July 8th, 2008

Edwards would 'seriously consider' VP offer

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/08/art.edwards.gi.jpg caption="Edwards didn't rule out running for VP a second time."](CNN) - John Edwards said Tuesday that if he were asked to accept the vice presidential slot or a cabinet position in a potential Barack Obama administration, he would “seriously consider” whatever the Illinois senator asked him to do.

It has been widely reported that the former North Carolina senator is on Obama’s vice presidential shortlist. On Tuesday, NPR interviewer Guy Raz called the former Democratic presidential candidate’s presence on the list an “open secret,” and asked Edwards whether he’d weigh accepting a vice presidential offer, or might take himself out of consideration as Virginia Senator Jim Webb had done Monday.

“I’m glad to hear that’s an open secret because I didn’t know it,” joked Edwards of his rumored consideration as Obama’s running mate.

“My answer to that is, I’ve run for vice president, I’ve run for president twice. I would do anything that I felt I could do to serve this country but I think it’s a huge presumption for me or anybody else to suggest what Senator Obama may decide,” he said.

Watch: Flashback: Kerry picks Edwards for No. 2

“To answer your question directly: I don’t expect to be asked, have no expectation about it at all, I will – anything that Senator Obama asks me to do, including this, including campaigning for him, I intend to do, because what I’m going to do, I intend to take seriously,” he added. “What I intend to do is everything in my power, use everything in my power to make sure that he’s the next president.”

Pressed on whether that meant he might join the ticket if asked, Edwards would not rule it out. “I am prepared to seriously consider anything, anything he asks me to do for our country,” he told NPR.

When he endorsed Obama in May, John Kerry’s 2004 running mate had said he was not interested in another vice presidential bid.

In June, the Associated Press reported that Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, who has met with Obama's vice presidential search committee, had been told Edwards was on the list of candidates.

1. A Combat Vet Observation

Well a loser with a loser. That makes sense.

I wish the girlie man would pick him. That would be so nice.

Obama changes his positions like i change my undies. daily sometimes twice a day.

Vote McCain. He appreciates our values and will hold them sacred.

July 8, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  2. John

WHO RUNS FOR VICE PRESIDENT TWICE? in the HISTORY of the US that has never happened....he would lose AGAIN.

HILLARY VP 08!!!!

July 8, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  3. PUMA= republican imposters

ALL DEMOCRATS,

DON'T FALL FOR republicans poising as HRC SUPPORTERS...

THEY ARE TRYING TO INFECT 'anger' BETWEEN HRC SUPPORTERS AND OBAMA'S...

DON'T FIGHT evil WITH evil. THE BIBLE SAYS TO FIGHT IT WITH GOOD.

SO BLESS THEM!!!

July 8, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  4. tedious898

I'm thinking Attorney General for the good Senator Edwards

July 8, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  5. Marc PDX

"Edwards would seriously consider VP offer"...

Yeah, I think we pretty much knew that. He didn't really need to ask for in the media. Ok, John, we've got your name. Thanks...

The only ones who haven't recused themselves at this point are the ones Obama doesn't want. But, as one of his supporters said earlier, he can do it by himself anyway (in the Webb Not Interested article).

NObama N'08

July 8, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  6. DAREN IN MIAMI

Come on Edwards, do you want it?!!! Or not?!!!

July 8, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  7. Malcom Little ...... x

There is definitely a role for John Edwards to play ... not sure it will be VP though.

Whatever the role, he would be well positioned after an Obama administration to continue a Democratic stronghold on the Presidency.

July 8, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  8. Rob in Sacramento

please John, you left the race before i could vote for you in the California primary. id love to see a caring human being in the VP's office instead of the vampire we have now. just be sure to have the place disinfected & exorcised before you go in.

July 8, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  9. EJS

I have not heard of this "dream team"; why not Obama-Powell? Powell has openly "disagreed" with the current dummies and the GOP in general, has great respect in the nation for his military knowledge and achievements and is intelligent and could be a perfect addition to a team that wants to "CHANGE" things...

July 8, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  10. Rey

Why would we want him when Hillary is by far more popular and preferred by the American people. If we wanted Edwards, he would have been the finalist and not Hillary. So I think she is the best candidate...

July 8, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  11. Roberta Montgomery

Yes!!! Choose Edwards!!!

July 8, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  12. Obama SuperSupporter

Yay! I love the Obama/Edwards ticket! Way to go guys 🙂

July 8, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  13. Bulldog

Edwards is the man. He helped Kerry if anything and Kerry lost because of the dirty Swift Boat smears and the failure to attack back quick enough. Too many people got conned by the GOP and most people have woke up in regards to the dirty GOP tactics. The GOP is the boy who cried wolf one too many times. They are liars and manipulators. Edwards would make a great VP.

July 8, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  14. saga4obama

really like Edwards...
    ___________________________________________________…
    Google: songbird McCain, USS Forrestal, the McCain Bill, Big Oil lobbyest on mccain staff, The Saudi president McCain, McCain's Role in Covering Up the the Trillion Dollar Bank Heist…Keating 5, public finance loophole, Pastor Rod Parsely, GI bill, Vicki Iseman, 1,069,854.00 from big oil…the people like Charlie Black and Eric Burgeson to name a few…
    Idiots keep bringing up Wright? you know nothing but sound bite reports…learn the facts. MCCAIN IS DIRTY!!!!

July 8, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  15. Anita from Arizona

Obama's got time to decide.

July 8, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  16. Bill in Seattle

Edwards would be a smart VP choice. As an undecided voter, this choice would make me lean strongly toward Obama.

July 8, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  17. Jessica in IL

Hmmm. I like the idea!

July 8, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  18. Anonymous

Of course he will accept. I don't care. I am a democrat, but thi time around I am voting republican. I am very angry with all this nonsense.

July 8, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  19. senorclandestino

an Obama/Edwards ticket would be unstoppable. and the republicans wouldnt be able to use the VP against him, as they would if Hillary were chosen (remember the "commander in cheif threshold "remarks she made during the primary?= toxic) i think pretty much every democrat can agree with edwards

July 8, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  20. Jason

I smell a rat.

July 8, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  21. Michael

That would be an absolutely fabulous ticket!!!!!

July 8, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  22. Pam H. Los Angeles, CA

NO!! That could blow it for Obama!!

July 8, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  23. MJ

nO EDWARDS. The man is loser!!!!!!!!!!

July 8, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  24. crooksandliars

This is GREAT news. I would love to see an Obama/Edwards ticket.
    Two men who would bring a fresh modern outlook to Washington.

July 8, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  25. NObama

Ok, he has now said that he would run with Obama twice. He is the professional begger, but he should join the ticket. Dumb and Dumber 2008.

July 8, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |