June 30th, 2008

Obama to deliver 'major speech' on patriotism

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/30/art.obamaflag.gi.jpg caption="Obama has been looking to emphasize his patriotism."] CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) - Presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama plans to deliver what his campaign is calling a "major speech" Monday, centering around an issue he's been trying to highlight for months now: his patriotism.

The remarks come in Harry Truman's hometown of Independence, Missouri, just days before the Fourth of July.

"Sen. Obama will discuss what patriotism means to him and what it requires of all Americans who love this country and want to see it do better," Obama spokesman Bill Burton wrote in a morning email to reporters.

The Illinois senator has been defending his patriotism ever since the days of Iowa when he was first criticized for not wearing a flag pin - which he now does much more frequently - and when false rumors began circulating that he did not say the Pledge of Allegiance.

He was also seen without his hand over his heart during a rendition of the National Anthem.

Obama's wife, Michelle, has been on the receiving end of attacks over her patriotism, after telling an audience at a campaign event, "For the first time in my adult lifetime I'm really proud of my country."

Senator Obama will follow up Monday's speech on patriotism with a Tuesday address focused on faith, and remarks on service Wednesday and Thursday. He will spend Friday, July 4 in Butte, Montana - with the whole Obama family out on the trail.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Texas Liberal

No citizen in this nation is required to prove his or her patriotism. Those of us who care about the country and its future must each do what we think is right. You don't have to wear a lapel pin, drive with a four-year-old yellow ribbon on your bumper, have a flag on your front lawn, go to church, or listen to speeches on the fourth of July.

Each citizen is free, but each citizen has a duty to protect and improve the nation for the next generation. Most citizens do absolutely nothing for the nation.

In my opinion, an American patriot should read the news regularly. You should have read a few good American history books in the past few years. You should be reading a book on political issues now. You should be doing volunteer work somewhere. You should vote. You should be supporting your local school district, where new citizens are being prepared, and you should be voting FOR a decent budget for your schools. You should be obeying the laws, including traffic laws. You should be teaching your children patriotic values. You should be able to name the presidents and their primary achievements since World War II (Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Carter, Reagen, Bush (the good one), Clinton, and Bush (the other one). You should be able to intelligently discuss the twenty most important political issues of the day, citing facts and statistics. (My list would include Children's Issues, Abortion, Civic Duty, Civility, Consumer Issues, Corporate Regulation, Crime, the Distribution of Income, Drug Use, the Economy, Education, Elections, Employment, Energy, the Environment, Family Values, Foreign Policy, Homelessness, Immigration, Infrastructure, Justice, Law, Marketing and Advertising, Medical Care, Methods of Government, Native American Issues, the Population Problem, Poverty, Private Life, Public Life, the Religion Problem, Science and Technology, Secularism, Separation of Church and State, Taxation, Veterans of Combat, Wages, War, the War on Terror, and Women's Issues.)

If this doesn't describe you, then I question your patriotism.

June 30, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  2. Mike the Independent from Ohio

Does this guy do anything besides give speeches? Every day its, Obama to give a speech, never Obama has acctually done something, This guys scares me because all he does is talk and day hope and change, and people thing he is great, he is in no way shape or form ready to be President, but I'm not sure McCain is either

June 30, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  3. dwho

This message goes to Seah
    You seem to be negative about Obama. All of the accusations you have against Obama are basedless. Running for president and trying to make a change in a flaw system does not make a person into what you have described Obama to be.

Whatever race you belong to, I would like to say it is time for you to move on. President Bust lied and separated families with his lies as over 4,000 died in a war that shouldn't have been authorized and John McCain is planning the furtherance of such lies. But the candidate of your choice was not nominated therefore you have turned against Obama with all sorts of angers. Get over it.

June 30, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  4. Justo Gonzalez

Obama, a real American. People try to hack him up but he keeps standing. Mr. President, we appreciate your leadership.

No Bush 3 Term. No John McSAME!

June 30, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  5. Glad to be an Independent

The U.S. has allot of faults. To question someone's patriotism because they point out some of the the ills of the U.S. is downright hateful. I am an African-American and I have seen the faults of the U.S. I love my country because I see the tremendous opportunity here despite the faults. I do not think you have to only point out the good but the bad as well.

For those of you saying McCain 2008 and Hillary 2012, your numbers are dwindling. People are seeing what you really are. Vicious attacks and negativity are not attractive. Most Hillary supporters are now supporting Obama over McCain. Misery does not love company. Being miserable and angry is wasted energy. Continue with this type of behavior if you wish. The rest of us will be happy and even more happy on Election Day!

June 30, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  6. I Couldn't Do It

John McCain experienced torture in Vietnam, which is sad, but he will never know the pain of being questioned by fellow Americans about your patriotism.

Kudos to Senator Obama for even giving the speech. He's a better American than most of us. I couldn't do it–I'm too stubborn. If you want to question my love of this country, you'd better bring your army with you.

June 30, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  7. What a phoney

I cannot believe people do not see through this piece of work. He is a con man. I am with you PUMA PAC

June 30, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  8. Terry, Lakeland Florida

TEXAS FOR OBAMA June 30th, 2008 10:26 am ET

Barack Obama is a true American with or without a FLAG PIN!

John McCain doesn't wear a pin. No one questions his patriotism. Being held in captivity doesn't make McCain ready to be President. Being a Senator for the past 30 years doesn't either. It appear Bush/McCain/Republican's are going to start a war in Iran just before the Election. They are disgusting.

I look forward to hearing Barack's speech. He is going to be one of American's greatest Presidents'.

God Bless the USA

-----------
    Wow you know what Bush is going to do...where do you get your sources...of wait do you work for the Ney York times of the New Yorker...they don't site sources either, they just print and tell everyone "You ahve to beleive this becuase we printed it"

McCain has more experience, knowledge and ability then Obama...it's just a fact, no one can dispute it..except Obama who says his few years in public office trumps everyone else...now that's disgusting.

June 30, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  9. GA Republican

Another speech? This joker's going to do it again. The more he speaks the more his true colors come out. It's kind of like, "Open mouth, insert foot." Obama is doomed!!

Vote Republican '08

June 30, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  10. JOEL

AS ONE VET I HOPE I'LL CLEAR UP A FEW THING'S BUT DO NOT PLAY THE RACE CARD FOR I WOULD LIKE TO HERE IT AS FOR HIM AND NOT A SPEECH FOR VOTE'S OR A BLACK MAN . THIS IS A SPEECH THAT NEED TO BE MADE .

June 30, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  11. Poor Alice

Alice in Florida is a sore loser.

June 30, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  12. Kip, Seattle Washington

A flag pin is just a flag pin. Lay off, Scott L.

June 30, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  13. Marilyn

Is this like a "major award"? I can't believe we have to put up with this guy for 4 more months before he goes away for good. It's going to be a long summer!

June 30, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  14. Pin Spin

What kind of pin is John McSame wearing? Oh I know, a beer pin and an oil pin.

June 30, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  15. COL.{retd]A.M.Khajawall

Dear American Voters, reporters, media. professionals, political parties, and presidential Nominees,
    Subject: Presidential Temperament

Please talk about and "Compare And Contrast" the " Presidential Temperament" of our Presidential presumptive nominees. I will also request and plead to the nominees themselves [ Hon. Senator McCain and Obama ].
    Our nation has been applying this yard and stick tor the appointments and confirmation process of our Supreme Court Justices nominees.
    Our Greatgrand Nation Foundations are as under:
    Family, friends, fellows, faith, funds, fun, with fairness & freedom And without fear, favor, and failure.
    It will be disgrace and shameful if the nominees and media will not look into this critical and crucial aspect under current challenging times and circumstances within our country and all around the Globe.

America wake up and the discuss the " Presidential Temperament" of our presumptive presidential nominee's [ Hon. Senator McCain and Obama].

Yours sincerely,
    COL. A.M.Khajawall [Ret].
    Disabled American Veteran
    Forensic psychiatrist, Las Vegas, Nevada.

June 30, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  16. Aida

Spin – Spin – Spin

What change? New person, same old politics.

June 30, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  17. sherry

Right on Herman !!!!!

Fox news is so far right .....fair and balanced????....Hello!!!!!

They have portrayed Obama in a poor light and will continue to do so.

I leave blogs all the time on fox and because I'm for Obama they never post them

Read their blogs....Only allow right wing rhetoric

June 30, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  18. Nick

Soon we are going to have a speech on everything....Bologna!!!

June 30, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  19. not an obamabot, thank GOD

Josh June 30th, 2008 10:24 am ET

You shouldn't even have to do this Obama. You proved your patriot and love for this country when you voted no to invade Iraq.
    Obama=True Patriot

He couldnt vote he wasnt in office then, he made a speech, and you bought it, but check your facts.

June 30, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  20. Big gator

His speech should be call "When PUMA hags Attack".

June 30, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  21. McWindbag

Nobody's questioning John McWindbag's patriotism. What's up with that?

June 30, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  22. disgusted

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, not another speech written by someone else only to be read and preached by Obama boy. I can't take it anymore. This is so insulting to think I need Obama to tell me what patriotic is. He is no more qualified to tell me about race and bigotry and patriotism than any other American. In fact, he is the last person I want to hear speak about Patriotism.

Down with this phony... this puppet who the backers have sold us as CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN! Change? While Kerry, Kennedy and others hold the strings.

PUMA PAC – DON'T FORGET WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR CHOICE HILLARY.

McCain '08 for Clinton '12.

June 30, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  23. Candy - West Virginia

Barack, you are simply brilliant! You are running a brilliant campaign and are showing us what a leader you are.

June 30, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  24. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

I don't care in the slightest about the man's "patriotism" (the word has such a wide range of conflicting connotations it's just about meaningless)–what I want to hear is that he'll get the phenomenally sticky fingers of Government out of my wallet.

Of course, he's a Democrat, and a socialist-leaning one at that, so I suspect I'm going to be disappointed.

June 30, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |