June 27th, 2008

Obama donates to Clinton campaign

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/06/26/clinton.obama/art.unity.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Obama and Michelle Obama donated to Clinton's debt."]
(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, each donated $2,300 Thursday to the campaign of his former opponent, Sen. Hillary Clinton, which is millions of dollars in debt.

In addition, Obama's national finance chairman, Penny Pritzker, and her husband donated another $2,300 each, said Obama communications director Robert Gibbs. The $2,300 is the maximum individual contribution allowed.

"[Obama] wrote a check himself, as well as his finance chairman, so I got two checks in my pocket for Hillary," said Clinton adviser Terry McAuliffe.

Asked how much the checks were for, he responded, "They maxed out."

Obama communications director Robert Gibbs confirmed the Obamas' donations.

The move comes nearly three weeks after Clinton suspended her campaign and endorsed Obama, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee.

Full story

1. FLORIDA WHITE FEMALE VOTING FOR OBAMA

Iam veery proud of Obama for showing sportsmanship. What gets me is he's in GE mode, trying to raise money and Hillary's supporters feel like he's not doing enough to help her pay off her debt. Should he put his campaign aside and start campaigning for her debt? She knew she was in debt when she kept campaigning. He has alot of catching up to do. McCain been campaigning for months while he was still in the primary . We have to keep our attention on the general elections.

June 27, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  2. The US abolishes century old clinton dynasty

my lord, while it is nice he and michelle did that,
    WHY in the world,
    are people given to the wealthiest couple who are millionaires??

it blows me away................ i am sorry but this is not good,
    she is so rich is

the more i want to vote for mcbush

she gave us the election, now she want the rest of the foolish to pay her debt, haaaahahahahah
    and they are doing it
    this woman has no shame..
    if obama thinks that people will follow him by example, or that it makes her like him better,
    hahahahha he is ignorant
    this woman is EVIL pure evil...
    she will not rest until she is the president

watch and see

June 27, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  3. gary

WHY YOUR A YOUNG HATER. POLITICS ARE POLITICS. O.B. IS NOT GOD. GET A LIFE. O.B. SHOULD HELP HER GET OUT OF DEBT. HE NEEDS HER TO WIN. THE DNC AND HIM SWIFTBOATED HER OUT OF THE RACE. SO GROW UP WHY. HATERS LIKE YOU ARE GOING TO HELP O.B. LOOSE IN NOV. ( QUARENTEED). AMERICA GETS WHAT THEY ASK FOR

June 27, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  4. Rob

It is disturbing that we are being asked to support Senator Clinton's mismanaged finances when she could have, at any time, stopped spending money and suspend her campaign to minimze her debt. Isn't this an example of why we are in such a mess economically? Spending money you don't have and getting bailed out. The only difference between this and the mortgage mess is that there was no deceptive marketing – Senator Clinton knew what she was doing. I am a huge Obama supporter, but this is REALLY irresponsible – it certainly does not set a good example for the American people – kind of like the Bush income tax rebate – don't save it, spend it to stimulate the economy – smoke and mirrors. I'm feeling cynical again.

June 27, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  5. JOANN

TO "KJ", MIRTA, FELLA FROM CHICAGO, HELLO AND THE REST OF YOU HATERS AND NEGATIVE BLOGGERS...

ONCE AGAIN.....KEEP YOUR NEGATIVITY & UNTRUTHS TO YOURSELVES....WE DON'T CARE IF YOU DON'T VOTE FOR OBAMA, HE'S GONNA WIN ANYWAY...AND HE REALLY DOESN'T NEED HILLARY'S 18 MILLION WHO DOESN'T WANT TO VOTE FOR HIM...HE'S DOING QUITE WELL BY HIMSELF...THE POLLS ARE SHOWING IT.....

AND ESPECIALLY TO "FELLA FROM CHICAGO"...THE NAME CALLING DOESN'T MAKE YOU SOUND INTELLIGENT....I'M SURE YOU WOULD NOT LIKE SOMEONE CALLING YOUR MOM A "B-H!!!!

OBAMA 08...ALL THE WAY....

June 27, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  6. DemocracyNow2008

Obama should not pay her money to help her out of the financial problem she got herself into .

Do the Clintons have their own money they can use to pay the vendors and others they owe?

Just wondering.

Obama will do what he believes is the right thing I am still voting for Obama and see the bigger picture which is 8 years of Republican Rule and failed Political policies .

Lets all look at the big picture and vote Senator Obama.

June 27, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  7. William, from Cali!

What a "sham", this is to see..................................let her pay her own debts...........................send me a check too; I need to pay my mortgage..........my lender is calling me, daily....what should I tell him? the check; is in the mail! Right!

June 27, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  8. AFRO-CENTRIC FOR OBAMA

OH TO THE PERSON WHO SAID WHERE IS MICHELLE OBAMA'S CHECK, I SEE YOU DID NOT READ THE ARTICLE WELL, IF YOU CAN READ ...HILLARY RECEIVED A CHECK FROM MICHELLE ALSO

YOU NEAGATIVE PEOPLE ARE A REAL TRIP!!!!!!!!

June 27, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  9. Rave

Hillary's puppets should now come into reality.
    Obama has the Character, Vision, Strength, Courage to lead this country to a prosperous future.
    Experience ??? Are you kidding me... what happened to all the experienced Presidents in the past.. For Ex: past 8 years
    But, even Experience OBAMA has it... He has it all.
    OBAMA (2008 -16)

June 27, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  10. california voter

her time spent on his campaign trail is worth much more than those donations. what does that come out to on an hourly rate???

June 27, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  11. Marc

I just can't stand it anymore!

I started this year shutting down a company I spent two years trying to get off the ground and deep in debt. It was my business and I put MY money at risk. When it failed I took responsibility for it and went out and got a job to support my family and start paying down that debt. I certainly never had and never will have the financial backing Hillary and Bill have. She wanted to run for president. She put her own money into the campaign and she lost. I haven't got words to describe my anger at her now asking people to help her pay off that debt!!! I'd kill to have one half of one percent of their net worth and now she's got her hand out looking for help?!? She put her own money at risk trying to accomplish something she wanted and failed. Where does she get off asking people to help her out now, especially when they've got more than enough money to cover this?!? I didn't go out begging for help. There were times I felt desperate and wanted to, but calmed down and put together a budget. I'm working to pay off my debt. She could a write a check to pay off her campaign's debt! I'm done ranting but I'm far from being over this. He couldn't do it politically, but I would love to hear Obama say "Screw you. You got yourself into this mess. You get yourself out (and you can afford it to.)"

June 27, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  12. Straight Express??

What a nice couple the make!!!!!!!!!!!
    Obama/Clinton 08

June 27, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  13. Another old white woman for Obama

The 2300 was his own money and has nothing to do with your donations. We need to stand firm and realize that ALL Democrats have to vote their party in order to beat the GOP machine.
    The Clintons made a lot of us angry but to insist that continued punishment is called for is just being sore winners.
    We are bigger and better than that and need to keep our eyes on the prize. Victory in November!
    (Yes, I would have been happier if Hill had actually seceded)

June 27, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  14. Chyrel Wallace-Jackson

It would appear by several of these hateful posts that there is still quite a bit of bitterness felt. No matter what this man does, he's under criticism. Everyone is judging him rather than trying to understand the rationale behind his actions.

If he can forgive Clinton after everything she, her husband and supporters have done and said in an effort to unify the deomocratic party then why can't everyone else? Shame on all of you.

You would do well to learn a little bit by his actions of forgiveness.

June 27, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  15. MD in GA

Someone on this blog called Hillary Clinton underpriveledged.... What a joke. Her campaign was run poorly and she went in way too much debt at the end. If the norm is to try and retire her debt, then that's fine and to those who have the money to give her, go for it.

I don't have it. I am one of those 1.7 million average Americans who has donated $25 to $50 dollars here and there to Senator Obama's campaign and I intend to continue whenever I can. I am contributing to who I think will be the next President of the United States but not to a multi-millionaire who ran her campaign into the highest campaign debt in US history.

June 27, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  16. JDM

What we saw was politics in action.
    Bill and Hill was the last Dem in office 8 years ago. Some feel a need to keep them around until NOV 2008. Give them a medal or a cookie.
    After that, the Cilntons will be history. Hillary and Bill WHO? This was the last big HOORA for them. It is time to move forward.
    P.S. Second place don't count, ask the LA Lakers.

June 27, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  17. Hillary's Debt

Good, he gave to her and he has done as much as he can do. The reason Obama supporters are giving to Obama is because we want him to win. We gave to him to defeat Hillary and he did. Now why would we give to Hillary to pay off the money that she racked up trying to defeat Obama? Does that make sense–no. Only in Washington, D.C. Land, would this make sense.

Let Hillary sweat her debt out, it's not our problem. It was nice of Obama to give to her and as far as I'm concerned, that's all she should get.

June 27, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  18. Venus

Way to go Bam! Now – many of Hillary's supporters should stop bashing Obama long enough and write their checks!

Obama and Michelle have already given Hillary more than some of her lousy supporters!

Get real! It cost money to like – love or vote for some one!

I hope many of Hillary's big name donors follows –

Also- Obama and Hillary know what they both need to do for the party and country if they want to win.

If it was the other way around... Hillary would need Obama and his donors and supporters to unite!

Thank God Obama and Hillary are adults... many supporters on both sides need to grow up... the issues in our country are MUCH bigger than Hillary and Obama!

It's really great to see these two come together as they both continue to make history and herstory!

Looking forward to seeing them come together and campaign together for us......... their supporters!

Go Bam! Lead the way!

Welcome to the team Hillary and your supporters!

June 27, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  19. MD in GA

To Hello!!! You need to go back and re-read the article. It says "Sen. Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, each donated $2,300 Thursday to the campaign of his former opponent, Sen. Hillary Clinton, which is millions of dollars in debt."

Reading is FUNDAMENTAL...

June 27, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  20. vic nashville,Tn

My vote always for Clintons
    Thanks to Sen.Obama

June 27, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  21. It's Her Problem

OMG, we almost had Hillary as the nominee. A woman who is 22 million dollars in debt, and is begging everyone to be repaid. Can you imagine having her as president, I can't.

Anyway, let her beg for money from her 18 million supporters and leave the rest of us out of her failed candidacy problems.

Obama 08

June 27, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  22. ber6964

I'm really disappointed that Sen. Obama when hat in hand to her supporters, It makes him look weak. He should just have kept going his own way with his supporters behind him he would have done just as well without the much hated Clintons.

June 27, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  23. Venus

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Seeing these two together is just beautiful!

Way to go!

I can't wait for us to really get the fight on with McSame and his group!

I hope Hillary go after McSame!

Next stop... Bill Clinton on the "O" Team!!!

June 27, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  24. Ken Pittsburgh

In case iany one is interested God would not be for guns or the death pentaly . So quit sayin God and Gun and country I Glad that Obama gave money to Hillary. Now it is up to Hillary supporters to put rtheir check book were their mouths were and send her one.

June 27, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |