July 8th, 2008

Edwards would 'seriously consider' VP offer

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/08/art.edwards.gi.jpg caption="Edwards didn't rule out running for VP a second time."](CNN) - John Edwards said Tuesday that if he were asked to accept the vice presidential slot or a cabinet position in a potential Barack Obama administration, he would “seriously consider” whatever the Illinois senator asked him to do.

It has been widely reported that the former North Carolina senator is on Obama’s vice presidential shortlist. On Tuesday, NPR interviewer Guy Raz called the former Democratic presidential candidate’s presence on the list an “open secret,” and asked Edwards whether he’d weigh accepting a vice presidential offer, or might take himself out of consideration as Virginia Senator Jim Webb had done Monday.

“I’m glad to hear that’s an open secret because I didn’t know it,” joked Edwards of his rumored consideration as Obama’s running mate.

“My answer to that is, I’ve run for vice president, I’ve run for president twice. I would do anything that I felt I could do to serve this country but I think it’s a huge presumption for me or anybody else to suggest what Senator Obama may decide,” he said.

Watch: Flashback: Kerry picks Edwards for No. 2

“To answer your question directly: I don’t expect to be asked, have no expectation about it at all, I will – anything that Senator Obama asks me to do, including this, including campaigning for him, I intend to do, because what I’m going to do, I intend to take seriously,” he added. “What I intend to do is everything in my power, use everything in my power to make sure that he’s the next president.”

Pressed on whether that meant he might join the ticket if asked, Edwards would not rule it out. “I am prepared to seriously consider anything, anything he asks me to do for our country,” he told NPR.

When he endorsed Obama in May, John Kerry’s 2004 running mate had said he was not interested in another vice presidential bid.

In June, the Associated Press reported that Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, who has met with Obama's vice presidential search committee, had been told Edwards was on the list of candidates.

1. Voter

We saw how that worked out in 2004, right? He did not even carry NC, his home state. Not a good move for the Dems.

July 8, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  2. Neil

To the gentleman who left the first comment "A Combat Vet Observation" You have to change your undies all the time, sometimes twice a day? I guess you'll be needing extra diapers when Obama becomes our next president.

July 8, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  3. Shaik

Picking another (former) Senator would be a mistake. Would love to see someone not tainted by Washington politics – goes with his "CHANGE" message. Edwards could hold any Cabinet post and be successful and respected.
    Let's face it....people are tired of "career politicians"...

July 8, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  4. CA Loves Obama

H:

Have you heard of delusional disorder?

July 8, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  5. BROOKLYN

And... WE will seriously consider NEVER voting for that ticket!!!

July 8, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  6. nannie bouroughs, Kenosha, WI

I will accept the VP Position... I have no interest in the VP Position and I've said that many times...

I will DO ANYTHING, including be Senator Obama's VP to make sure he gets elected President... I am not interested in the VP Position...

John sounds just like Senator Obama: FLIP-FLOP...

July 8, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  7. lee

I don't want Edwards as VP. He was part of the loser team, Kerry-Edwards. I see that as a problem.
    I'd like to see Obama pick someone fresh.
    I'd really prefer Hillary as VP.

July 8, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  8. Lisa-Fl.

We will remember in November!!! PUMA POWER!!

July 8, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  9. Lesley

Scott L – I tried to check McCain's record but, sorry, I'm having a hard time deciding which McCain record to check. He has changed his position on many issues, includingh his own legislation, so I suppose he's one of the rest of them that you are speaking of. I think flip flop should be banned from the English language.

July 8, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  10. Linda of Atlanta

I wish people would stop with the Hillary for VP nonsense. Hillary comes with Bill Clinton and that will not be good for Democrats. Who in the world would want Bill looking over and questionning every action he takes- Not Obama. People forget that Bill served his two terms and nobody wants him to think he has a third term.
    I really like the idea of Edwards as VP!

July 8, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  11. strong

Of course Edwards would take it, if asked. Like duh.

Doesn't his cheezy grin say it all ??

July 8, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  12. Ian

Interesting. And what about the looming Social Security crisis? You know, the one that has a $30 trillion price tag and we have no money in savings. Maybe that's going to be the trade-off when we have national healthcare.

July 8, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  13. Hussein

I'm Open to It ... They got good Chemistry ...

But Think Edwards looking for AG position ...

July 8, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  14. NotFallingInLine.org

Edwards, eh? Well, so many others who are serious about their futures – including Hillary – have already turned Barry down. I suppose Edwards figures that he's got nothing to lose. Unfortunately for Barry, it's not all that clear that Edwards would bring North Carolina to him the way that Webb would have brought Virginia.

Knoxville NFIL

July 8, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  15. Cindy

Hmmmm... so Obama "did" buy Edwards a jetski afterall... ;->

I think the compliment each other, really well. I don't feel the tension between them, like I feel with Clinton. I think it would be a very good ticket.

July 8, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  16. debo

Perfect match!!! I have always wanted Edwards on that ticket.
    Could not ask for a better match!!!!!

July 8, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  17. Carol, Lansing

Edwards would be a great choice, he is a true American who looks out for the little guy and not corporate America. Whomever is VP, I expect the Edwards and Hillary to work closely with Barack when he is elected.

Barack 08

P redictable Republicans
    U ndercover
    M asquerading
    A s disgruntled Hillary supporters/Dems

July 8, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  18. probama in paradise

What about Obama/Betancourt?
    She's a P.O.W. and much prettier than McCain...she'd clinch the Catholic and Latino vote!
    What a spunky lady...too bad she's not a citizen!

July 8, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  19. Tanya Kujath

What is up with you bitter, angry, obviously delusional Hillary supporters? I also supported Hillary until she LOST, however for the sake of our Country I support Barrack Obama aka the guy that will be on the ballot this November. Jeez folks get over it already.
    DEMOCRATS UNITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 8, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  20. floridian

What will we do with another lawyer - making that a total of three - in the top two positions in the free world? Egads! Can't the donkeys find someone with integrity?

July 8, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  21. Georgina Clemons

I THINK JOHN EDWARDS WOULD BE THE "PERFECT" VICE PRESIDENT FOR THE UNITED STATES. ACTUALLY, HE WAS MY PREFERENCE FOR PRESIDENT. NOT THAT I DID NOT LIKE OBAMA. BEING AN AFRICAN AMERICAN, I AM PROUD OF OBAMA. DURING THE EARLIER TIME OF THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINATING PROCESS, I DID NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT BARACK OBAMA AND THE CIVIC WORK HE HAS DONE IN HIS COMMUNITY, BUT I KNEW ALOT ABOUT HOW JOHN EDWARDS WAS SACRIFING HIS LIFE TO HELP THE PEOPLE IN NEW ORLEANS WHO SO DESPERATELY NEEDED SOMEONE TO SPEAK AND ACT ON THEIR BEHALF.

July 8, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  22. Ronald

Most of you, not all, reb or dem are idiots! It scares me that some of you get to vote.

July 8, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  23. Francis, Hawaii

Edwards is much better than Clinton!

July 8, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  24. Politico

Edwards for Attorney General, but not Veep.

July 8, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  25. c schildknecht

Just what is needed – two inexperienced people occupying the two most important positions in the government. Edwards was not only unable to make his case to the American people in the 2004 primaries – he was also unable to carry his won state in the national election. In the 2008 primaries he again ran a distant third. I fail to see what he brings to the ticket ither than a pretty boy image. To be quite honest, his time would be better spent tending to his young children and his ailing wife.
    Obama needs someone who will offset the weaknesses that he brings to the ticket. He needs someone with foreign policy experience and who has served in several different governmental positions. Of all the Democrats available – Bill Richardson is the obvious candidate. In addition, he brings Hispanic credentials.
    While I have not made up my mind who I will support (I have voted Republican since I first voted in 1972 and frankly, I am very unhappy with the selection of John McCain) I do know that an Obama Edwards ticket will not get my vote. WHile I am no fan of Bill Richardson, I do feel that an Obama Richardson ticket would have much to offer and could very well get my vote in November.

July 8, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |