July 8th, 2008

Edwards would 'seriously consider' VP offer

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/08/art.edwards.gi.jpg caption="Edwards didn't rule out running for VP a second time."](CNN) - John Edwards said Tuesday that if he were asked to accept the vice presidential slot or a cabinet position in a potential Barack Obama administration, he would “seriously consider” whatever the Illinois senator asked him to do.

It has been widely reported that the former North Carolina senator is on Obama’s vice presidential shortlist. On Tuesday, NPR interviewer Guy Raz called the former Democratic presidential candidate’s presence on the list an “open secret,” and asked Edwards whether he’d weigh accepting a vice presidential offer, or might take himself out of consideration as Virginia Senator Jim Webb had done Monday.

“I’m glad to hear that’s an open secret because I didn’t know it,” joked Edwards of his rumored consideration as Obama’s running mate.

“My answer to that is, I’ve run for vice president, I’ve run for president twice. I would do anything that I felt I could do to serve this country but I think it’s a huge presumption for me or anybody else to suggest what Senator Obama may decide,” he said.

Watch: Flashback: Kerry picks Edwards for No. 2

“To answer your question directly: I don’t expect to be asked, have no expectation about it at all, I will – anything that Senator Obama asks me to do, including this, including campaigning for him, I intend to do, because what I’m going to do, I intend to take seriously,” he added. “What I intend to do is everything in my power, use everything in my power to make sure that he’s the next president.”

Pressed on whether that meant he might join the ticket if asked, Edwards would not rule it out. “I am prepared to seriously consider anything, anything he asks me to do for our country,” he told NPR.

When he endorsed Obama in May, John Kerry’s 2004 running mate had said he was not interested in another vice presidential bid.

In June, the Associated Press reported that Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, who has met with Obama's vice presidential search committee, had been told Edwards was on the list of candidates.

1. eagle

We need John Edwards like we need another gas tax. No thanks!

July 8, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  2. Realist

As much as I hate to admit it, recent polling suggests an Obama/Clinton ticket... in spite of the supposed threat of Hillary inciting some miraculous GOP get out the vote efforts come November.

Hillary, for historic and executive reasons, will corner the women's and Latino vote. The Dem voter mismatch with a Obama/Clinton ticket will overwhelm any GOP threat. Bill is the only wildcard in offering Hillary the spot and will be advised to be less visible and pull back on the campaign circuit. He will work the behind the scenes DNC fundraising.

Edwards will not draw the vote and is, instead, the likely next US attorney general.

The GOPs woeful trickle down voodoo economic policies, domestic mismanagement, and arrogant foreign policies have run their course.

Obama/Clinton '08 '12 and Clinton/Rendell '16 '20

July 8, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  3. Shirley-Ohio

Awesome. The ultimate tag team. Lets do this.

July 8, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  4. PUMA-SF

Oh yes please that will make it even more fun to vote for McCain.

PUMA POWER

July 8, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  5. cg

Why would Obama pick Edwards when he could have Clinton? That just seems down-right stupid. Oh well, it's Washington.

July 8, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  6. dave,sf

Hillary people; Please drop Hillary once and for all. I am so tired and sick of hearing her name. Yes, Obama-Edwards!!!!!!

July 8, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  7. Kevin

Obama is welcome to this spineless windbag

July 8, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  8. Priscilla

Edwards is a hypocrite. He said he was not interested in the VP slot and now he said if Obama asks him, he is interested. Whatever. I am voting for no one this year, because no one deserves my vote!

July 8, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  9. Christian

To all the people calling Edwards a loser:

YOU are the losers. What have you done better than Senator Edwards?
    Just because his failures have been made public in the media whereas your miserable lives have been hidden from the camera's vicious eye does not make you experts on success and winning.

He is rich, articulate, handsome, and cool. Most of you people are ugly bitter trolls.

Obama/Edwards 08

July 8, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  10. Tjaye in LA

YES YES YES!!!

That is my DREAM TICKET!!! I have that pick of them at Edwards' endorsement of Obama and MAN they look like a Presidential team.

I love that he went from absolutely not, to I don't expect to be asked to "I'll consider it".

YES YES YES!!!

