June 27th, 2008

Obama donates to Clinton campaign

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/06/26/clinton.obama/art.unity.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Obama and Michelle Obama donated to Clinton's debt."]
(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, each donated $2,300 Thursday to the campaign of his former opponent, Sen. Hillary Clinton, which is millions of dollars in debt.

In addition, Obama's national finance chairman, Penny Pritzker, and her husband donated another $2,300 each, said Obama communications director Robert Gibbs. The $2,300 is the maximum individual contribution allowed.

"[Obama] wrote a check himself, as well as his finance chairman, so I got two checks in my pocket for Hillary," said Clinton adviser Terry McAuliffe.

Asked how much the checks were for, he responded, "They maxed out."

Obama communications director Robert Gibbs confirmed the Obamas' donations.

The move comes nearly three weeks after Clinton suspended her campaign and endorsed Obama, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee.

Full story

1. Nick

Stupid...

If Clinton wasn't wise enough to handle her own money I'm glad she's out. I don't think the country could trust her to handle ours!

Hey, wait I've got mortgage debt and student loans to pay off. Maybe I should go begging to the American people to bail me out too. Talk about continuing to hand her everything on a silver spoon. I think the 22 million dollars extra that she spent (without thinking) should come out of her's and Bill's pocket. Let them reap the consequences for their actions.

June 27, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  2. Hello!!!

Where's Michelle's $2,300???????????? He wrote a check for the individual amount, WHERE"S MICHELLE'S????
    Oh, that's right, she has to wait to decide if she likes Hillary or not....certainly after BASHING her over and over, we all know the answer.

June 27, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  3. Kevin

I do not like Hillary and Bill. Obama should pay up her debt and ditch her forever. Its only a few days before June is over. Thank God Hillary`s dream never came true.

June 27, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  4. Joyce in Florida

Well, as usual, there is constant Hillary bashing. Why don't you people get a life? Stop the bashing already. It is getting really old. Hillary Clinton is a respectable, intelligent, and amazing woman. Obama and Clinton should be on the same ticket (wishing and hoping). Then, I definitely will vote for them this November. STILL A HILLARY CLINTON SUPPORTER AND HOPE TO SEE HER ALL THE WAY TO THE CONVENTION AND BEYOND. GO HILLARY 08!!!!!!

June 27, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  5. Ross, Brooklyn, NY

I love the way Obama leads by example.

Obama/Nunn '08/'12

June 27, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  6. Obama 08!!!

President Barack Obama!!! Democrats help Clinton retire her debt. Unity!!! Together WE WILL WIN! Vote Obama November 4.

June 27, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  7. Willy

A they call it puppy Love. Obama needs her to get close to the WH and he knows that. Thanks DNC!

June 27, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  8. Mike

Please!!!

I personally believe and hope that Senator Clintons support for Obama is insincere.

As soon as something scandalous comes out about the "Oh Great One," it will be too late for Obama to recover.

He will simply drop out of the race (or be forced out), and Senator Clinton will ride the wave to the White House (where she belongs), so in essence, Senator Clinton is helping herself while pretending to rally around Obama.

Go Hillary!

Senator Clinton is no fool, the White House is still within her grasp.

June 27, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  9. bright

Those that are claiming that Obama bought Hillary to drop out of the race lack logical progression in their thinking. These boards should be for people with logical arguments. Hillary did not drop out she was beaten squarely in a free and fair elections. Obama has proven his resolve wait until the general elections campaign heats up, McSame would age double!

June 27, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  10. Down with Obama

Wow, am I impressed...NOT!!!

No unity in Unity!!

PumaPAC

PUMA Democrats

June 27, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  11. Natasha/Supporter of Democrats/Obama

All of you Hillary Clinton supporters should contribute to her debt. If you are and were a true supporter show it. Stop your whinning and let's win this election.

YES WE CAN!!!!!!!
    Obama'08

June 27, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  12. Jackie - NYC

Has Obama done enough kissing up??!? I think so. Who are the Clinton's that they get this kind of treatment. She lost and is in debt because she ran an lousy campaign. 18 million votes – I don't think so – how many of those were republicans following Limbaugh. At the beginning of this primary I had a lot of respect for the Clinton's but now I wish they would both disappear from the political landscape. I live in NY and you can be sure I will not be voting for her if she runs for the senate again.

June 27, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  13. Mike

Keep in mind, Senator Clinton simply "suspended" her campaign.

The White House is still within her reach.

Rallying around NOBAMA is simply a rouse for her personal gain.

As "bad press" comes to light over Michelle & Barry, Senator Clinton is back where she belongs!

Go Hillary!!!!!!!

June 27, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  14. Texas Trail Dog

Who cares what Obama donated or didn't donate. I wonder how much he paid the Media and Kennedy, Kerrry, Dean, Pelosi, Richardson, Byrd. they're traitors to the Democrat party just like Obama. HILLARY I AM ASHAMED OF YOU. YOU WOULD TAKE THESE INSULTS BY OBAMA'S SUPPORTERS AND NOW STAND UP THERE BY HIS FILTHY SIDE TO VOUCH FOR HIM. NO WAY JOSE WILL THIS DEVIL'S DECIPLE GET MY VOTE. AND UNLESS YOU STRAIGHTEN UP HILLARY YOU WILL HAVE LOST MINE ALSO. McCAIN 08

June 27, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  15. Billiam

I don't understand this. This is money she lent to herself and he's helping her pay herself. There are no creditors involve, why help her.
    It's not like she is going to have a bad credit rating or anything.
    What's next, we reimburse her for money she spent on her utilitiy bills.
    Her money, her responsibility. It was an avoidable expense.

June 27, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  16. nor

although he seems that he is good man ,no one knows what is in his heart but time will tell whether he is a good guy or not , we have to wait and see ,politician is like the weather

June 27, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  17. MD FOR OBAMA

Obama is a very smart political game player. I am sure he really did not want to donate but he did anyway. Besides, this amount is "infinitesimal" to him.

Side note- I am in debt too and owe a bunch of money in student loans, Can someone donate $2300 bucks to me too?

June 27, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  18. think people

Clinton supporters,

Just a reminder what your former candidate said:

"Anyone who voted for me has very little in common with the Republican party. If you care about the issues I care about, and the future that I outlined during my campaign, then you really have to stay with us in the Democratic Party and vote for Sen. Obama to be our next president," she said in Washington on Tuesday."

'nuff said.

June 27, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  19. PG

To those who are Obama and Clinton haters:

Make sure McSame has his newspaper, slippers, coffee, during the weekends. He will need it!

June 27, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  20. Obama '08

Interesting enough, if the shoe had been on the other foot and Clinton was the nominee, Obama would not need donations because of the efficiency in how he handled his campaign finances. This man continues to illustrate why he's the best choice for President. Man I wish it was November!

June 27, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  21. Steve in DC

I love the way people in this country can turn a kind and unique gesture into an evil one. No wonder this country is headed to Hell in a hand basket. The Obamas should be commended for this. What an awesome President and First Lady!

June 27, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  22. Saad from NJ

What is this, some kind of a hilarious, funny, stupid, awesome, silly joke or something.... I thought this was "THE NEWS" section.

Thank you for starting my day with a good laugh buddies.

June 27, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  23. OBAMA SUPPORTER IN IOWA

Dear William Rinds,

You are a horribly misguided, bitter person who is dripping with negativity. I'm so sorry for you.

June 27, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  24. Michael in Columbus, Ohio

Ok, everyone lets stop all the whining and crying....It's a sad day in america when we claim we are democrats and because the person we wanted to win, did not do so and some of us still have to find some reason not to suck it up and band together rather than say we will vote for the other team, I feel like this, if you are willing to vote for the other team you should had gone on the other team in the beginning. All that should matter to us Democrats is that we gain control of our country again regardless who is leading the way....Say what you want about what I saying, I dont care but I do care about my country that has protected me, provided for me, and will do so for my children, and has done so for you as well.

What is so sad, i listen to the news and they always saying it's not Hillary and Barack causing the division in the party, it's not the campaigns causing the division, it is us the people who are supporting either of them causing it, Democrats Unite and lets make sure we take back control of our government and rid ourselves of GOP politics that has hurt us during the last 3 Republican administrations dating back to the Reagan years.

June 27, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  25. Jason

How could the Clinton juggernaut lose to a smooth talking, stand for nothing (while taking your money), empty suite, freshman senator from Chicago? What is this world coming to?!?!?!

BHO – Change (i.e. $$$) you can count on (him taking)

McCain '08