July 22nd, 2008

Obama lands in Israel

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/22/art.obamaisrael.ap.jpg caption="Obama is now in Israel."](CNN) - Barack Obama landed in Israel Tuesday evening, telling members of the media one of his goals was to reaffirm the United States' "special relationship" with the country.

"The most important idea for me to reaffirm is the historic, special relationship between the United States and Israel," Obama said at Ben Gurion airport. "One that cannot be broken, one that I have affirmed through out my career, and one that I would intend to not only continue but actually strengthen in an Obama administration.

Obama also expressed sadness over an attack in downtown Jerusalem earlier Tuesday that injured five people. A Palestinian man rammed a construction vehicle into cars and buses before he was shot and killed near the hotel where Obama is scheduled to stay.

“It's just one more reminder of why we have to work diligently, urgently, and in a unified way to defeat terrorism," he said. "There are no excuses, and I am absolutely committed to working with the Israeli government to make sure these kinds of occurrences do not happen and my thoughts and prayers go out to the families that have suffered as a consequence of today's vicious attacks."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Phil Newton Murphy, Oregon

He says what nmeans and he means what he says.

Refreshing.

July 22, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  2. Lisa

Cevans, tx – You may think Obama is a Brilliant Gentleman but I don't.

WB, PSL – Obama was scared to debate Hillary, claimed he debated her 22 times and that was enough. Where I was raised, if you are running to become the President of the United States it shouldn't matter how many times you debate, who's counting.

Emma, San Jose, CA – I can say whatever I want this is a free country. I'm debating about how inexperience Obama is and i'm shocked people like you can see past his used car salesmen techinques.

Nikole – I'm can't wait for the debate between Mccain and Obama this will be very interesting.

July 22, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  3. Larry

LOL, so McCain can't pay someone to campaign for him. That story is so funny. He's as about as exciting as a doorknob.

Obama 08

July 22, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  4. Renaulle

Barack will be just fine without Hillary, and I think better. At least he won't have to watch his back. Besides, she's more than occupied trying to raise money to pay her bills.

Obama 08

July 22, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  5. Travis (in the real world

He looks SOOOOOO PRESIDENTIAL

July 22, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  6. TangoDancer

Obama is the man of the century – at least this first quarter of it. This is too big for most simple American folk to figure out. I like McCain, but listening to him speak, those silly mistakes about geography, etc... he is just not qualified to be a president. I can't imagine that he'd even win another term in the senate in homestate AZ. His time is over. To compensate for their weak candidate the republican war machine is gearing up, taking aim, firing salvos at best hitting near-misses. Keep spending that money on advertising. It's amusing to watch it being critiqued on the Daily Show. The race can no longer be described as competitive. Even my redneck state of Ohio is going to be in blue column in November.

July 22, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  7. Sam

Can the most ardent McCain supporters IMAGINE world leaders relating this way to McCain? No.

July 22, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  8. JD

WOW! I just heard from an extremely reliable source that, Mr. Obama, while he was in Israel no less, breathed in, AND THEN *gasp* he breathed out!! And he does that all the time! Isn't he just dreamy and super-qualified to be President??????

July 22, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  9. smitty

BUSH for VP!!!

July 22, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  10. RB TX

LIARRRRRRRRR

July 22, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  11. OLD MAN MCCAIN

Let the old man have his "surge". The real surge will be in November, when Americans surge to vote for President Obama. I can't wait.

July 22, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  12. What if?

To those of you who say that Obama is acting as if he is the President already. YOU NEED TO THANK McSame, he bullied, poked and accused Obama of not having visited these countries for years, now that he is being excepted more then McSame during his visits, all you all want to do is complain.

Now that Obama has shown mcsame to be the one that's the empty suit, white shirts and jeans and a flip flopping old man.

Obama has proven he has what it takes to be a leader. Get over it haters, he is what he is.....a leader.

July 22, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  13. Ardnuas

You make us very PROUD to be Americans..... Now, we can start to rebuild our reputation around the world.

July 22, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  14. Maria Ferreira

Hey Truth,religion is one thing and a personnal relationship with God is another.
    Obviously there is no Truth in You.Jesus is TRUTH!
    As for me I'm praying for Barack Obama .I've already annointed him with oil on my TV set to be the next President of U.S.A in the Name of My Lord Jesus.

July 22, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  15. wait one second here

miketx...boy you sure are stupid, but i respect your right to be stupid.

Obama rocks, he is not a God or Messiah but he will make a great President

July 22, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  16. Earl

Now McWar......are you counting the days Obama hasn't been to Iraq?

Or counting the days til he comes home and makes you look like a fool even more?

July 22, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  17. Sick PERSON on BOARD!!!!

Lisa-- Lisa Now this is too much!!
    Lisa- This is why people think Obama walks on water, the media make him out to be some kind of God when he's not. He's just the average man from Chicago with no experience sliding his way through the process without debating
    To LISA You are beyond REPAIR.......You need to JOIN the McCain STAFF

July 22, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  18. Julien_French man from Paris

Barack Hussein Obama

When are you coming in Europe ?, you will be welcome:
    _ like a king
    _ much better than some part of your own country.

Barack we know that you have a brain not like some in the GOP

Julien

July 22, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  19. Jamie, WA

The Hillary cats are out. They just will not get over the fact that she was a selfish, lying, self-centered woman who only cared about herself.

That is why she is scrambling now to raise money for a campaign that she knew she couldn't win. But what did she care, she'd just run up the tab, and get the money from her supporters. Remember when she said "I'm just getting started, I'm having fun". Well I would like to ask since she's 25.2 million in the hole, "Are you having fun now?"

Barack didn't attack her as hard because she was a woman, and she used this to try and defeat him. It didn't work and we sent her packing. She just didn't know the resolve of Barack supporters. For all those waiting for the Hillary to return in 2012, we'll be back.

July 22, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  20. Nick, Rochester, NY

Does Obama stand by the notion of a united Jerusalem as the capital of Israel as a Jewish state or not? I am not jewish, but I want to know if Obama will stand by his word.

July 22, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  21. Gwen, NH

When you become our president, please don't invite Hillary back to the White House. She'll steal some more china and blame it on you.

Obama 08

July 22, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  22. Bill

I love the comments that Obama doesn't speak for the US!

Have you all forgotten? Obama is a US SENATOR, and as such has as much right to speak for the US as SENATOR McCain?!?

How about complaining when you have something solid to complain about, instead of just complaining to read your posts later? "THIS IS TOO MUCH" Lisa? What is your problem? How about actually posting your issue in a mature manner... that way we might be able to discuss it with you. I can't really discuss "This is too much" with you....

July 22, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  23. shinobi

Who cares what Obozo the clown does / goes.

It will all go boil down to the 20+ years of Obama with his racist/anti-American mentor Rev Wright (+ many more).

Why is this important? = This is his ONLY EXPERIENCE, shows his lack of character and lack of proper judgment to lead.

All of his speeches are just keywords based on polls read off a teleprompter. You sheep that support him here are either idiots, blind, or paid staff.

July 22, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  24. Gwen, NH

McCain is a coward. He didn't attack Barack as much when he was in town to defend himself. Now that he's overseas where he knows Barack won't attack him on foreign soil, he's doing a Negative Barack Blitz.

Just one more reason he will never get my vote.

Obama 08

July 22, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  25. tony

I have put a ton of remarks as a Conservative and have not had 25% of them posted-
    Well in the chance they will-
    This whole trip is like going to school for Obama-
    He's already made up his mind so this is purely political-Anyone with a half a brain can see that-
    He cares no more for Israel security than he cares for anyone elses-
    This country was founded on Christian beliefs and the only reason this country will ever go in decline is because we abandon them-
    Every blog has 90% McCain Haters-
    This man is a war hero–
    What have you ( Dems ) done except want us to run and hide-
    Watch out–there will be a surprise about the Rev. Wright ( Obama People)
    20 Years and he couldn'r figure out this guy was a America Hater-
    Meanwhile–THe good rev. lives in a Multi Million Dollar home in a upscale neighbor living off of the fools who listen to him-Including Obama-
    He is so underqualified it is ridiculous–
    We fought for our freedom over 200 Years ago and helping others is where it is at-
    Remember where you came from-if you can remember that far–
    Enough said-