Obama/Edwards '08/12

July 8, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  11. Martin

John Edwards would be a good choice,
    I feel Dick Gephardt would be a better choice for Obama.

For McCain since this is all about the Economy
    either Mitt Romney,John Kasich or Mayor Bloomberg
    other choices may not add up so well in this climate.

July 8, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  12. Obama the Great Deceiver

Obama/Ralph Wiggum

July 8, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  13. Toot

Wasn't it not too long ago that he said he had no interest in becoming VP.
    Flip flop flop flip flip flop.
    Two of a kind!!

July 8, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  14. No McCain!

I'm confused, I thought he didn't want to be VP.

I don't want him on the ticket, he sure didn't help Kerry when America was STUPID ENOUGH TO ELECT BUSH. I was 14 and I knew that would be a mistake!

My favorite choices are Clinton and Gore.

Obama '08

July 8, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  15. vahe

lets do it!!!!!!!!

July 8, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  16. TC56

Obama may have the right stuff, but Edwards doesnt inspire anyone. I would place my bet on an Obama/Clinton ticket. It is a sure WIN to the White House. If not...What will the historians say?

July 8, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  17. Doris,Memphis,TN

Yes! Yes! Yes!
    John Edwards would be perfect!
    Give Joe Biden Secretary of State.
    I love Mrs. Edwards.
    This the best news I have heard today!

Obama/Edwards 2008-2016

July 8, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  18. Dec 25th 2012

Please elect this president carefully, this president will preside
    over Dec 25th 2012 – possible end of world or a new begining??

July 8, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  19. sharon

So what's wrong with John Edwards. Americans don't seem to like anyone in their country. These blogs on CNN are becoming the most hateful blogs on the planet. I for one, will not be reading them anymore. It is too frightening to see you people self destruct. From a Foreign Observer.

July 8, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  20. Ellen

Obama needs to be real careful about hangin with Edwards... He is a proven LOSER!

July 8, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  21. Hate to break it to you

Edwards is a great guy, I don't see a problem with that. And another thing, OBAMA WILL WIN...no questions about it. It will be close but he'll be President.

July 8, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  22. Janel, St. Paul, MN

What??????

Just a month ago, he said he would "not consider" such an invitation/

Oh brother! He's too late, way too late!!

I'm hoping that Biden is selected, or even Daschle, but not Edwards or never Clinton.

July 8, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  23. Mike Bulmer

I think everyone blaming Edwards for Kerry's loss in 2004 needs to take a step back and give the man a break. Let's get serious here for a minute and look at the facts. Yes, it's true Edwards couldn't deliver his home state, but we do have to consider the political and economic climate of 2004. Kerry was leading Bush in many of the polls until the Swift Boat ads and the dirty smear tactics of the GOP and Bush campaign entered the public eye.

It's also true that Kerry wasn't the greatest candidate to begin with. He is a war hero with plenty of experience, but was still viewed as far too liberal to be able to pull away any of Bush's supporters or rally the Democratic base like Obama has done.

Out of the televised debates leading up to the 2004 election, I found the most interesting one to be the VP debate between Edwards and Cheney. John Edwards ran circles around Dick Cheney. He was charming, witty, and wasn't afraid to break the debate rules a couple of times to call Cheney out on his illegal practices within the administration.

Obama and Edwards are more alike than even Obama and Clinton were. They are two young, smart, good-looking men who represent a movement for change, who want to turn their back on the old politics of this country, and who want to turn the page on the failed Bush policies of the past 7 years.

I personally think they would make an excellent team.

July 8, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  24. BJ

Why bother having a VP?

Obama and his bots seems to think he can win this all by himself. And to hear them, you would think he's capable of running the country alone too!

July 8, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  25. BH

Doesnot matter. Obama is not going to end the war, infact he is not even capable of doing so, if you listen to what he has been saying lately.
    Obama with John Edwards by his side is going to lose the general election. Joe Biden is the best option for him. He might win with Joe Biden at his side. Biden is a very smart man and the only person to have a solution for Iraq. Richardson is an opportunist who donot have any respect for loyalty or friendship.

I know Obama needs Hillary to win, but I really hope that she doesnot accept that offer. She should be president, not vice president.

July 8, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |