July 1st, 2008

McCain to Obama: Cut Clark loose

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/01/art.mccainclark.ap.jpg caption="McCain traveled to Colombia Tuesday."](CNN) - Sen. John McCain appeared to raise the stakes in the ongoing back-and-forth over Wesley Clark's controversial comments, saying Tuesday evening that Barack Obama should "cut him loose."

Speaking to reporters on his press plane en route to Colombia, McCain suggested it’s time for the Illinois senator to completely sever ties with the former general and onetime presidential candidate

"I think it's up to Senator Obama now to not only repudiate him but cut him loose."

Clark, a former supporter of Hillary Clinton, does not hold an official role within the Obama campaign.

Clark caused an uproar Sunday after questioning whether McCain's military experience qualified him to be commander-in-chief. Obama has said he disagrees with Clark's comments, calling them "inartful."

But McCain wouldn't say if he thought Obama had sufficiently repudiated the remark.

“That's up to others to decide," he said. "I'm not going to worry about comments that General Clark made. I have plenty of people who will respond to that kind of thing.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Jack

That's funny. Did McCain "Cut Loose" Mr. "Another-Terrorist-Attack-Would-Be-Good"? No?

And frankly, what exactly did Clark say that was wrong? What's that? Nothing? Oh, poor Mr. McCain. Can't handle the truth. I agree whole heartedly, that being a prisoner of war does not qualify one fort command. My dad was a POW in Nam, and if anything, it made him a bit nutty.

Speaking of which, isn't McCain the one that still insists on using racists terms when referring to Vietnamese? Or have they shushed that one adequately?

July 1, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  2. ladyatlaw2

What happened to mccains minister? Barack if you send another friend packing i will not vote for you. U must not keep kissing?

July 1, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  3. tornado1972

McCain run your own camp and let Black and others go!!!!!!!!!

July 1, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  4. Vanessa

Talk about pointing out the sawdust in your neighbor's eye when you got a plank sticking out of your own. Day anyone? McCain was supposedly against the swift boat ads now he features Day who was a swiftboaters for truth in one of his own ads. Not to mention the fact Clarke has every right to question his judgment as commander in chief as a military commander. Thank you for your service Sen. McCain but we just need a new way of thinking. Obama '08

July 1, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  5. Joe Lieberman

Well John....If we make Obama cut loose Clark, people are going to be coming after me for what I said. I don't want to be cut loose because i've been kissing but all year to become your VP. Just let it go.....

July 1, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  6. C Spurgeon

Clark is absolutely right on this and McCain needs to get on with the real issues.

July 1, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  7. Greta

How dare John McCain ask Obama to repudiate GENERAL Clark!?! General Clark didn't say anything wrong or inappropriate about John. John boy is such a whiner!!

July 1, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  8. Kate

Ridiculous!!!! Clark had an opinion that in no way diminished McCain's war service. Talk about jumping on a non issue. I was considering voting McCain as a former Clinton supporter, but McCain is more wishy washy than Obama. At least I get to keep my rights as a woman under an Obama administration. McCain has gone too far and feels too entitled to praise to get my vote.

July 1, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  9. Kathy

Gen. W Clark is entitled to use his voice. Why does McCain get to set the direction of the campaign all the time. Just the fact that someone was a prisoner of war does not mean they will or should be president of the USA. Show us how you can help the people of this country and stop trying to score points. He is toooooo OLD. My dad is younger then he is and I am a grandmother three times over. I sure would not want my father to run the country he has way too many concrete ideas and that is what was wrong with BUSH. I am sure McCain is a GREAT- GRANDFATHER too

July 1, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  10. Canuck

I think this was definitely blown way out of proportion, and McCain would better spend his time explaining his views and ideas. Gen. Clark spoke at length about his high regard for McCain's service and how he admired his tenacity as POW; he merely stated that these weren't prerequisites for the job, which is a completely valid point. It seems that not just McCain, but many politicians think they should be given a position based solely on their service. But Gen. Clark is right, McCain doesn't have very much experience in handling foreign matters and making executive war decisions.

July 1, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  11. smile

he is really SSSSIIIICCCCKKKK......what about the ones in his campaign what is he waiting to fire them.........of course, he won´t: they are my beloved lobbyists....he has not only lost his bearings, half his brain is putrefied

July 1, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  12. Koronin

This is a man we're talking about right?

What a whiny little man this is and he thinks he can be President?

July 1, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  13. typical white person

KEEP CLARK!!!! He's the best thing to happen to the McCain campaign in days!

Maybe Clark has POW envy???

July 1, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  14. Bob Stephens

McSame. You are no more qualified to be President, because of your time in a POW camp, than I am to head Microsoft. Get over it...

July 1, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  15. Western Voter

This from a guy who won't cut George Bush loose. Give me a break. This from a guy who accepts the endorsement of the Swiftboaters...who has a campaign manager who lobbies for third world terrorists...my ma used to have a saying about the pot calling the kettle black. Can't wait till November to show these guys what chnage in America really means!

July 1, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  16. NO SIR!!!

CNN..........Sen. John McCain appeared to raise the stakes in the ongoing back-and-forth over Wesley Clark's controversial comments, saying Tuesday evening that Barack Obama should "cut him loose."
    McSame.........Who are you........did you cut Mr Black LOOSE ???..........
    McSame........I'm not going to worry about comments that General Clark made. I have plenty of people who will respond to that kind of thing.”YEA we know ........Dirty OLd MAN!!!!!

July 1, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  17. Tom Happ

McCain seems to make a lot of demands on Obama.

July 1, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  18. Ticker Addict!

"Inartful". Obama has an interesting vocabulary. 🙂

July 1, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  19. Donna

Well if he isn't worried about it, then why is he still dwelling on it??? Is Clark a paid member of Obama's staff? How can he cut someone loose that a surrogate and not have an official role?

Actually, Obama does not have to cut ANYONE loose..they are grown people who can say what they want...McCain should cut a LOT of his own advisors loose if he wants to pout, whine and cry about this..

Is this what I have to look forward to when I get that old??? geesh....

July 1, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  20. Jeremy

I think McCain's over-reaction is going to become the story if he's not careful. Clark didn't disrespect McCain's service. He was just saying that it doesn't automatically qualify him on foreign policy. McCain needs to engage Obama on the issues to argue who has better judgment, not just claim to be entitled because of having served. Instead of engaging Obama's point about diverting resources from bin Laden into Iraq it's the whole fauxtrage/nontroversy game.

July 1, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  21. YOLA

What a joke! He needs to reject Lieberman!

July 1, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  22. LJackson in Los Angeles

Did Obama ask McCain to cut loose Charlie Black? Forget McCain.

July 1, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  23. Terrence (Winston Salem, NC)

ME TO MCCAIN : CUT BLACK LOOSE!

July 1, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  24. Nate

So does this mean that McCain will cut Mr. Black loose? McCain is such a hypocrite–unbelievable.

July 1, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  25. Sally

This only furthers the case that Wes Clark should be VP.

McCain is whining like a little baby. Clark won't back down from his statements and the GOP is bewildered.

Obama/Clark has a nice ring to it.

July 1, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |