June 27th, 2008

Will Smith says he'd make a good Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/27/art.obamasmith.gi.jpg caption="Will Smith says he'd make a good Obama."](CNN) - The prolonged Democratic primary race had all the twists and turns of a Hollywood thriller, and at least one A-list actor is ready to portray Barack Obama on the big screen.

"It's all right here," Smith joked as he pointed to his ears. "That's the key. That's the key. America loves ears, you know? Mickey Mouse started it; Goofy and Dumbo followed behind. And America just loves ears."

Earlier this year, Obama said he and Smith had discussed the possibility.

"Will and I have talked about this because he has the ears!" Obama said at an MTV/MySpace Presidential forum in February.

But Smith says he wouldn't sign onto a movie about Obama until the campaign outcome is clear.

"As soon as he writes the end of the story," Smith said of when he'd be willing to take up the role.

No word on which Hollywood actresses are interested in portraying Hillary Clinton.

1. Cynthia

He's right about the ears and what a great story to be told.

June 27, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  2. Will in Richmond, VA

Heh.

Will Smith has played a few people with great stories. This would be no different. I'd go to see it.

.... but does this belong in the ticker? I think this has more relevance in the entertainment section with the Scarlett Johansenn piece.

June 27, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  3. Ed

Annette Bening = Hillary Clinton on the big screen.

June 27, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  4. Earl

How about asking Billary herself to play her own role.

Nobody can "shrill " laugh like her.
    Nobody can "whine" like her

Yep she should take Bubba to Hollywood with her and get lost on a backlot western scene.

June 27, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  5. Nik

Wow I think it would be beneath Will Smith of playing a failed candidate.

June 27, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  6. Becky

And I'd watch the movie! Who would play McCain if McCain won?

This isn't really news, I admit. More like glamorizing Obama and I'm all for Obama.

June 27, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  7. boered1

oookkkaaaayyyyy???!!??

Why is this being run under the political ticker? Just another way for the Clinton News Network to give the moronic clintonistas a forum to spew their hatred against the future president of the US I suppose

June 27, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  8. right source

Will will make a GREAT Obama

June 27, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  9. Harold

We could just skip the middle man and have Will Smith run for President =)

Anyway, there is an uncanny resemblance.

June 27, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  10. Sonny Carson

Harry Lennix looks more like Obama

June 27, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  11. Jim

You think a movie would come out during his presidency????

June 27, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  12. Travis

What a great way for her to pay off her debt.

Go to Hollywood.

I'm sure Bubba can find some entertainment (wink wink) when she's working on her movie.

Is there enough make-up in Hollywood for her?

June 27, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  13. Obama Supporter from FL

This is two day old news – Will Smith was on the Daily Show (or was it Colbert??) saying this earlier in the week.

June 27, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  14. Mod

I think a man would be better suited to play Hillary.

June 27, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  15. Obama/Hillary 08

If no one wants the VP job from McCain they can give it to me. I live in Delaware my address is 2575 liberty street Wilmington,DE 19808 and my phone number is (302) 333-8649. I am unemployed and I can use that VP job to make some money to pay my college loans. I am a very good thinker a democrat that can bring good ideas to McCain and the republicans.

June 27, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  16. KJ

Big ears are unattractive.

Obama is unqualified to be President.

Will Smith is a Scientologist.....

Unity? No. Not this year. Put your country first and party second my fellow Hillary supporters. Vote for McCain.

June 27, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  17. Weepy

Yes, and if that movie is made, you can bet Obama's mama will be portrayed as morally squeaky clean.

June 27, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  18. Abby

It’s a beautiful American story. May it have many , many more chapters! At least 50 years more 🙂

June 27, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  19. TONY

Tell Will Smith to put his salaray towards the national debt, etc.

Just one more overapaid "actor" with a swelled head!

June 27, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  20. LLR

I think he would make a great Obama he surely has the ears for it!
    And of course Will Smith is a great actor.

June 27, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  21. 2 FOR 1

Speaking with MTV earlier this week, actor Will Smith said he'd enjoy playing the Illinois senator in an upcoming movie and noted the two share at least one feature in common: rather large ears........sounds good.........NEXT!!!!

June 27, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  22. Suraki

Hmm, I'd been imagining Denzel.

June 27, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  23. Darth Vadik, CA

I just watched independece day,
    and as a former Marine I say Will lost his tact. Specially after he catches one of the aliens (after he crashes his F-18 in the G rand Canyon)

Yes I am a former Marine, surprise righties (6.5 years of service)

and a lefty communist Marxist bast*rd (according to you right winger),

or I just maybe appreciate what FDR did for this country (get schooled up and then talk to me)

Go Will

June 27, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  24. Louise

Please, no. Just NO!

June 27, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  25. Linda of Atlanta

The only thing that makes me think Will Smith could pull this off was his performance in Pursuit of Happiness. He was amazing!

June 27, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |