July 11th, 2008

Wolfson says Clinton not being formally vetted for VP

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/11/art.ticket.gi.jpg caption="A former Clinton adviser says Obama is not formally vetting the New York senator."]

(CNN) - Is the so-called Democratic 'dream ticket' off the table?

Despite speculation that Barack Obama's presidential campaign is seriously considering Hillary Clinton for the No. 2 spot on the Democratic presidential ticket, a former senior advisor to Clinton said Thursday he doesn't think the New York senator is being formally considered for the job.

Howard Wolfson, the former Clinton campaign communications director, told Fox News Thursday he isn't aware of any official effort on behalf of the Obama campaign that suggests the Illinois senator is considering his former rival for his running mate.

"Not as far as I know," Wolfson said when asked if Clinton had been "asked to participate in the vetting process for VP."

Veepstakes! Predict the running mates

But the longtime Clinton confidante quickly added there is more information available in the public record about the former presidential candidate "than just about any public figure in America."

"She's been vetted now for a long time - she's got thirty years of taxes in the public record and financial disclosure forms. She ran for president for 18 months and every news organization in America had multiple teams of reporters look at all aspects at her career and her biography," he said. "So there's a lot of information out about her that I know Senator Obama is privy too, that may be sufficient for him to make whatever decision he wants to make."

iReport.com: Whom do you see as VP?

The comments come amid reports the Obama campaign has asked other public officials to hand over information about themselves as part of a formal vice presidential vetting process, including former presidential candidate Chris Dodd.

The five-term Connecticut senator said Thursday that he has been asked to provide "a lot of stuff."

“There’s been some inquiries, yeah,” he told the Associated Press. “They ask for a lot of stuff. I’ll leave it there." The Obama campaign and Dodd’s Senate office have yet to comment on the report, though the Republican National Committee has already leveled attacks on Obama for considering the Connecticut senator, in light of accusations he received preferred loans from Countrywide Financial – the same attack that led to the resignation of the original head of the Illinois senator’s vice presidential search team.

The Obama campaign also reportedly approached Virginia Sen. Jim Webb about the job, followed by an announcement from the freshman senator that he had officially taken himself out of the running.

Other potential candidates for the position are remaining far more circumspect about their interaction with the Obama campaign.

"The decision and timetable for the best person to help Sen. Obama lead the country is entirely up to him. All of us who support Sen. Obama have been asked to direct questions about his choice for vice president to the campaign," Kathleen Sebelius, the popular Kansas governor said in a Thursday statement.

"I'm not going to talk about it," longtime Obama supporter and freshman Missouri senator Claire McCaskill said Wednesday.

UPDATE: Adam Parkhomenko, the founder of Voteboth.com, said Friday it's time Clinton is asked directly if she is being vetted for VP.

"It's time to ask Hillary if she is being vetted. It's not responsible to assume she is not being vetted because a former campaign adviser said he does not know," he said.

1. Michigan voter

Well Howard I hope you are right that she isn't being considered. I'm a female voter that has been turned off by the way Hillary has behaved in the campaining process. She and her husband have become a problem for the democrates by their elitistist attitudes. They both just need to go away.........

July 11, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  2. Buddy

WHAT??? Barrack InSane Obama!!!

July 11, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  3. Connie

Please CNN why would you even give voice to Howard Wolfson, no one cared about what he had to say when he was running Senator Clinton's campaign and now that he is on Fox we know why she lost. Why would you think that Senator Obama's camp would tell him anything.Obama and his people are smarter than that. Barack hussein Obama 08

Connie"Hussein"Sturgeon from Indiana

July 11, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  4. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

Why should he have to vet her? It's been done. Now he just needs to evaluate the pros and cons that she brings compared to other potential candidates.

July 11, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  5. abby

Now that his on Fox, Wolfson has no credibility what so ever.

--------------------------------
    It’s the Supreme Court, Stupid!

July 11, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  6. Ted

Good!
    Obama/Edwards 08!

July 11, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  7. MI for Clinton

I am one of the 18 million who went out and voted for the best candiate for the Presidency.....Sen, Hillary Rodham Clinton

.....and if obama fails to ask Clinton to join his ticket: I will be voting for Mccain, or not going to the polls in November- end of story.

Obama/Clinton 08, 12

July 11, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  8. Jan From Boca Raton, Fl

Whi in the world would Sen. Clinton want to be VP for OBAMA???

She certainly would not want to be tied to a man that is going to FAIL.

Obama will be worse that the last 8 years with Bush.

Hillary should run as an Independant if only to take away voted from
    Obama to make sure McCain wins.

July 11, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  9. Jamaal Oakland, CA

When the time is right Obama will announce his VP pick simple as that and i will support his decision

July 11, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  10. Linda

Obama's a fool...is there any way we can stage a mutiny at the convention?

July 11, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  11. luis

That right there show you how united the democrats are... HRC has a strong committed followers, she is known, resources. is stupid not to consider her.

July 11, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  12. Former Hilary supporter

Good, This means he can't win.

July 11, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  13. Godwin Abah (Port Harcourt, Nigeria)

In my own opinion, I think Senator Barack Obama will be a very good President for the United States of America if Elected, because, I have followed and watched very closely the Illinois Senator right from the begining of the Democratic primary to date, he also has age on his side, he is a community developer and a lot more to say.

July 11, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  14. Terrance Miller in Atlanta

Well sorry Puma .She is just not fit for number 2. We have tried to unite America,but she doesn't seem to want to. I wonder Why.

America 08'

She is not on the ticket ,But he can change our state of dissaray.

We are America !

We used to be a democratic republic.

Now we are a fascist Dictatorship. Lets Get our country back.

July 11, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  15. Saad from NJ

I started reading this story so keenly and curiously till I read Howard Wolfson told "Fox News"...... why did you have to ruin it for me CNN?? Why mention Fox News? Now all my interest is gone and I am so sad......

I don't care anymore whether Clinton is the VP or not! I so very much wanted her to be, I gave her money, I am an Obama supporter and I wanted the two together for the sake of my country and our future generations. But you ruined my interest. I love you CNN but WHY did you do that to me and that too on a Friday??????

July 11, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  16. Derrick

So?

July 11, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  17. Tony

When Obama loses, I hope he remembers this STUPID MISTAKE and doesn't go around boo-hooing about it.

July 11, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  18. michelle

No Hillary for VP, No vote for Obama. Plain and Simple.

Half PUMA,
    A loyal Hillary supporter

July 11, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  19. AJ

there was NEVER a chance of this–how could there be? two immature, radical leftists? just in the minds of white and male guilt elites was this ever a possibility

July 11, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  20. Ted R. from NYC

This should not come as a surprise to anyone. Hillary is not, and should not be, a candidate for VP. She brings far more negatives than positives for Obama. Not only would he have to watch his back (she still cannot be trusted), but he would also have to deal with a ubiquitous Bill Clinton, who can also do a lot of damage, as we've seen in the past.

July 11, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  21. Godwin Abah (Port Harcourt, Nigeria)

In my own opinion, I think Senator Barack Obama will be a very good President for the United States of America if Elected, because, I have followed and watched very closely the Illinois Senator right from the begining of the Democratic primary to date, he also has age on his side, he is a community developer and a lot more to say about him.

July 11, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  22. Dave

No Hillary, No Obama!

July 11, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  23. BHO Not my candidate

Dont give Obama another dime, hes going to waste it with Edwards flying gas buring jets to Paris

July 11, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  24. John Pittsburgh

Cnn's daily attempt to stir up trouble.

July 11, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  25. Dana

It doesn't help when her husband has not disclosed the donors of his library money. Who cares about Hillary–we don't want her as the VP anyway. And I know you Barack haters can't wait to jump on and say you will vote for McCain–well do it.

News Flash:
    We don't care, at least we won't be responsible for you tanking the country, and making everyone else pay for $10.00 gas. John McSame, the man who's economic brain said Americans are a bunch of whiners.

O/08