July 8th, 2008

Edwards would 'seriously consider' VP offer

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/08/art.edwards.gi.jpg caption="Edwards didn't rule out running for VP a second time."](CNN) - John Edwards said Tuesday that if he were asked to accept the vice presidential slot or a cabinet position in a potential Barack Obama administration, he would “seriously consider” whatever the Illinois senator asked him to do.

It has been widely reported that the former North Carolina senator is on Obama’s vice presidential shortlist. On Tuesday, NPR interviewer Guy Raz called the former Democratic presidential candidate’s presence on the list an “open secret,” and asked Edwards whether he’d weigh accepting a vice presidential offer, or might take himself out of consideration as Virginia Senator Jim Webb had done Monday.

“I’m glad to hear that’s an open secret because I didn’t know it,” joked Edwards of his rumored consideration as Obama’s running mate.

“My answer to that is, I’ve run for vice president, I’ve run for president twice. I would do anything that I felt I could do to serve this country but I think it’s a huge presumption for me or anybody else to suggest what Senator Obama may decide,” he said.

Watch: Flashback: Kerry picks Edwards for No. 2

“To answer your question directly: I don’t expect to be asked, have no expectation about it at all, I will – anything that Senator Obama asks me to do, including this, including campaigning for him, I intend to do, because what I’m going to do, I intend to take seriously,” he added. “What I intend to do is everything in my power, use everything in my power to make sure that he’s the next president.”

Pressed on whether that meant he might join the ticket if asked, Edwards would not rule it out. “I am prepared to seriously consider anything, anything he asks me to do for our country,” he told NPR.

When he endorsed Obama in May, John Kerry’s 2004 running mate had said he was not interested in another vice presidential bid.

In June, the Associated Press reported that Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, who has met with Obama's vice presidential search committee, had been told Edwards was on the list of candidates.

1. Scott L

Edwards won't join the ticket. Been there done that.

Obama is going to get decimated in the general election. We have so many friends who didn't even show up at the polls during the primaries and they are voting for McCain. Sure we have some friends of ours that like Obama as well, but they have had a hard time lately articulating what he stands for. I enjoy reminding them that Obama's hardcore liberal stances are now shifting and he is backtracking on every promise he made not to be the same old same old. Guess what...he is just like the rest of them. At least with John we know what we are getting. Check his record.

July 8, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  2. Jim

He's perfect. He's got the total flip flop down.

July 8, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  3. I Like John Edwards

I like Edwards, and I hope he seriously considers the offer. He knows Barack is really, really popular with the American people, and anyone Barack approaches would be popular with his following.

Obama/Edwards 08

July 8, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  4. michelle

john:

i didn't realize one "ran" for a VP spot. aren't you just tagging along on the ticket to get the #1 guy in?

edwards isn't running for anything. he would be chosen, and would have to accept or decline, but he's not "running" or campaigning for himself.

July 8, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  5. Independent Voter

This guy will do anything to be either Pres or VP.

Pathetic!

July 8, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  6. I Like It

Obama 08/12 and Edwards 16/20.

Sounds like a plan.

Obama 08

July 8, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  7. dems be dopes

Edwards, Gore, Kerry...........

Strike one, two, three.

You're OUT!

You still need to fine out who is behind this empty suit, someone has paid big bucks to get Obama nominated.

Those who funded this operation will expect a return on this investment.

July 8, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  8. Izzie

Are you kidding me Brandon, John Edwards doesn't do anything before talking to his family. He loves his wife and I think Elizabeth has probably been pushing him out there to get on the ticket.

Obama/Edwards 08

July 8, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  9. Sharon

Well lets see Richardson, Biden and Edwards. That is probably all left on VP list. Of the three I like Biden, but I still will not vote for Obama. No I forgot the Governor of Kansas whats her name. Edwards could not win his own state in 2004. Richardson – words cannot describe him and then the Governor – he would not get any of Hillary's 18 million if he pick her. Obama is too arrogant to pick the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 8, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  10. minuteman

Obama is dead set against stiking Irans' nuclear facility as stated in jewsagainstobama.org. Would Edwards sway Obama on this or is he in total agreement with Obama on this issue?

July 8, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  11. KE

Now that the magic has gone from the Obama campaign, what extraordinary things can they do to stop people from walking away in disappointment? Big rallies and speeches or VP? If there were any love existed, the love may have been burdened with guilt from the very start. But for most of us, we don’t need to suffer the mischief of love and the guilt placed upon us by others. We have choices.

Has somebody deceived us into thinking that we don’t have a choice? Nobody secured the nomination yet. The super delegates haven’t been giving a chance to vote yet. We have choices in Denver (we should), and then we have choices again in November.

By the way, how much money is enough to buy 18 million love and more?

July 8, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  12. texas DEM

VICE PRESIDENT CLINTON
    OR
    President John McCain

July 8, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  13. Buddy Out

No Buddy, what about your chances of getting on the ticket–zero, which is what you are by the way.

July 8, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  14. fred

Edwards couldnt even run and win the governship of North Carolina!

July 8, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  15. Tim

Best news I've heard all day as John Edwards should have been the Democratic Nominee these last 2 times now.
    Great news!!

July 8, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  16. frank

Iam a life long demo
    who will not vote for obama
    he is a sell out for all us demo
    so who cares
    take your wife she now pourd of the U_S_A

July 8, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  17. funny

that's weird. the edwards bashers on here all seem to be voting for mccain. hhmmmm....

Obama/Edwards '08!

July 8, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  18. Chris, San Diego

The so-called combat vet (as if that means something) say's: Well a loser with a loser. That makes sense. I wish the girlie man would pick him. That would be so nice. Obama changes his positions like i change my undies. daily sometimes twice a day. Vote McCain. He appreciates our values and will hold them sacred.

This real combat vet recognizes (like many others I'm sure) through your use of the term "girlie-man" that your IQ basically disqualifies you from having an intelligent opinion.

Go back and do your home work on both candidates and you'll certainly find Mc Stale is the flip flopper same-old same-old. I'm sure you voted for rock head W and therefore bear some respoonsibilty for the economy, the war and Bin Ladens permanent vacation.

Stay in the military where people tell you what to do and you're not required to think for yourself and do us all a favor.

July 8, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  19. Anita from Arizona

SAGE4OBAMA,

I totally agree with you. If he so easily cheated on his wife, do you really think he won't do it again? Morally, McCain is a trainwreck.

July 8, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  20. Ben

Do Hillary supporters really think the Barack supporters will stand for her on the ticket? Let's get real, it's not happening.

If we wanted her to be VP, she would have been the president. We didn't want her as our president and we don't want her as our VP.

NO HILLARY, EVER !

So go whine, kick, scream, holler, say you're voting for McCain, yada, yada–we don't care. Pay for her debt, like the crazzies you are, and leave sane people alone.

July 8, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  21. Alex_58

Edwards for the Supreme Court? Are you serious!! Edwards as AG maybe, but not for the Supreme Court.

We need Edwards as AG so he can fire the Bush-appointed judges (and no one will complain about it...)

July 8, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  22. Giovanna

I think Obama and Edwards would relate very well together, but Edwards didn't get much support in past contests. I wonder why not?

July 8, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  23. Mark

Well CNN, why didn't you report that Warner just turned down the Democratic VP spot along with Webb and Strickland? Could it be that they know things don't look positive for Obama? Let Edwards accept the VP spot; it's his to lose AGAIN!

July 8, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  24. Nancy

Dear Scott L,

Take your meds and dream on, McBush is not winning this election. There are too many Dems salivating to vote for Barack–overwhelmingly. My advice to you is to move out of the way because the Obama train is barreling down the tracks for Washington, D.C.

July 8, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  25. Sammy

Edwards isnt a bad choice but there are others that would make a better VP right now. Yes Clinton is on that list but wouldnt be the best one for the job.

July 8, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |