June 27th, 2008

Obama donates to Clinton campaign

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/06/26/clinton.obama/art.unity.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Obama and Michelle Obama donated to Clinton's debt."]
(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, each donated $2,300 Thursday to the campaign of his former opponent, Sen. Hillary Clinton, which is millions of dollars in debt.

In addition, Obama's national finance chairman, Penny Pritzker, and her husband donated another $2,300 each, said Obama communications director Robert Gibbs. The $2,300 is the maximum individual contribution allowed.

"[Obama] wrote a check himself, as well as his finance chairman, so I got two checks in my pocket for Hillary," said Clinton adviser Terry McAuliffe.

Asked how much the checks were for, he responded, "They maxed out."

Obama communications director Robert Gibbs confirmed the Obamas' donations.

The move comes nearly three weeks after Clinton suspended her campaign and endorsed Obama, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee.

Full story

1. AJ

Obama and his wife make me want to vomit. Here they are trying to purchase the support of Clinton supporters. What frauds.

June 27, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  2. B Jiggy

I"m tired of people talkin about experience. Where has Bush's experience taken us; foreclosures, wars, high gas prices, etc. What did Hillary's experience take her; 22 MILLION dollars in debt during the PRIMARY season. If that's the kind of experience you all are talking about i'll put my chips with the Junior Senator from illinois.

Go democrats

June 27, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  3. Wake up Clinton Supporter

Clinton supporters do not think when they going to vote for McBush..Hello think you have an idiot in the white house and now you want another idiot in the white house for another four more years THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK CLINTON SUPPORTERS!!! This country has gone through hell over the past 7 yrs under a misguided and mismanagement staff. Majority of the repbulicans are corrupted in the government. Hello think again, it might not hurt your brain at all to think who to vote for in Nov.I I am a clinton supporter and now I am a Obama support b/c i want only the democrat in the white house for the next 8 yrs. Lets not go in hell again.

June 27, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  4. Phil, San Jose, CA

I'm so tired of this sexist Democratic Party accusation garbage. Vote McCain? When do you think the Republicans would put an African-American or Woman up for President? Answer: NEVER!!! You people seriously need to wake up. McCain=Bye Bye Roe V. Wade, Bye Bye Gun Control laws, Bye Bye social programs, Bye Bye public school system and Hello more corporate fat cats running this country and death and destruction. You folks are really intelligent.

June 27, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  5. Posn

The experienced politician HRC campaign failed her. Thats how she lost. Nobody wants to lose but when we do we want to blame everyone and everything except where the blame belong. That ball was in, that ref must be blind, the coach doesnt like my child...........yada yada yada.

June 27, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  6. VV from Indiana

Larry King's guest last night from womenforfairpolitics.com was
    super, and right on target. She couldn't have stated their position
    more clearly, and without a doubt there are millions of women
    who support their goals and views.
    Also, after listening to the other guests, they seem to think that
    Obama will win over all of HRC's supporters just because she
    is now out campaigning and endorsing him. HRC has been given no choice in the matter, and she is doing what is expected of her, and also because she promised that she would try and unite the party.. But, bottom line is that there are many of us that WILL NOT VOTE for Obama, no matter what.. No unity this year.

June 27, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  7. Sal

What a bunch of theives the Clintons are! They are arrogant, elitist and downright far left political hacks. They are to me....Anti-American. Oh...boo...hoo....we are millionaires....can someone pay our bills for us....wah!

June 27, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  8. Lucas, Nashville TN

::SNICKER::

BWAH HA HAHAAA!! McCain? Brighter tomorrow? Please.

June 27, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  9. Ulysses Carter Jr

Instead of focusing on a dream ticket of Obama/Clinton I'd like to see it floated out there across the country of a dream Obama administration. For starters, let me be the first to endorse the idea of Hillary Clinton as the next Attorney General of the United States. Bush and his outlaws would quickly change their attitudes about being above the law. Carl Rove would have to account for his actions under oath. We'd finally get to the truth about the firing of those federal prosecutors. They'd have to answer questions under oath about all the falsehoods they used to involve us in an unwarranted war in Iraq. Cheney's underhandedness would come to the light. And the list just goes on and on ......!

June 27, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  10. Vote Nader

There are four other candidates Sen. Obama. And they are still running...

VotePact

** Nader/Gonzalez 2008 **

June 27, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  11. Joe in NJ

This is just a PR stunt.

June 27, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  12. MK

Some of you people are really idiots–or trolls–or both. You would have the Obamas sink to your petty level. There is MUCH MORE at stake than whatever grievances the Clinton or Obama campaigns might have from the primary period. It's now about party unity and winning the White House back from the Bush/Cheney/Rice oil cartel.

June 27, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  13. Rational1

Hello!! You and Mirta are nut jobs. Read the article. They both donated $2300 each. I guess Michelle DID change her mind. You must remember, there are people in this world who are willing to forgive and move on. Remember McCain and Bush's reconciliation? Your disgust with Obama is more than what you would like to admit. If it's because of the "ill-treatment" of Hillary during her campaign, you've got to remember it was Hill that said Barack needed to muscle-up. When he flexed on her, his muscle knocked her in the chin. Remember her comments "the sky will open up, the rain will come down" and etc. Remember the "weak" comments. Remember the "as far as I know he's Christian". Remember the "everything including the kitchen sink". Remember the "I'm more electable" comment – what does that mean exactly? I'm not going to hold her responsible for G. Ferraro and others comments, so I think you get where I'm going here. Be careful what you ask for, huh? Love Hillary, time to move on. Obama '08.

June 27, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  14. B French

Can someone please explain to me how in the world did Hillary think she was going to pay off this debt. She spent money she didn't have to run a campaign that was going nowhere. She wanted to be our President. What the hell is wrong with her. I've got a few bills Obama can help me with too. Where do I send the bill?

June 27, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  15. Linda1234

Interesting...let's see if CNN will publish my blog now since they censored it once...I simply wrote about feeling that Obama has some unifying to do especially along gender lines. Yesterday I saw a young Obama supporter in a tee shirt with a picture of both Obama and Senator Clinton. The caption below was "Bros vs Hoes" So CNN, are you censuring the use of the word "hoe" (actually it's a perfectly legitimate word meaning garden implement. We need George Carlin now more than ever.) or protecting Obama because it is a disgraceful and offensive tee-shirt and speaks to the heart of the problem of sexism in America which he dismisses.

June 27, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  16. Laura King

I'm confused. Now that Senator Clinton has officially withdrawn from the presidential race how can contibutions be solicited for her campaign? This smacks of fraud. I'm sure she regrets investing so much of her own money, but so do millions of others who lose in investments. I wonder if this activity is legal?

June 27, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  17. Stand up Guy...OBAMA

Well I am glad that Obama knows how to let by gone’s by gone’s. Can’t say the same for myself. I wouldn’t give her squat.

This $2,300 won’t hurt him Penny Pritzer or Robert Gibbs; they are just millionaires paying off other millionaires debts.

June 27, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  18. Hillary protest voters wrong!

I cannot belive that disgruntled Hillary supporters would vote for McCain in protest...are you kidding!!!! You are just down right spiteful and really charged up with hate aren't you? Do you not realize a White House with the GOP back would be the end of your country.. grow up.. I suggest you are NOT true Democrats . Talk about disloyal to your party!!!! By the way get your check books out because if you are so devoted to Hillary in such a way as to let your country go down the toilet then pay off her debt.. You people are insane.

That Cynthia woman on Larry King was derranged!! Give me a break. You are all cutting off your nose to spite your face. Get real!!!

June 27, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  19. Michael, Torrance, CA

Hillary just seems so enthusiastic about campaigning for Obama. I sure Slick Willie will be right there too! It's really hard to believe anything Hillary and Slick Willie say about Obama after everything that went on during the primary. Same old good for the party as a whole politics.

June 27, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  20. ALECO1 -----NOKOMIS,FL

WHERE ARE THE 18 MILLION WHO VOTED FOR HILARY-THEY BACKED HER WITH THEIR MOUTH BUT NOT WITH THEIR MONEY.
    IF THEY WOULD EACH DONATE JUST $1.00 , IT WOULD GET HER OUT OF DEBT.
    SHE SURE AS HELL DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO BUDGET HER MONEY-WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE IT–YOU DON'T SPEND IT.
    SHE AND BUSH WOULD MAKE A GREAT. PAIR.

June 27, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  21. Kids for McCain

I'm sorry. I must be on the elementary school blog.

You kids keep fighting amongst yourselves. I need a link to the adult blog. You know, the one where the bloggers don't blame everything on sexism and other pathetic excuses.

So you kids go ahead. Take your ball and go home. Help McCain get elected. But don't come crying to me when he kicks you in the face with his policies.

June 27, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  22. Lilberal-Extremist

Obama should not be the one paying for Hilary Debts .. IT should be the PUMA, bitter Hillary Supporters the 18 millions voters she claimed to have .. if they all chip in $1.00 .. she will be out of debt ... Where are those people ....... all they do is bash Obama .... get your butts to her website 7 start donating .. Your Queen needs it ..

Those people who voted for Hilary didn't like Hilary or really voted for Her .. It's seems it was a vote against Obama not a votefor Hilary .... so How many people actually liked Hilary seemed not many ..

Democrats 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 27, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  23. Jonathan, Hartford, CT

Now, appoint her your running mate.

June 27, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  24. Mike

Read the article. Michelle donated as well.

June 27, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  25. Michael Lorton, Virginia

If I were Obama, I would have post dated his check just to ensure that she keeps her promise. Now let's see $30,000,000 minus $4,600.....it is a start.

June 27, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |