July 8th, 2008

Webb says no to being VP

Webb says he does not want to be asked to be the No.2.

Webb says he does not want to be asked to be the No.2.

(CNN) - You can officially scratch off Sen. Jim Webb's name from the list of Barack Obama's potential running mates.

The freshmen senator from Virginia and onetime Republican said unequivocally Monday he does not want to be the Illinois senator's No. 2.

Watch: How to get on the VP shortlist

"Last week I communicated to Senator Obama and his presidential campaign my firm intention to remain in the United States Senate, where I believe I am best equipped to serve the people of Virginia and this country," Webb said in an issued statement. “Under no circumstances will I be a candidate for Vice President."

Webb, a moderate Democrat and Vietnam veteran who successfully unseated former Virginia Sen. George Allen in 2006, has often been mentioned as a potential VP choice given his likely appeal in more conservative states, his early opposition to the Iraq war, and his credibility with military issues.

Election Center: Who's on the VP shortlists?

The Virginia senator also co-sponsored the Senate G.I. benefits bill passed this spring that seeks to increase tuition reimbursements for veterans. Despite an initial veto threat, President Bush signed the bill into law last week.

"I entered elective politics because of my commitment to strengthen America's national security posture, to promote economic fairness, and to increase government accountability," Webb also said. "I have worked hard to deliver upon that commitment, and I am convinced that my efforts and talents toward those ends are best served in the Senate."

Webb did not endorse a Democratic candidate during the primary season. Fellow Virginians Tim Kaine, the state’s governor, and Mark Warner, a former governor who is currently running for Senate, were also considered to be on in contention for the VP slot. Warner also took himself out of the running last month.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Jim Webb
  1. Jacob Liebman

you need HILARY IF YOU HAVE ANY CHANCE OF WINNING

July 7, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  2. @HusseinIsAmerican2

Webb is a first term senator as Obama; so it would not make sense to pick him as veepee anywayz!

no news here CNN!

July 7, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  3. Knoxville, Operation: NObama

JIm Webb must do what he feels is best for the good people of Virginia and I respect that. I know that Senator Obama will do the right thing and pick a very capable VP candidate. Obama always uses great judgement and can be trusted to select the best individual for the jog. God bless Senator Obama and America.

Obama '08

July 7, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  4. DAREN IN MIAMI

no one wanted him as VP!!!! He had some controversial remarks that he needed to clear up!!

Obama 08

July 7, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  5. Abby

WOW – another SMART guy who will not endorse this FRAUD obama.

Obama is NOT qualified to lead our country and will NEVER be elected. The DNC picked the WRONG guy.

McCain – good 2nd Choice.

July 7, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  6. NObama

No one who has a serious chance of a long political career wants to join this ticket. They see two alternatives, a losing ticket or a disasterous administration.

Obamabots are just too naive to realize this.

July 7, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  7. Tom

Like rats on a sinking ship...

"He has my support because I was told to support him by the leaders of my party, but I'm not that stupid to join him in destroying the country..." – Webb

Nader 08'

July 7, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  8. Mike, IN

Webb wasn't his best choice anyway. Obama needs to pick Biden or Nunn. Really though, no matter who he picks he's gonna beat McSame pretty badly.

July 7, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  9. Mary

Senator Webb knows that Senator Obama's positions are more socialist than moderate democratic. Senator Obama has flip-flopped so much, it is hard to keep up with his latest positions. He should have studied all issues from top to bottom, made his position known and stayed with it. He can not be trusted.

July 7, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  10. andrea

He never even endorsed BHO.

July 7, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  11. Nick - Arlington, VA

That's unfortunate...but he was my second choice...second to Joe Biden....

July 7, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  12. Tom

Clinton will not be VP, get over it now... Obama might as well lose his 20 points now so he can work on getting them back by pandering to Hillary supporters

July 7, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  13. ProundToBeDemocrat

I am with you gluv Obama is going to pick Sebilius as his V.P. she is pretty,smart,woman Gov. of swing state she has a lot in common with Obama so Sebilius for VP.

July 7, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  14. Hillary supporter MA

Good for you Senator Webb!! You don't need to be on that list neither is HRC. Let this ship sink without you. How about Rev. Wright for VP?? or Oprah?? BTW how many buses are coming planning to send to Denver to fill that stadium???

July 7, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  15. Jay in Texas

It's good to finally see a U.S. senator who knows that his responsibility is to earn his pay serving his constituents rather than ignoring the crisis facing us and running around the country trying to get elected to a higher office. Senators McCain, Obama, and Clinton should have followed his example.
    Brownwood, Texas

July 7, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  16. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Whatever Webbs future endeavors may be he will gain overwhelming support. Sen. Webb is man of respect and valor.

July 7, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  17. Debby

Wow his VP's selects are dropping like flies with a flat NO. I wonder if asked if Hillary would do a 180 to.

July 7, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  18. Marcus B

GOOD NEWS! More room for Sebelius!!!

OBAMA/SEBELIUS 2008-2016

July 7, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  19. Knoxville, Operation: NObama

I know many of my fellow Obama supporters think that Jim Webb would have made a good VP candidate, but I think that Obama actually needs to balance off the ticket with someone with alot more experience than Webb. I like Webb too, but just not as a VP choice. He has less Senate experience than Obama. I know many will make a bigger deal of this than they should, but its the right thing for Webb and it makes sense to exclude him from the list. God bless Obama and America.

Obama '08

July 7, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  20. Orwin

Obama won't count with serious people; these know he is too young to run America. Work a little harder and more, Mr Obama, and you may have a chance in 2012

July 7, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  21. OBAMA 08!!!

I don’t understand why it is necessary to put out a written statement saying you are not interested in being the VP. These people just want attention that is all. I didn’t hear Obama publicly offer anyone the VP position so why must they publicly refuse something that was not offered to them in the first place? I think they should go take some humble pie and sit down. It should be an honor to be on the suspected media list being put out but by no means does that mean you are on Obamas list. Just leave it at that and let the chips fall where they may. Obama will choose the best person for him and us voters I am sure in due time we will all know who that person is but until then the stupid speculation is just that stupid.

July 7, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  22. NO OBAMBI, Ohio

GOOD DECISION WEBB! NO ONE WANTS THAT SLOT. I BEAT EVERYONE ON THAT VP LIST IS HOPING NOT TO GET A CALL. UNLESS THEY WANNA BE RUNNING MATES WITH ONE OF THE MOST LIBERAL, MARXIST, RADICAL, UNQUALIFIED, ARROGANT, NIEVE BS'ERS IN HISTORY. BEING ON THAT LIST IS LIKE THE BLACK PLAUGE LINGERING OUTSIDE!

PUMA BABY! MCCAIN 08! HILLARY 2012!

July 7, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  23. Obama/Hillary 08

G8 world power # 1 with a struggling economy because of our republicans friends. We need to vote change to change this mess with our economy. Vote democratic this November if you want to leave the American dream which is have a job, be able to pay for education, and have a home to live in.

July 7, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  24. Linda of Atlanta

I think Jim Webb should stay in the Senate. We have a lot of work to do to right the wrongs that have been done to our military men and women. They have been dishonorably discharged because of Traumatic Brain Injury they sustained while in Iraq and Afghanistan. We need Jim Webb to continue his efforts to get justice for our soldiers. What has been done to them is a national disgrace and I think Jim Webb is sincere in his efforts to lead the charge to correct the way service people are treated. Kudos to Senator Webb.

July 7, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  25. Obama/Sinclair

Another potential Obama VP bites the dust!

July 7, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |