July 8th, 2008

Edwards would 'seriously consider' VP offer

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/08/art.edwards.gi.jpg caption="Edwards didn't rule out running for VP a second time."](CNN) - John Edwards said Tuesday that if he were asked to accept the vice presidential slot or a cabinet position in a potential Barack Obama administration, he would “seriously consider” whatever the Illinois senator asked him to do.

It has been widely reported that the former North Carolina senator is on Obama’s vice presidential shortlist. On Tuesday, NPR interviewer Guy Raz called the former Democratic presidential candidate’s presence on the list an “open secret,” and asked Edwards whether he’d weigh accepting a vice presidential offer, or might take himself out of consideration as Virginia Senator Jim Webb had done Monday.

“I’m glad to hear that’s an open secret because I didn’t know it,” joked Edwards of his rumored consideration as Obama’s running mate.

“My answer to that is, I’ve run for vice president, I’ve run for president twice. I would do anything that I felt I could do to serve this country but I think it’s a huge presumption for me or anybody else to suggest what Senator Obama may decide,” he said.

Watch: Flashback: Kerry picks Edwards for No. 2

“To answer your question directly: I don’t expect to be asked, have no expectation about it at all, I will – anything that Senator Obama asks me to do, including this, including campaigning for him, I intend to do, because what I’m going to do, I intend to take seriously,” he added. “What I intend to do is everything in my power, use everything in my power to make sure that he’s the next president.”

Pressed on whether that meant he might join the ticket if asked, Edwards would not rule it out. “I am prepared to seriously consider anything, anything he asks me to do for our country,” he told NPR.

When he endorsed Obama in May, John Kerry’s 2004 running mate had said he was not interested in another vice presidential bid.

In June, the Associated Press reported that Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, who has met with Obama's vice presidential search committee, had been told Edwards was on the list of candidates.

1. RON

Lou Dobbs, Jack and Wolf join Obama's cabinet. McCain can pickup DOG DOO from the white house grounds

July 8, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  2. Joe Bloggs, Haiku, HI

John Edwards – brilliant choice! The main issue is the ECONOMY and Edwards has the strongest most sincere pro-worker platform of all the Dems. Sure the right-wing bigoted idiots (call them BIGIOTS) will make fun of his hair, but who cares?! Obama can't lose – unless he Were to choose Hillary, which is virtually impossible. Edwards would seal the deal. Can you spell L-A-N-D-S-L-I-D-E ?!

A SUGGESTION TO ALL YOU PSEUDO PRO-HILLARY RIGHT-WING NUT-JOBS: Get a life! Have you actually watched McCain give an entire speech?! Quite scarey! At least when he was a maverick he could speak from his convictions. Now he can only speak from teleprompters and sometimes he can barely read what he is saying.

Obama could run with Barney as his running mate and he would still trounce McCain!

July 8, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  3. H-ROD

not bad but keep looking get the best you can get ! Yes Obama Can!!!

July 8, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  4. ANTI CLINTON

First he says he won't accept the VP position, now he says he would consider it! Typical Liberal freedom hater to keep changing his mind, idiot!

July 8, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  5. Will from Gaithersburg, MD

Obama/Edwards 08!

July 8, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  6. Greg

when likely will vp announcements be just wondering ?

July 8, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  7. Alexis

let's stop going around the subject, as an Obama fan I seriously would love to see Obama ask Hillary to be his Vice President. If he does that it's a done deal, we will have the first African American president in the USA.... the smell of change, the beggining of a new era.

Obama/ Clinton 08-12; 12-16
    YES WE CAN.
    SI SE PUEDE.
    OUI NOUS POUVONS.
    OUI NOU KAPAB.

I LOVE THE USA MORE THAN MY COUNTRY OF BIRTH, THERE I SAID IT..... I LOVE THE USA.

July 8, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  8. Nom Deplume

Hope everyone has moved their 401(k)s into bonds . . . . .

Obama/Edwards would be the combination that, more than any other, would cause a continued stock selloff, rise in layoffs ahead of inauguration, and kiss your benefits goodbye.

Any corporation that can trim costs ahead of these two will do so. Already WARN Act notices have skyrocketed

Remember, Roosevelt's tax policies, wealth redistribution, new regulations and agencies, and the seizure of gold coins, certificates and bullion did not end the Depression. WWII ended it. Ironic, huh?

July 8, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  9. maureen

BROOKLYN

So??????

July 8, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  10. Ex-Republican for Obama

Combat Vet states Loser with Loser?

Based on that logic Combat Vet supporting McCain must indicate he he is with McCain because he too comitted Treason while serving.

FYI: I'm a combat vet too, big fricken deal, no tags needed when you are patriotic. I served my country out of love for it, not so I can run around and campaign with its tag (hee hee, I just did though now didn't I). Only scum bags tote their service as some form of entitlement to respect and/or positions of authority. Now go figure out what I just called you junior.

July 8, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  11. Carolina Dood

OBAMA-EDWARDS !!!

Now THAT's a REAL DREAM TEAM.

Go Barack and John !!

July 8, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  12. Ted

Yes! An Obama/Edwards ticket would be made of pure awesome. As long as it's not Hillary or Nunn (have you seen that guy speak?) I'm for it. Obama/Edwards, Obama/Biden, Obama/Insert_Name_Here, I'll vote for it. I doubt this will be poasted, but it's worth a shot.

Oh, and to those PUMA people: are you really going to vote against your own best interests just because your horse lost? I preferred Dean over Kerry in '04, but nonetheless in November I went and voted for the Democratic ticket. Think before you vote.

July 8, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  13. beverly

OBAMA AND EDWARS WELCOME ABOARD THE 2008 EXPRESS////////

July 8, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  14. William,from Cali!

Just pick "Somebody", the suspense is killing me!(Just Words)............ from a "Real Republican!)

July 8, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  15. Ex-Republican for Obama

Combat Vet states Loser with Loser?

Based on that logic Combat Vet supporting McCain must indicate he is with McCain because he too comitted Treason while serving.

July 8, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  16. Dilly Everett

Clark VP – Edwards Attorney General- Biden Sec. of State – Powell Sec. Defense, Richards Sec .Energy- H. Clinton Supreme Court Justice. Hillary on the supreme court will make the neo-con's heads pop off – and she could be there for many, many years!

July 8, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  17. H-ROD

I can't wait untill the debates Obama is going to just cream Mccain mr flip flop, flip flop, over 50 listed flip flop one after the other ( yes Obama can)!!!!

July 8, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  18. Tim, California

That's pretty pathetic that you wouldn't post my comment.

It figures. It only confirms your left-wing agenda.

What a joke.

July 8, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  19. chris in va

I'm curious, in this age of electronic voting how do the "write in Hillary" crowd plan to write in Hillary?

July 8, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  20. F. Castro

Edwards would doom the ticket. Look how much he helped Kerry in '04. If Obama wants REAL change he will add Hillary to the ticket. It is the ONLY way for him to win now.

July 8, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  21. Jan

I like Edwards and think he is an honorable man. His wife is lovely and he likes Barack. He would be my number one choice for Barack.

Obama 08

July 8, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  22. NG in DC

Ahh, been there, done that...unsuccessfully.

Clinton for VP or stayin home.

July 8, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  23. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

Edwards would be a great pick for VP with Obama.....

and NO CLINTONS

July 8, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  24. Sue

Bad idea. Obama will lose, and he will have been on a losing ticket twice as VP candidate. Run the next time. Edwards had the best platform, but the media didn't cover him. All the attention was focused on Hillary and Obama. Obama is just too wishy-washy, and will taint Edwards' image. Edwards can stand on his own, not as #2–that is, if the media will give him a fair shake.

McCain 2008

July 8, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  25. JD

I guess edwards wants to be on another losing ticket

McCain '08