June 27th, 2008

Will Smith says he'd make a good Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/27/art.obamasmith.gi.jpg caption="Will Smith says he'd make a good Obama."](CNN) - The prolonged Democratic primary race had all the twists and turns of a Hollywood thriller, and at least one A-list actor is ready to portray Barack Obama on the big screen.

Speaking with MTV earlier this week, actor Will Smith said he'd enjoy playing the Illinois senator in an upcoming movie and noted the two share at least one feature in common: rather large ears.

"It's all right here," Smith joked as he pointed to his ears. "That's the key. That's the key. America loves ears, you know? Mickey Mouse started it; Goofy and Dumbo followed behind. And America just loves ears."

Earlier this year, Obama said he and Smith had discussed the possibility.

"Will and I have talked about this because he has the ears!" Obama said at an MTV/MySpace Presidential forum in February.

But Smith says he wouldn't sign onto a movie about Obama until the campaign outcome is clear.

"As soon as he writes the end of the story," Smith said of when he'd be willing to take up the role.

No word on which Hollywood actresses are interested in portraying Hillary Clinton.

1. L

he would actually...But dont go writing a film about Obama just yet, he hasnt won and there are no guarantee's that he will.

June 27, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  2. crm

Kimberly Elise would have to be Michelle Obama it's the natural choice.

June 27, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  3. Jerry in Illinois

I agree. Smith would fill the bill.

June 27, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  4. Zach

Now that's newsworthy, all right!

June 27, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  5. Jon, Tulsa, OK

Will needs to play Jimi Hendrix before it's too late. SOMEBODY needs to play Hendrix!

June 27, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  6. Patrick Henry, Ft. Myers

Hey...not a bad idea.
    Will Smith has a clear-cut resume: we've watched him be a little goofy, a little awkward, kind, tender, tough, parental, diplomatic–and kick alien butt.

Based on his resume–I'd rather vote for him than Barack because I know his qualifications and I can attest to his adaptability, thinking on his feet, staying power, and his very intellectual mind.

Will Smith 2008!!

June 27, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  7. Bill in St. Cloud, FL

I think the guy in the motel advertisement with the song "I've been everywhere" would be far more credible (and entertaining) than Will Smith.

June 27, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  8. Jonas

I have to admit Meryl Streep makes a perfect Hillary Clinton.. Who seen Meryl Streep in "The Manchurian Candidate?".. I thought i was watching Hillary in that movie. Speaking of Manchurian Candidate that movie its kind of creepy when you connect it with whats going on now with this election..

June 27, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  9. Chuck, Democrats United We Stand

I really do not know why this is considered Political news worthy. I guess the bloggers need some place to voice their mixed up feelings and or hate for one or the other candidates. This which gives CNN another source for stating the depth of a division of the people that really does not exist except for a hand full of those that will hate regardless of reason or logic.

June 27, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  10. ANA G. LOS ANGELES. CA

THIS IS TOO FUNNY

June 27, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  11. Leroy

CNN.com, what I like to refer to as Obama's website, gets more bizarre everyday. Who cares about the Fresh Prince of Bel Aire or what's on BHO's ipod?

Why don't you ever report on BHO's abysmal voting record?

June 27, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  12. Don't count your chickens...

Can you say, "Cart before the horse?"

Let the guy get elected FIRST, before you start worshipping the new messiah. It would be funny if Obama was handed a McGovern- or Mondale-sized loss in November... Doh!

June 27, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  13. Travis

What a great way for her to pay off her debt.

Go to Hollywood

I'm sure Bubba could find some entertainment (wink wink) while Billary is working on her movie.

Is there enough make-up in Hollywood for her?

June 27, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  14. Chut Pata

CALIDUDE: Are you kidding? In "Legend of Bagger Vance" Will proved beyond a shred of doubt that he can play some very serious roles. In Ali, he did not look like Ali (neck too long) but played all his pain, his looses, and his misery. I think you are still thinking about "Fresh Prince" when he was a teen-ager. He has grown a lot since then. Kurt russel was never played a serious role when he was a teen star in Disney movies nor was Jody Foster when she starred in "Bugsy Malone".

June 27, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  15. Jesse

I think he could play a good Obama. however i dont think a story of the last year would be translate to the screen very well but rather of a story of his life up to his point.

June 27, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  16. Mary

it will be great to see...regardless of the end result..just an African American guy beating Clinton Enpire is a story...

June 27, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  17. Monica for Obama in Indiana

I think a movie should be made regardless, if Senator Obama wins the election or not. He along with the American people have made history. Will would be an excellent choice, I think the woman that plays Hillary on SNL would be a good choice.

People you should read a book titled "The Color of Water"

Go get UM! Obama

June 27, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  18. Mike, New York

Obama himself said he would love for Will Smith to play him in a movie about his life

June 27, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  19. Jo in GA

Seems like some of you folks have no sense of humor what so ever....you take things way to seriously. Lighten up and maybe you want be so uptight.

June 27, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  20. Tommy Hussein in St. Louis

I think Will Smith could pull it off. Actors never look exactly like real-life people they portray anyway, so I'm willing to suspend my disbelief on that. I think it would be pretty cool.

As for Hillary, there is nobody exactly like her, either. Maybe this is a stretch, but maybe Julia Roberts or Meryl Streep could portray her.

June 27, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  21. Casting director

Obama will be played by William Smith and Hillary Clinton will be played by Dustin Hoffman

June 27, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  22. Obama-Junkie, IL

I feel old now, even Will Smith is showing gray in his goat-tee!

June 27, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  23. Peter E

He'd certainly make a more convincing Obama than Obama himself.

June 27, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  24. Peter E

Can I vote for HIM to be president instead, please?

June 27, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  25. Tommy Hussein in St. Louis

As for whether Smith could be taken seriously, I thought he did a great job in The Pursuit of Happyness...

June 27, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |