July 8th, 2008

Edwards would 'seriously consider' VP offer

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/08/art.edwards.gi.jpg caption="Edwards didn't rule out running for VP a second time."](CNN) - John Edwards said Tuesday that if he were asked to accept the vice presidential slot or a cabinet position in a potential Barack Obama administration, he would “seriously consider” whatever the Illinois senator asked him to do.

It has been widely reported that the former North Carolina senator is on Obama’s vice presidential shortlist. On Tuesday, NPR interviewer Guy Raz called the former Democratic presidential candidate’s presence on the list an “open secret,” and asked Edwards whether he’d weigh accepting a vice presidential offer, or might take himself out of consideration as Virginia Senator Jim Webb had done Monday.

“I’m glad to hear that’s an open secret because I didn’t know it,” joked Edwards of his rumored consideration as Obama’s running mate.

“My answer to that is, I’ve run for vice president, I’ve run for president twice. I would do anything that I felt I could do to serve this country but I think it’s a huge presumption for me or anybody else to suggest what Senator Obama may decide,” he said.

Watch: Flashback: Kerry picks Edwards for No. 2

“To answer your question directly: I don’t expect to be asked, have no expectation about it at all, I will – anything that Senator Obama asks me to do, including this, including campaigning for him, I intend to do, because what I’m going to do, I intend to take seriously,” he added. “What I intend to do is everything in my power, use everything in my power to make sure that he’s the next president.”

Pressed on whether that meant he might join the ticket if asked, Edwards would not rule it out. “I am prepared to seriously consider anything, anything he asks me to do for our country,” he told NPR.

When he endorsed Obama in May, John Kerry’s 2004 running mate had said he was not interested in another vice presidential bid.

In June, the Associated Press reported that Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, who has met with Obama's vice presidential search committee, had been told Edwards was on the list of candidates.

1. Rigo, Madison, WI

Choosing Edwards was a mistake once and to do it again? It reminds me of a proverb I've heard before.

July 8, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  2. spencer

We most definitely need John Edwards in the new administration–but we need him to be Attorney General–to get to the bottom of that mess and straighten out our legal system. He'd be wasted as veep. Later he'd be great on the Supreme Court.

July 8, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  3. Terrence (Winston Salem, NC)

I would think this was the ORIGINAL dream ticket. Edwards is young energetic and doesn't have the "dirty politician" image. His wife is a champion for healthcare which will make it a priority of his as well. I say that's the ticket to beat. It's either him or Sebelius.

July 8, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  4. American

McFlip Flop does not have a prayer.

OBAMA '08!

July 8, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  5. Dee

Whew,

Now Obama has five choices for Vice President and they are the following:
    Hillary Clinton
    John Edwards
    Sam Nunn
    Wesley Clark
    Bill Richardson.

I like John Edwards alot. I really like him as Obama's running mate. I hope Obama goes with Edwards, cause I don't think he has too many other serious options.

July 8, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  6. Will

YOU GO JOHN!!! KEEP HIM HONEST!!

July 8, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  7. Lesley

I don't think so.

July 8, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  8. Brandon Hillary PUMA for Mc Cain-Pa

Ah Johnny you were so successful in helping Kerry in 2004 huh.
    Couldnt even carry your home state. Endorsed obama even though Elizabeth wanted Hillary.

July 8, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  9. Brandon Hillary PUMA for Mc Cain-Pa

Any man who would campaign for the presidency when his wife is struggle with cancer does not have her best interests at heart.

July 8, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  10. Sashi

wow!!! John for VP! It's the best ever possible team, to take us back. Go Obama!

July 8, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  11. Alex_58

Looks like all of the politicians are flip-flopping these days. I do think Edwards would be a strong running mate for Obama, though.

July 8, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  12. TrueDemocrat

If Edwards is VP, the deal will be sealed. McSame is going down.

July 8, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  13. William,from Cali!

Too many, "Willing to serve, the Nation"; but too few, "willing to fix the real problems, of the Nation". I say! Can I get an Amen, on that!

July 8, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  14. Jay

Oh Gosh, another flip flopper... He would be perfect with Obama. No, I will not be VP, well, Maybe, now, Yes, I will be VP if asked. Make up your mind Edwards. You're are already a 3 times loser. Why not make it four.

July 8, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  15. Allan

They will lose anyway. They play race card w/out any provocation.

July 8, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  16. Alec

Obama should ask Sharpton or Jackson.

July 8, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  17. Ardnuas

This would be a WINNING ticket !!!

July 8, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  18. Kim, Studio City, CA

Ahh...so this is the DNC's way of getting rid of Hillary for VP.

No Obama/Hillary 08...NOBAMA. The DNC is playing with fire:
    I will not vote for Obama, nor will I give money if HILLARY IS NOT THE VP. You give Edwards the VP when HILLARY GOT 18 MILLION VOTES.
    This will be t he last straw.

July 8, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  19. Lisa

Anyone But Hillary !

July 8, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  20. Griff

So what are we going to to, Madam Lucy. About this Alien Obama? It's too late, pretend we didn't know... When we get Elected, we will denounce Obama on his none American Citienship....

July 8, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  21. Eric

Yawn. He didn't get enough in 2004? Obama isn't getting my vote because of his new stance on the FISA bill so it doesn't matter, but he is going to need a VP with executive experience, that leaves Edwards out.

July 8, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  22. RC

Do you want to be second in line for the most important job in the world or not, Ed? If Obama chooses him, the GOP will just point out how dear old John is a flipflopper.

July 8, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  23. Buddy

What about Rev. Wright's Chances.

July 8, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  24. patricia

This is good news. Edwards is a man of character who would help Obama get this country headed in the right direction again.

July 8, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |