June 27th, 2008

Will Smith says he'd make a good Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/27/art.obamasmith.gi.jpg caption="Will Smith says he'd make a good Obama."](CNN) - The prolonged Democratic primary race had all the twists and turns of a Hollywood thriller, and at least one A-list actor is ready to portray Barack Obama on the big screen.

Speaking with MTV earlier this week, actor Will Smith said he'd enjoy playing the Illinois senator in an upcoming movie and noted the two share at least one feature in common: rather large ears.

"It's all right here," Smith joked as he pointed to his ears. "That's the key. That's the key. America loves ears, you know? Mickey Mouse started it; Goofy and Dumbo followed behind. And America just loves ears."

Earlier this year, Obama said he and Smith had discussed the possibility.

"Will and I have talked about this because he has the ears!" Obama said at an MTV/MySpace Presidential forum in February.

But Smith says he wouldn't sign onto a movie about Obama until the campaign outcome is clear.

"As soon as he writes the end of the story," Smith said of when he'd be willing to take up the role.

No word on which Hollywood actresses are interested in portraying Hillary Clinton.

1. Tara

Wow – KJ – you are so quick to judge. You must be a republican.

June 27, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  2. FLORIDA Voter for Obama

The news is stupid today.

June 27, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  3. John from Kansas

I nominate Joan Rivers to play Hillary.

June 27, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  4. Robert in Toronto,ON

How bout Janet Reno play Hillary Clinton?

They both seem to like those pant suits.

June 27, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  5. GaVoter

Curious George would be a lot better...

June 27, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  6. georgia

Rosie O. is perfect for Hill,anything for attention,lots of words,very questionable morals !

June 27, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  7. richard

i agree, Harry Lennix would be better.

June 27, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  8. Ananth at Chicago

Someone said "Annette Benning" – dang it. I came on here to point that out but they beat me to it. I caught this from "American Beauty" – I thought Benning was doing a Hillary in that movie!

June 27, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  9. Mike

Smith would make a great Obama. They are both good men, articulate and intelligent. I am stll amazed at how well Smith pulled off playing Muhammed Ali. Very talented guy.

June 27, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  10. Johhny C.

Will is better at the uplifting, hero type parts.

Plus I don't like it when Will does play the bad guy.

and I would hate to see him get plastic surgery to make his ears big.

June 27, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  11. lupercal

haha...you gotta love the guy. my favorite best actor, ever. and talking about a disarming sense of humor...lol

June 27, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  12. VM

"June 27th, 2008 11:38 am ET

Wow I think it would be beneath Will Smith of playing a failed candidate."

I suppose you are reaching just to make a snide remark, but why would it beneath anyone to play the first African American to be the nominee of a major United States political party? And this is the same guy who played a secret alien catching police man in Men in Black. Grow up.

June 27, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  13. ls

Will Smith is such a Happy-Go-Lucky-Guy . . .

June 27, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  14. Casual observer

Obama voters are the same people who obsess over American Idol...our country is in trouble!

June 27, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  15. Deena

Kevin Spacey as Mike Huckabee. The similarity is freakish!! lol.

June 27, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  16. Michael Lorton, Virginia

Well, if Will Smith is going to protray Obama in an upcoming movie, I would recommend Rosie O'Donnell for the part of Hillary.

June 27, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  17. Debbie

He's far too good an actor to play this schmuck. We need someone who's just starting out to make it believable.

June 27, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  18. malach hamovess

Obama hasn't run as the Black Candidate – therefore he shouln't necessarily be played by a black actor. I would use tom hanks for the role – he's as versatile an "everyman" as one can find

June 27, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  19. TESAP

YES...... YES...... YES HE CAN.... 🙂

June 27, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  20. Tee

Love Will Smith, love Obama – but this belongs in the Entertainment section, not on the political ticker.

Please, CNN, stop giving the Hillary supporters even more reason not to unify... And Obama supporters, please stop insulting Hillary. What good are you doing? If you support Obama, the man himself is trying to unify the party. Stop being counter productive.

June 27, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  21. Ed, Santa Fe NM

and yet another NON NEWS item from CNN....

June 27, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  22. Fred

I wonder who will play Bill?

I think Bill Maher will do a good job as McClendon.

June 27, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  23. Please

Noooooooo!!!!!

June 27, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  24. Kiah

I agree, he's got the ears to match and he's super sexy so he'd be my pick!

Obama '08!

June 27, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  25. Silence Dogood

quote: "Nobody can "shrill " laugh like her." Nice in depth analysis of the news.

I wish the Hillary -haters would back down. Obama is a smart guy and is making nice – how about following his lead? She is a powerful smart woman and will go on to be successful somewhere – get over it.

June 27, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |