[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/09/art.ventura.gi.jpg caption="Ventura said Wednesday he would reveal his campaign plans early next week."]
(CNN) - Former Minnesota Governor Jesse “The Body” Ventura – who has been hinting broadly for months of a possible U.S. Senate run – denied a report Wednesday that he had announced his intention to enter the race, telling the Associated Press he had been speaking hypothetically, and will reveal his plans Tuesday.
A Ventura campaign would set up a three-way brawl featuring the former professional wrestler, Democrat and former Saturday Night Live star Al Franken and incumbent Republican Senator Norm Coleman, who Ventura defeated in Minnesota’s 1998 gubernatorial race.
In an NPR interview airing Wednesday, Ventura denied charges he would only be campaigning to promote his latest book, which was released earlier this year. The former governor, born Jim Janos, told NPR Coleman’s support for the war in Iraq was a driving factor in his motivation to enter the race. "That's the reason I run, not to sell books," he said. "I run because it angers me...
“And all you Minnesotans take a good hard look at all three of us. And you decide: if you were in a dark alley which one of the three of us would you want with you?” But he told the Associated Press Wednesday he had not yet made a decision.
Ventura served a single, tumultuous term as governor, and did not make a second run for the office. He has not yet made any formal moves to enter this year’s Senate race in advance of Tuesday’s filing deadline.