HER FORGET THAT OBAMA WAS BEATING THE DAYLIGHTS OUT OF HILLARY WHEN THE DNC STEPPED IN AND PUT HER OUT OF HER Misery

June 23, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  12. Obama/Hillary 08

Why not say yes, Biden is frank and honest he is not like all the others that want the job by keep denying the fact that they want it.

June 23, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  13. KJ, CA

Biden has been my choice for number two for quite awhile. While he has been on Capitol Hill for awhile, he is a no nonsense kind of guy – straight shooter who gets things done. Mirrors Obama's ideology very nicely and his extensive experience in foreign relations/policy plugs the hole that the Reps are trying to hit Barack on.

June 23, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  14. Ben

Obama /Biden Great Choice!!!!!!!!!
    Obama /Clinton Bad choice!!!!!!
    McCain/Clinton the only way the republicans could win this election

June 23, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  15. Baffled

This article is highly misleading in my opinion. I saw the show. He did say he would say yes if asked but he was very clear that he did not want to be asked and he did not expect to be asked. He said that IF he was asked, he COULD NOT say no. The point he was trying to make was that if the nominee thought he could bring something to the ticket to help the Democrats win, he had to do his part and agree to be the running mate. What a shocker that CNN would twist the story.

June 23, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  16. oil rules

Definitely clean and articulate. Wonder if his plan for the energy situation is raise taxes too? Heard all the poo-poo on drilling, but where is their plan?

June 23, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  17. F. Lynn

What's wrong with being truthful

June 23, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  18. Chuck

Biden would be tough and is smart enough and sharp enough to make McCain and/or McCain's running mate pay dearly during any kind of debate on the issues.

For those who asked but would this be change as Biden has been a Washington political insider, quit looking for every move that Obama makes to come out of left field so it looks like total change from the past. Even if Biden were selected Obama would be in charge and that certainly is plenty of change. I can hear you people now. If Obama does not pick the seven dwarfs for his canbinet you'll say that Obama is not following through on the changes he promised. The only people who can ensure that this country changes its course as well as its politics is the people themselves. Obama is simply the vehicle. So stop with your lack of change comments. They are lame.

June 23, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  19. Nancy

I think Biden would make an exceptional VP however, I am still hopeful that either Edwards or Gore will come forward and agree to be VP. And Rea, where have you been living, under a stump????

OBAMA AND his personal choice

June 23, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  20. Lisa Lindsey

With Senator Biden as his running mate...my vote would go to Obama even though I was pro Hilary.

June 23, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  21. Bobby

The lead of this story clearly shows how CNN feels about Joe Biden as vice president, when they have 0 evidence of who or who isn't being considered (apparently Hillary Clinton is the only rational choice). Biden, who I supported in the primaries as far as I'm concerned was the most qualified to be president. As much as I'd love him to hold the great big title of vice president, he'd be an ideal Secretary of State. I could settle for an Obama-Biden ticket.

June 23, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  22. Loretta from California

sounds like the implication here is that some of our congressional leaders are saying NO because Senator Obama is an African-American candidate. I hope that this is not the case, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were.

Senator Biden has always been very strong, and always direct with his statements. I admire these qualities and I think he would make a great VP. Still hoping for Senator Clinton though.

June 23, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  23. Ms. D

Biden, Nunn or Clarke would all make good VP's.

June 23, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  24. 1100RT

- "If the presidential nominee thought I could help him win — am I going to say to the first African-American candidate about to make history in the world that, 'No, I will not help you out like you want me to'? Of course . . . I'll say yes."

HEY JOE– What's Obama's COLOR got to do with your accepting a VP offer? Would you NOT accept if Obama were a white candidate? We've got to get away from "race" in politics, whether it's pro-somebody's-race or anti-race.

June 23, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  25. Kenneth

Joe is a fighter who brings more than experience to the post but a also a pitt bull mind set .

June 23, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |