July 8th, 2008

Webb says no to being VP

Webb says he does not want to be asked to be the No.2.

Webb says he does not want to be asked to be the No.2.

(CNN) - You can officially scratch off Sen. Jim Webb's name from the list of Barack Obama's potential running mates.

The freshmen senator from Virginia and onetime Republican said unequivocally Monday he does not want to be the Illinois senator's No. 2.

Watch: How to get on the VP shortlist

"Last week I communicated to Senator Obama and his presidential campaign my firm intention to remain in the United States Senate, where I believe I am best equipped to serve the people of Virginia and this country," Webb said in an issued statement. “Under no circumstances will I be a candidate for Vice President."

Webb, a moderate Democrat and Vietnam veteran who successfully unseated former Virginia Sen. George Allen in 2006, has often been mentioned as a potential VP choice given his likely appeal in more conservative states, his early opposition to the Iraq war, and his credibility with military issues.

Election Center: Who's on the VP shortlists?

The Virginia senator also co-sponsored the Senate G.I. benefits bill passed this spring that seeks to increase tuition reimbursements for veterans. Despite an initial veto threat, President Bush signed the bill into law last week.

"I entered elective politics because of my commitment to strengthen America's national security posture, to promote economic fairness, and to increase government accountability," Webb also said. "I have worked hard to deliver upon that commitment, and I am convinced that my efforts and talents toward those ends are best served in the Senate."

Webb did not endorse a Democratic candidate during the primary season. Fellow Virginians Tim Kaine, the state’s governor, and Mark Warner, a former governor who is currently running for Senate, were also considered to be on in contention for the VP slot. Warner also took himself out of the running last month.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Jim Webb
  1. ANGIE

whats the big no new news he said before he didnt want it i think obama should pick sebilius i watched her on cspan i love her i think shes the right choice shes alot better than hillary

July 7, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  2. Rob

maybe not..Edwards said no–then changed his mind..

July 7, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  3. David in Chicago

I can feel it. Change is in the air...

Obama

July 7, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  4. Kelby from Houston, TX

Hillary Clinton is a natural choice for VP. I have always said this. this move will most certainly unite the party and those bitter hateful spiteful Hillary supporters back to the Democrat tent. I am mad at those people for bein so petty. But there votes are needed in order to crush McCain. HE MUST BE DEFEATED!
    The DNC really needs to concentrate on getting more seats in The Senate.
    THE PRESIDENCY + THE SENATE (IN '08) = DEMOCRATIC RULE.
    America had given total control of this country to the GOP with really crappy results.
    Let's see how the people in blue do it.

July 7, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  5. The Patriot

Substance over Hype.

McCain '08

July 7, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  6. Joe Reg

Not too many people are willing to put themselves under the constant scrutiny of the world for the opportunity to serve valantly.

I salute Obama for puting it all on the line and doing a fine job to get America back on track from the mess the Bush repubs left us.

Go Obama go!

Obama 08 & 12.

July 7, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  7. richard

If it is normal procedure for possible candidates for VP to say they are not interrested, why is it a story?

If any of these people who claim they are not interrested were to be asked to be VP, each of them would accept. That's how it works.

July 7, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  8. Patrick Henry, Fort Myers

Great response.
    You don't want to ruin your career by supporting or being a part of the first socialist experiment in our nations history.

Doubt me?

Print the 2008 agenda from the Democratic Socialist Party website...then compare line by line with the Democratic Party agenda–with the exception of some inflammtory rhetoric–they could be carbon copies.

Hail to Marx Obama!! As if things aren't bad enough already–now we're electing a leader who is a proponent of an ideology that has already failed in the history books. Great job America.

July 7, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  9. Kelby from Houston, TX

July 7, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  10. Calvin "Hussien" Coolidge

It is looney for anyone to suggest that Webb took his name off the list this far into the vetting process.

This, for whatever reason, was a decision by the campaign which was discussed jointly between the two men in question.

Selebius is looking stronger.

July 7, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  11. No Clinton ..No Obama!

If no Clinton as VP, then NO to Obama in November!

July 7, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  12. Webb For VP

Too bad. He'd make a great VP. Sure wish both Obama & McCain had chosen to continue being senators. What a depressing election season? Except that Obama might be the first black president. That's the one thing this season has going for it. Well, and the possibility of seeing the end of the Bushocracy.

July 7, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  13. Ryuken

What does Obama not understand – he needs to pick Hillary, otherwise I vote for McCain – Go ahead, try me!

July 7, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  14. VP ?

HOW ABOUT ........SENATOR BIDEN?

July 7, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  15. Ian M

I don't buy it.

July 7, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  16. Former OBAMA Supporter

ROLL CALL IN DENVER!!!!!

SENATOR HILLARY CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT 2008!

ONE OF 18 MILLION!

July 7, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  17. VADemforVP08

Noooooooo! I would have loved that. He's precisely what Obama is going to need as VeeP – a white, male, Southern Democrat with a military record and moderate track record.

I'm still crossing my fingers for Mark Warner or Tim Kaine.

July 7, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  18. Wayne

Does Jim Webb understand how refusing the job before even being ask is a big insult to Senator Obama?

July 7, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  19. James, Redlands, CA

Nonissue. People are still going to be voting for Obama not the VP. Good luck in the Senate Mr. Webb.

July 7, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  20. L VA

Good for you Senator Webb! Please don't hitch your rising star to BHO's flip-flopping, policy-stealing, hopeless, campaign! He doesn't deserve you.

July 7, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  21. Kevin

Jim Webb is too much of a freelancer. A good DEmocrat, but he can't be controlled. Obama needs a blockbuster VP. Like a Republican on the fence. That's reachin across party lines. Colin Powell???? Why not. Sure he had a huge role in starting this war, but he opposed it from the start, and was played like a fiddle by the BUSH SADMINISTRATION. I like it.

July 7, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  22. joe

CNN, grow up and post every comment and stop being so selective. Free Speech!!! Moderation is for the weak. If you can't handle words don't read them. And if you post this and not my earlier comment that is just PATHETIC that you don't care about what I really had to say. Need viewers, huh????

July 7, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  23. "Fast Eddie" Obama

Scratch Strickland (OH) and Webb (VA) from VP list.

Why Obama is having hard time putting "A" grade candidates on VP list?

My prediction is they will pick Senator Kerry as his VP choice.

July 7, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  24. David in Chicago

"Jeff Long July 7th, 2008 3:55 pm ET

I wish Obama could have been more like you Senator Webb.."

For the first time in my life I'm involved in politics. I'm 28 years old. The deeper I get into it, the more whacko's I'm running across. People who are so dedicated in their deconstruction of a politician it reaches the point of lunacy. Here we see Jeff Long who speaks as though he's actually talking to Senator Webb. I've just seen people so... wow.. just BOOM crazy lol. People who TYPE IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS. Some of those "Clinton For McCain" folks look so angry.. just.. so so angry. I see what happens when people just go too far with something. It makes them look... out of control and blinded with rage. I like the people who say stuff like "At the unity speech, I could see in Clinton's eyes that she was VERY VERY unhappy and faking her unity with Obama". Who are you to say what someone is thinking/feeling based on their eyes? Clinton doesn't do anything she doesn't want to. The whole world was telling her to stop campaigning and still.. nope she kept going.

I dunno.. I'm logical and I try to keep my emotions out of this stuff. Yea, I get excited but not like some of the stuff I read. Makes me sick reading how crazy people get. So weird. Is this reality?

July 7, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  25. sarah

another democrat running away from the hot air vendor named obama. it's about time they all came to their senses.

July 7, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |