July 8th, 2008

Edwards would 'seriously consider' VP offer

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/08/art.edwards.gi.jpg caption="Edwards didn't rule out running for VP a second time."](CNN) - John Edwards said Tuesday that if he were asked to accept the vice presidential slot or a cabinet position in a potential Barack Obama administration, he would “seriously consider” whatever the Illinois senator asked him to do.

It has been widely reported that the former North Carolina senator is on Obama’s vice presidential shortlist. On Tuesday, NPR interviewer Guy Raz called the former Democratic presidential candidate’s presence on the list an “open secret,” and asked Edwards whether he’d weigh accepting a vice presidential offer, or might take himself out of consideration as Virginia Senator Jim Webb had done Monday.

“I’m glad to hear that’s an open secret because I didn’t know it,” joked Edwards of his rumored consideration as Obama’s running mate.

“My answer to that is, I’ve run for vice president, I’ve run for president twice. I would do anything that I felt I could do to serve this country but I think it’s a huge presumption for me or anybody else to suggest what Senator Obama may decide,” he said.

Watch: Flashback: Kerry picks Edwards for No. 2

“To answer your question directly: I don’t expect to be asked, have no expectation about it at all, I will – anything that Senator Obama asks me to do, including this, including campaigning for him, I intend to do, because what I’m going to do, I intend to take seriously,” he added. “What I intend to do is everything in my power, use everything in my power to make sure that he’s the next president.”

Pressed on whether that meant he might join the ticket if asked, Edwards would not rule it out. “I am prepared to seriously consider anything, anything he asks me to do for our country,” he told NPR.

When he endorsed Obama in May, John Kerry’s 2004 running mate had said he was not interested in another vice presidential bid.

In June, the Associated Press reported that Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, who has met with Obama's vice presidential search committee, had been told Edwards was on the list of candidates.

1. greenfun

That explains the endorsement. What a chump. They would make a great pair of opportunists.

July 8, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  2. Fred

Edwards is loyal, and at least Barack wouldn't have to watch his back, as he would with Hillary and Bill.

Yeah, Hillary and Bill will help him alright, right off a cliff.

Obama/Edwards 08

July 8, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  3. H

FORGET IT JOHN. STAY AWAY. OBAMA IS NOT GOING TO WIN.

July 8, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  4. Malcom

First Edwards says he wouldn't accept a VP nod. Now he says he will. The flip-flop team. That could be their slogan. One flopper joins another. I am ashamed to be a Democrat. Obama with all his Hollywood glitz disgusts me. It's like the American Idol version of Presidential politics. Disgusting.

July 8, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  5. Boulder Brian

As a reply to Willy's comment:

What the heck kid? Are you serious? Do you realize it is bad mojo to say anything but that you don't want the job until it is an official offer? I'm surprised Edwards went as far as he did. You are supposed to decline in front of the media.

And to call Obama "America's homey" is one of the more ridiculous things I've heard...

July 8, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  6. Rusty, Portland

Hope Obama takes Edwards--he's such a loser that he'll help us bring Obama down.

July 8, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  7. DEX

Sorry guys isn't it obvious like with Bush that McCain is just not a smart guy. In fact, he seems dumb. I sure don't want him representing our great country.

July 8, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  8. jimmy velman

IS JOHN EDWARDS FLIP FLOPPING. DID HE NOT SAY PREVIOULSY
    THAT HE WAS NOT RUNNING FOR VP?

July 8, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  9. M.S. Indiana

We love you Edwards !!!!

July 8, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  10. Dana, MS

Dee,

Of all the people you listed only John Edwards is a good choice. The others are okay, but most of them are not sincere about Barack, such as Hillary, Clark, and Richardson. I don't know Sam Nunn.

July 8, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  11. Peter

HILLARY SHOULD NOT TAKE THE POSITION OF VP IF IS OFFERED. SHE HAS NOTHING TO GAIN.
    SHE IS BETTER QUALIFIED THAN BARACK AND ONE DAY SHE WILL BE PRESIDENT,

July 8, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  12. kim hussein taylor portland, oregon

wooooooooo hooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! obama, ASK HIM!!!!

edwards was my first choice, so VP is good enough! imagine how AWESOME american will be again with two in the white house!! hooooorraaayyyy

July 8, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  13. Charlotte

A flip-flopper? I could have sworn he already said, "no". Can't anyone in politics give a straight answer? I will write Hillary on my ballot in November, no matter who these jerks decide to run with.

July 8, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  14. jimmy velman

OBAMA HAS SOME SERIOUS THINKING AND EVALUATIING ON HIS VP CHOICES. HE IS BEING CLOSELY SCRUTINIZED NOW AS THE CONVENTION PREPARATIONS ARE GOING ON.
    tHE NOTION THAT McCAIN IS "OLD" DOES NOT CARRY AS MUCH WEIGHT AS INEXPERIENCE DOES. ESPECIALLY MORE SO NOW THAT WAR WITH IRAN SEEMS INEVITABLE.. WOULD AMERICANS
    VOTE FOR AN INEXPERIENCED CANDIDATE OVER A WAR HERO
    AND WITH MUCH EXPERIENCE LIKE JOHN McCAIN?

July 8, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  15. Anonymous

LOL CNN, I love your Flashback: Kerry picks Edwards. I seriously think Obama should pick no Vp if that is legal.

July 8, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  16. Russell Hammond

Huge mistake, especially if McCain selects Romney as his running mate. Obama needs a moderate/centrist to beat a McCain/Romney ticket. Clinton would spell disaster as well.

July 8, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  17. tarrie

Cnn: You are too obsessed with potential Obama VP's. Please take about substantives issues for e.g. the economy and world affairs. Day-after-day this network is looking more like Faux News.

July 8, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  18. Used to be a Dem.

No Obama ever!!!!!

July 8, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  19. Clinton 2012

He lost big this time and has nothing better to do. Give the Breck Girl a shot again.

July 8, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  20. S Callahan

Now this excites me...he would be an excellent VP!

July 8, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  21. Wayne

We sure know what we are getting with McCain – THE SAME !

July 8, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  22. christo

anyone who says they will not vote in this election is just plain stupid.

July 8, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  23. benvictor

Yea, I would put these two birds together. In the end, it makes no difference who is VP because the head of the ticket is unelectable. So, get over it.

July 8, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  24. Marge Hibbing Mn

ISthat why he started to stick his head up you know where on obama?
    guess he'll oick another looser won't he.

July 8, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  25. Peachy Keen

Frankly, I feel anyone who calls John Edwards a loser is probably someone who never finished school and is having trouble now paying their rent. John Edwards and Barack Obama are both self made men who became very successful because of hard work and by being self motivators. To succeed in this country, you need drive and brains. Both of these men have both.

And Combat Vet, if you have to change your undies twice a day, maybe you should change to Depends. What are you afraid of that cause's you to keep messing your pants. I'm afraid you are the loser.

July 8, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |