June 24th, 2008

McCain wants government to set energy example

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/06/24/campaign.wrap/art.mccain.gi.jpg caption="Sen. John McCain is pushing energy efficiency and conservation on the campaign trail."](CNN) - Sen. John McCain on Tuesday told voters that energy efficiency "should begin at home" and proposed that the federal government purchase more environmentally friendly vehicles.

"Every year the federal government buys upwards of 60,000 cars and other vehicles, not including military or law-enforcement vehicles," McCain said.

Watch: McCain unveils his energy plan

"From now on, we're going to make those civilian vehicles flex-fuel capable, plug-in hybrid or cars fueled by clean natural gas. If our great goal is to move American transportation toward lower carbon emissions, then it should start with the federal fleet."

Full story

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Greg, NY

Just curious, what kind of cars do the two campaigns use to drive them around?

What kind of planes?

Maybe they should start with their own campaigns first, then start complaining about other areas.

June 24, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  2. Jim

Nice!!! Wow...even though I am an Obama supporter, I must say, bravo Mr. Mccain! I'm getting more respect for him as he sticks to the issues. I hope they can work in a bipartisan fashion when this election is over...actually i hope they could start now...

June 24, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  3. Not fooled by distractions.

I guess maybe they should have left Jimmy Carters solar panels up then huh.

June 24, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  4. Enlightened Voter

Get with it will ya? Obama said that late last year you moron and Obama went alot further than you are willing too. A little too late john mcwar, btw we know you could care less about the enviornment but your advisors are telling you to pandar to the independents so you'll say anything. But curious how you now care for the enviornment but you announced two days ago you want off shore drilling. John, you've got to keep your lies straight honey.

June 24, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  5. P, CA

Someone his age talking about energy? That's like Bob Dole saying "The men of this country need to set the precedent on erections".

Sorry. Thanks to Bush, the Republicans will be viewed as backward thinking, "give me my oil now" fools. And all the energy in the world exerted on McCain's part won't push us toward new energies that will help us. Only back to big oil and Iraq.

Nice try.

June 24, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  6. Uncle Sam

Another good idea: Convention Delegate's Reversal Stuns Party: Wisconsin Democrat Debra Bartoshevich, previously pledged to Sen. Clinton, now publicly supports Sen. McCain. As you might imagine, she has lost her seat at the convention. But found her voice.

Citizens for McCain '08
    (Coalition of Independents & Democrats for McCain)

June 24, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  7. Upon Further Review

Well then you could fuel your limo on your own gas,your so full of it.

June 24, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  8. Earl

He will do anything to try and get elected.

"Yes My Friend we will get the energy thingy back on track,"
    Someone wake McSame up, there is already battery technology out there to do it....BUT

His buddy's in the Bush/Cheney/McCain circle don't and won't let it happen. Good try McWar..

Go ahead McSame ...You're making a fool of yourself everytime you open you mouth...

How did Bush say it on youtube?..."Fool me once....duh duh...you can't be fooled all the time."

June 24, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  9. johnny

Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 24, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  10. s

"...vehicles flex-fuel capable, plug-in hybrid or cars fueled by clean natural gas." John, do you yourself have and drive such a vehicle? If so, bravo!
    If not, get with the game plan–your own game plan.

June 24, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  11. independent

you have to be elected ,first.and you wont be.

June 24, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  12. Justin from West Haven, CT

How about McCain actually set one and not drill if he actually cares about the environment which he doesn't.

June 24, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  13. flavoter

That's this week, He's still flip-fopping in the wilderness.
    Why hasn't the oil company's drilled and started pumping oil from all the oil leases they already have? If the oil is there why would they not pump it, something smell with that. If there was money to be made the oil company would be pumping every drop out of there current leases, what's the hold up. John McCain has been in the Senate a long time and now he comes up with this ...WOW... a little slow on the uptake. The need for more and more oil has increased on his watch, why should we think he's serious now. Oh he wants to be president.

June 24, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  14. MD FOR OBAMA

No. How about the government give out energy efficient vehicles to the citizens of this country who will actually use them everyday for commuting to work, transporting their kids to their activities and driving to their vacations?

June 24, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  15. McCain's a Flip Flopping Fossil

mccain is CLUELESS!

Its sad to see him waste his time running for President.

June 24, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  16. Vote Nader

I like it.

Let's not wait until next year though. Put the bill in.

VotePact

** Nader/Gonzalez 2008 **

June 24, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  17. Dave C - NJ

Good thinking McCain.
    I'm a Dem, but recognize a good common sense plan.

June 24, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  18. Tom in Atlanta

If people would stop the "Prom King" mindset when voting and actually looked at the issues, Obama wouldn't stand a chance.

I'm an independent voter. When I look at the issues and such a lack of wisdom on Obama's behalf concerning energy, healthcare, and the economy I just have to hand my vote over to the Republicans this time! I wish the Dems would have been a little more thoughtful in their decision for a canidate. But then again, what do most Americans care about the issues for, "We just want to see history!" Hmm....

McCain '08

June 24, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  19. Carol, San Luis Obispo, CA

Well that's great news: I'm going to pay for their flex-fuel capable, plug-in hybrid and natural gas propelled cars.

So does that mean they will pay for one of those for me?

What's in it for me-a voter who is fuming mad when I fill up my car to go to work?

McCain just keeps missing the concept that the American voter needs more than a crumb from the table.

June 24, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  20. insanity

lol.. McCain is truly sad... On one hand he opens up the drilling in eco-sensitive areas and then on the other hand he set energy standards.

What sense does it make? Ny the time the new old comes to marked the oil consumption would have been reduced to a point where we don't need that oil.

Typical Bush/McCain tactics.. play both sides of the coin, hoping Americans are too stupid to understand what's going on.

I guess people who can vote for McCain are the people who don't really know what's going on, so they will eat this up.

vote with Love of America, Vote Obama.

June 24, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  21. JohnLee

And just where are our local governments supposed to get the extra money to do this. They are already taxing us to death. Maybe McCain's wife is going to foot the bill?

June 24, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  22. MCSAME!!!!!

our great goal is to move American transportation toward lower carbon emissions, then it should start with the federal fleet.".............
    GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

June 24, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  23. The T

That was the second worse speech I've heard him give...The first being the night Sen Obama got the notitation. This is crazy who write this stuff and who told him he could call me his friend...Mr. McCain (first time I've referred to him as Mr.) you are not my friend. I'm a Marine who has friends enaged in a war we all know is wrong but you. I will never forgive you and the others who voted on this war.

June 24, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  24. LET IT GO

WHAT A HOT MESS.

June 24, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  25. Reality Check Richmond Virginia

I agree,...now about that drilling off the coastline....................

June 24, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |