July 8th, 2008

Webb says no to being VP

Webb says he does not want to be asked to be the No.2.

Webb says he does not want to be asked to be the No.2.

(CNN) - You can officially scratch off Sen. Jim Webb's name from the list of Barack Obama's potential running mates.

The freshmen senator from Virginia and onetime Republican said unequivocally Monday he does not want to be the Illinois senator's No. 2.

Watch: How to get on the VP shortlist

"Last week I communicated to Senator Obama and his presidential campaign my firm intention to remain in the United States Senate, where I believe I am best equipped to serve the people of Virginia and this country," Webb said in an issued statement. “Under no circumstances will I be a candidate for Vice President."

Webb, a moderate Democrat and Vietnam veteran who successfully unseated former Virginia Sen. George Allen in 2006, has often been mentioned as a potential VP choice given his likely appeal in more conservative states, his early opposition to the Iraq war, and his credibility with military issues.

Election Center: Who's on the VP shortlists?

The Virginia senator also co-sponsored the Senate G.I. benefits bill passed this spring that seeks to increase tuition reimbursements for veterans. Despite an initial veto threat, President Bush signed the bill into law last week.

"I entered elective politics because of my commitment to strengthen America's national security posture, to promote economic fairness, and to increase government accountability," Webb also said. "I have worked hard to deliver upon that commitment, and I am convinced that my efforts and talents toward those ends are best served in the Senate."

Webb did not endorse a Democratic candidate during the primary season. Fellow Virginians Tim Kaine, the state’s governor, and Mark Warner, a former governor who is currently running for Senate, were also considered to be on in contention for the VP slot. Warner also took himself out of the running last month.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Jim Webb
  1. Matthew, Philadelphia, PA

HAHA! How many is that now who have taken themselves out of the running?

July 7, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  2. demwit

Evidently no one wants to be the flip to Obama's flop..

July 7, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  3. Ula Nejad- Sacramento Ca

Could be a smart thing to do. It would be interesting to see who will dare to sign their death warrant on their political career. This will be fun to see.

July 7, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  4. Saad from NJ

Don't really know him but he sounds good and maybe would have been a good VP.

July 7, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  5. gluv

sebilius for VP

and before people start stating she's uncharismatic (which she is) name one VP in modern history that you can recall that had more charisma than a president???

outside of that, she's everything hillary is minus the baggage hillary carrys along and can not only able to pull kansas (i mean they elected her govenor TWICE), but definitely a sure lock to win ohio as well

July 7, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  6. Jeff Long

I wish Obama could have been more like you Senator Webb. Obama hasn't even been a senator for that long. He want's to use his popularity to try to win the white house and its not going to work, because a lot of independents, democrats, and republicans are seeing right through his hype.

Substance over Hype!! McCain, 2008!

July 7, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  7. Hillary Backer for McCain

YAHOO!!
    ONE MORE STEP CLOSER TO HRC BABY!

OOPS, I GAVE AWAY THE SECRET PLAN!!

July 7, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  8. Lorna, NY

Too bad, he would have been perfect.

July 7, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  9. Scott L

Webb knows he does not have enough experience yet being a 1st term Senator. Duh...

July 7, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  10. CLINTON 08 VP

THE OBVIOUS...

UNITED WE'RE STRONGER

OBAMA (P) & CLINTON (VP) 2008-2014

NO TO "BUSH II" (MCCAIN), NO TO MR. WAR, MR. DEATH, MR. OOPS I BUMP MY HEAD A LOT, YOU ARE "WAR-SICK" BEACAUSE OF VIETNAM, YOU CAN'T BE PRESIDENT!

July 7, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  11. Hillary Backer for McCain

YAHOO!! ONE MORE STEP CLOSER TO HRC BABY!
    ONCE IN SHE WILL MAKE SURE TO SABOTAGE IT AND LOSE SO SHE CAN COME BACK IN 2012!! OOPS, I GAVE AWAY THE SECRET PLAN!!

July 7, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  12. EDW

People are forgetting that Bush was strongly against the new GI Bill and McCain was against it as well. Now they are both trying to take credit for it. McCain had bad judgement on the GI Bill, the Iraq war, and the Keating deal.

July 7, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  13. The First Apostle

It's the second coming either way, Obama is our savior, he can get it done himself!!!!

July 7, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  14. Kathy

Webb clearly is not a big FAN of Obama.

I bet the more Omaba panders to the right - and changes his positions - he's losing support among Dems.

Obama has made this race all about HIMSELF. I can understand why so many have declined the VP spot. They can smell a LOSER.

July 7, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  15. larry mn

Smart man opting to not support obama, I believe we will se a lot of "NO THANKS I"M NOT INTERESTED" Maybe he could get his wife to run as his VP, then he wouldn't have to campaign himself.

July 7, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  16. Jonas

Obama will pick somebody totally unexpected anyway 🙂

July 7, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  17. Noah

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

July 7, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  18. No Clinton VP, CA

O I wanted Webb or VP. Now Who? Anyone but Clilnton!! No & Never to Clinton.

July 7, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  19. What if?

Sounds like another Senator (Sen. Jim Webb's) who wants to impress the voters early while in the Senate seat by making himself news to use for future bragging rights when decide to run for Commander and Chief.....

To my fellow bloggers, Haters supporters of Obama, McCain, Bush and the Clintons are all the same, including you, we all have contributed to acting prejudice, hateful and mean. Just thought I would stop the finger pointing that constantly want to point to one set of candidates voters……

July 7, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  20. Dave in Houston

Nooooooooo!!!

Jim Webb was my first choice as Obama's running mate. He's probably right, though. Unless he is able to run a Dick Cheney-style secret fourth branch of government from the VP's office, he is probably most useful in the Senate.

Back to the drawing board.

July 7, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  21. Lynn

I like Senator Webb. He is smart and has alot of experience. He would be good on the war issues. I believe he was Secretary of the Navy I guess he knows a loser when he sees one. How many has Obama marked off of his list who do not want the job. I haven't kept count, but it seems like a lot.

July 7, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  22. Independent-Minded American

Fine, but why did he find it necessary to announce this? Shouldn't it be a "behind closed doors" conversation?
    Bad move, Sen. Webb... Besides, this is a bit presumptions, don't you think? Who made him so sure he was being seriously considered beside the media?

July 7, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  23. joe

I really don't care who number 2 is, because number 1 is good enough. McCain embodies the past and Obama embodies the future. It's time to vote for the future and disregard the past (big oil, no new energy, no peace talks, nothing that young people care about...) because our future on this planet is at risk if we let conservative minds decide the young generations future.

July 7, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  24. Allen from Hartwell, GA

Although I respect Jim's wishes and know that he will do a fantastic job representing the fine folks of Virginia, I'd loved to seen what the GOP political machine would have done about him and his military record.

July 7, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  25. amw

IF WE CANNOT HAVE SENATOR CLINTON AS THE PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE, NOR THE VP PICK, I CERTAINLY WAS HOPING JIM WEBB WOULD TAKE THE OFFER. BUT, HE MUST SERVE HIS CONSTITUANCY WHERE HE FEELS MOST EFFECTIVE, GOOD FOR HIM FOR HIS LOYALTY TO HIS VIRGINIANS. HE IS ADMIRED AND RESPECTED.

July 7, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |