July 8th, 2008

Edwards would 'seriously consider' VP offer

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/08/art.edwards.gi.jpg caption="Edwards didn't rule out running for VP a second time."](CNN) - John Edwards said Tuesday that if he were asked to accept the vice presidential slot or a cabinet position in a potential Barack Obama administration, he would “seriously consider” whatever the Illinois senator asked him to do.

It has been widely reported that the former North Carolina senator is on Obama’s vice presidential shortlist. On Tuesday, NPR interviewer Guy Raz called the former Democratic presidential candidate’s presence on the list an “open secret,” and asked Edwards whether he’d weigh accepting a vice presidential offer, or might take himself out of consideration as Virginia Senator Jim Webb had done Monday.

“I’m glad to hear that’s an open secret because I didn’t know it,” joked Edwards of his rumored consideration as Obama’s running mate.

“My answer to that is, I’ve run for vice president, I’ve run for president twice. I would do anything that I felt I could do to serve this country but I think it’s a huge presumption for me or anybody else to suggest what Senator Obama may decide,” he said.

Watch: Flashback: Kerry picks Edwards for No. 2

“To answer your question directly: I don’t expect to be asked, have no expectation about it at all, I will – anything that Senator Obama asks me to do, including this, including campaigning for him, I intend to do, because what I’m going to do, I intend to take seriously,” he added. “What I intend to do is everything in my power, use everything in my power to make sure that he’s the next president.”

Pressed on whether that meant he might join the ticket if asked, Edwards would not rule it out. “I am prepared to seriously consider anything, anything he asks me to do for our country,” he told NPR.

When he endorsed Obama in May, John Kerry’s 2004 running mate had said he was not interested in another vice presidential bid.

In June, the Associated Press reported that Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, who has met with Obama's vice presidential search committee, had been told Edwards was on the list of candidates.

1. Nsikan

Refine is not the same as redefine.
    We need put some good dictionaries in the hands of the GOP to make our lives easier. A little education is worse than none. Can you imagine how many lectures we had to do on this? It reminded me about "renounce and reject" November can't come sooner!! We have to educate people about the constitution, economy, diplomacy and now English. How low have we gone since the last seven years? Maybe Obama should leave big grammar and speak like a cowboy or a south-south Chicago guy. BTW, Edward will be a good VP.

July 8, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  2. prayingforshalom

An Obama/Edwards combination would no doubt be a strong ticket in being agents for change, restoring our image abroad, and above all making poverty a key issue over the next 4-8 years.

July 8, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  3. Old Kentucky Dem

Here is the real dream ticket!

July 8, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  4. Annie

First no, then yes. The two fo them would be a perfect pair of going back on their word depenbding on how the wind is blowing.

July 8, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  5. Montana is Obama Country

John as much as I love you and did vote for you & Kerry, I am just not sure you are what Obama needs in a VEEp slot. I really believe Barack should seriously consider foreign policy credentials as a primary VP peep..

I can really see using your talents for a Prime position in the Barack's cabinet, Supreme Court or even the Attorney General top position..

Certainly find a place for you and keep you on the short list for cabinet members.. Prefect..!!

Yes...WE...Can... Obama/Biden 2008, 2012

July 8, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  6. Peter

HE should have been President.

But, he knows that we must all fight for the greater good which is a regime change in the White House.

Hope everyone else gets that.

July 8, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  7. Ian M

I don't know if he can help. He certainly didn't pull in a state for Kerry in 04.

July 8, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  8. Joel

Go for it Johnny Beefcake! It'll make the country's decent into full blown Socialism even faster!

July 8, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  9. Obama 08

Edwards would make a great Vice President. 8 years as Vice President, then a run for President would be great for him. Might help Obama to get more attention from White Blue Collar workers too in the North, and in the South.

Richardson is the best match though. Another great Vice President, and would make a great President in 8 years.. Brilliant man, great politician, and could help get voters in the West.

Sebellius the female Kansas Governor would also be a great pick. Tons of experience. Just like Obama liked by both Democrats and Republicans. Plus could help get women voters. She'd make a great first female president too. Plus votes in Central U.S.

Obama can't go wrong with any of those 3!!!!

July 8, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  10. JERRAL

MR EDWARDS
    WE WILL WELCOME YOU WITH OPEN ARMS.
    SO MAYBE IT WILL BE =OBAMA/EDWARDS

we could think of hillary if her supporters were not so hateful and bitter.
    they would ,ake life impossible for barack
    only part of her supporters are bad

have a cool day

cnn post this

July 8, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  11. Lisa

Sorry Edwards too late!

July 8, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  12. Gary of El Centro, Ca

Obama/Edwards would be good.........I like Obama/Richardson or Obama/Biden better.

July 8, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  13. Lisa

I hope Obama doesn't come out a give a flip flopping speech.

July 8, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  14. Terri

Oh, Mr. Edwards! Would you ,sir, please do us the honor of accepting the VP position? I will spend my life savings putting this party in place to re-establish honor to this remarkable and blessed nation.

July 8, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  15. Frank, San Francisco

Been there done that. YAWN

July 8, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  16. Caleb

I am completely tired of all these people, who keep on boring us with their many fervent promises not to vote for Obama. The last time I checked, the good ol' US of A, was and still is a democracy. As such its people are free to exercise their civic right, to vote for or against whomsoever they please.

You don't want to vote for Obama, and I cannot wait to vote for this "shining statesman... (Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia)" So shut the **** up, and go vote as you please in November, and we all will God willing, live to see the result of our collective votes.

July 8, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  17. Delegate from California

Oh My God.

Is this guy really serious, he already was chosen as VP and we lost.

I am sorry but the only person they should serously consider is Senator Hillary Clinton, she won almost 18, 000, 000 votes, how many did Edwards received?

Thank you.

Clinton/Obama 2008

July 8, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  18. Adam

I think he can do better than VP. I think he should be Obama's first Supreme Court nominee. If there is a filibuster, use the nuclear option.

July 8, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  19. loribee

It's about time!! YEA!!
    Obama '08

July 8, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  20. Justin -NC

I say do it. Any senator or governor elected from a Republican state the better chances Obama will have a turning that state BLUE

July 8, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  21. Olivia

He didn't get enough support from the people while running as a candidate. After failing so often in his tries for the white house, why would Obama even consider him as vp over Hillary who whupped him soundly.

I think Obama is looking for someone who won't threaten him, and Hillary is more than his match.

July 8, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  22. Brian

I don't know if it be Obama's best decision, but it sure wouldn't be his worst! A lot of people really like Edwards–including me.

July 8, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  23. RW

NO... this guy couldnt deliver his own state!!!! he is a loser; let him focus as trial lawyer!!!

July 8, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  24. Dan, Idaho Falls, Idaho

Loser. Why not Kerry, or even Dukakis for Veep?

July 8, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  25. Joshua College Station Texas

Yeah he wants it. Edwards is the man. Woo hoo!

He would be a perfect choice. And he and Obama would get it done. No more NeoCons!

July 8, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |