[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/12/art.huckabee.gi.jpg caption="Huckabee dropped out of the White House race in March."]
(CNN) - Former Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee said Saturday he's not formally being vetted for the No. 2 spot on John McCain's presidential ticket.
The former Arkansas governor, whose insurgent candidacy won the hearts of social conservatives and shook up the Republican presidential primary race, told Radio Iowa the McCain campaign has yet to ask him for any information pertaining to its VP vetting process.
"If you're asking me have I had an official contact from the McCain campaign, no I have not. In all candor, no," he told the radio station. "No one has said, 'Hey, I need your tax form.'
But Huckabee noted he's already been through a vetting process of sorts: "I mean I think if a person has been a candidate, they have already been scrutinized - most everything they want or need to know is in some public record somewhere."
Still, the Arkansas Republican, who now serves as a political commentator for Fox News, said he doesn't expect to be offered the job.
"I'm not sitting around waiting on the phone to ring and right now - it would really mess up a lot of things I have going," he said.
Huckabee's shoestring presidential campaign came to an end in early March, after the former governor won eight states - mostly in the South - and amassed 278 delegates. His resounding win in Iowa is largely credited with derailing former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney’s presidential hopes.
Earlier this week, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty - widely believed to be on McCain's VP shortlist - also said he had yet to hand over any information to the Arizona senator's campaign.