July 22nd, 2008

Obama lands in Israel

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/22/art.obamaisrael.ap.jpg caption="Obama is now in Israel."](CNN) - Barack Obama landed in Israel Tuesday evening, telling members of the media one of his goals was to reaffirm the United States' "special relationship" with the country.

"The most important idea for me to reaffirm is the historic, special relationship between the United States and Israel," Obama said at Ben Gurion airport. "One that cannot be broken, one that I have affirmed through out my career, and one that I would intend to not only continue but actually strengthen in an Obama administration.

Obama also expressed sadness over an attack in downtown Jerusalem earlier Tuesday that injured five people. A Palestinian man rammed a construction vehicle into cars and buses before he was shot and killed near the hotel where Obama is scheduled to stay.

“It's just one more reminder of why we have to work diligently, urgently, and in a unified way to defeat terrorism," he said. "There are no excuses, and I am absolutely committed to working with the Israeli government to make sure these kinds of occurrences do not happen and my thoughts and prayers go out to the families that have suffered as a consequence of today's vicious attacks."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. southern trucker

Mcsame is mcidiot

July 22, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  2. Jean, MO

I hope Michelle will do a Vogue cover when she becomes the first lady and Barack will do GQ, when he becomes president.

Ahhh, I can't wait to see my new first family.

Obama 08

July 22, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  3. atl

July 22nd, 2008 5:29 pm ET

I hope he keeps his mouth shut. Every time he opens it we find out how ignorant he is to issues. This man is not qualified to be president.

Puma Power

Everytime he opens his mouth, Bush and McCain copy what he has said of is saying. How ignorant to you to issues.

July 22, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  4. Lesley

I'm an independent and I pick candidates based on what comes out of their mouths instead of how white their teeth are. I don't agree with everything he says, but Obama is well educated, well spoken, and diplomatic in his demeanor. He is forward thinking, has visions and plans for a new direction for the country, and is smart enough to implement them. The fact that he is attractive is just icing on the cake.

July 22, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  5. Gail

McSame is acting like the spoiled little kid nobody likes who didn't get invited to the party and stands outside the house telling anybody who'll listen how bad the party is – while secretly wishing with all his heart he was INSIDE the party.

Now doesn't that sound more lke it?

Obama can't help if he's a "Good Guy", just like McSame can't help he's an "Old Man"

July 22, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  6. tony

I agree-Ms White is more than pathetic–

July 22, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  7. OHIO

We Love You Obama!!! He is smart, intelligent and LOOKS GREAT ON THE WORLD STAGE!!!

July 22, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  8. Retired Veteran from New York City

Tejano: The land of our forefather will cease to exist:

I don't know what lant that you're talking about, Tejano, let me remind you that, this is the United States of America. This is not Mexico. I don't know what forefathers that you're talking about.

The land of Pancho Villa, is your land that will cease to exist if you all kept on swiming Rio Grande to cross to the desert to come to America. Talk for yourself, keep your ignorant thought for yourself.

Senator Obama is a well educated Man that happen to be black, if you have a problem with that, why don't you get yourself some education and come on chanllenging Senator Obama. If you are lacking the necessary education to chanlleng him, shut your mouth and let the educated people talk. Idiot!

July 22, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  9. Obama 08: white, 60 year old woman

Mike from Texas: Obama's campaign strated paying for his trip once he arrived in Jordan. His trips to Afghanistan, Iraq and Kuwait were paid by the taxpayer because they were Senate visits as were mcCain's eight visits.

McCain waxes on about the surge and his supporters wax on about supporters think Obama is the Messiah.....deperate and juvenile when the country is in such economic peril and foreign policy is non existant.

Finally, could someone please tell me why the so called media bias is Obama's fault. Perhaps if McCain actually started talking about his policies he would get some press.

July 22, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  10. Robert Sharp, New York, NY

I was just watching NBC Nightly News, and their coverage of Obama's world tour. I picked up on something that Obama said, and I believe it may be a first in the history of presidential candidate responses.

I am an Obama supporter and I wasn't sure if I should point this out, but I also thought it was a historical moment, and I wanted to share it.

He was in Oman Jordan fielding a question from a female journalist whom was asking about his conversation with General David Petraeus. He answered her question with this. "What I emphasized to him was: YO! If I was...If I were in his shoes."

Has a presidential candidate ever answered a question, and used the word YO?? I think it is not only hysterical, but also historical.

July 22, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  11. kayla

yes rick because your candiate mcsame looks and behaves like a stiff

July 22, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  12. JOHN

MCCAIN: THE MEDIA IS IN LOVE WITH OBAMA, WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

WHO WANTS TO PAY ATTENTION TO THIS OLD FART WHO WANTS TO INVADE IRAQ AND STAY IN IRAN 100 YEARS. OH I FORGOT THE HIGH GAS PRICES ARE OBAMA'S FAULT. LMAO.

July 22, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  13. Biffington, Biff

Griff...
    When I serviced Office Machine's, "Save my Stuff"… I have put so much work into this Machine… Borack Obama "Stuff", does not exist… John MCCain has so much valuable Information…. You lose that Memory, even if he is a little slow in the Process…. So decide???

dude..... WHAT THE .... are you TALKING about???

July 22, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  14. Mark, B'ham., Al.

Today Obama proved in his speech and questions, he had one thing in common with Bill Clinton. A Buck Private knows more about how to win a War than he does!

July 22, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  15. Elgin Webb

i think it is good for Obama and his foreign policy credentials by going to all of these overseas places. he is making progress while over there ansd this will really help his campaign in November. GO OBAMA!!!

July 22, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  16. John Frederick, Stevens Point, WI

While I appreciate Obama's sincerity, I hope he reconsiders his pledge to work on improving the Israeli-Palestinian situation "from the moment he takes office." We have enough to worry about in this country without trying to end a war on the other side of the world that's been going on for a thousand years and will go on for a thousand more. No matter what kind of resolution or compromise we give them, these people will find more reasons to kill each other. Let's get this country back on track before we worry about others.

July 22, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  17. paulie_nj

so let's take a quick look at this, Obama was against a surge in Iraq in March 2007 ( which is now working ) and now he wants to send a surge into Afghan territory, what sense does that make? How can he be against a surge in 2007 and then propose one in 2008, before he's even elected? He wont even own up to the fact the McCain on the surge was right.

July 22, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  18. Who Cares?

More photo ops? Does Obama still have the press locked out? Where's the story on David Gergen's comments regarding the Junior Senator's big mouth babble?

July 22, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  19. Mike in NYC

Philly Abe wrote:

" 'the Special Relationship' – Ya'll do whatever you want to whomever you want and we'll pay for it."

The relationship between Israel and the US is like the relationship between a mosquito and your blood supply.

Read what Dietrich wrote. I couldn't have put it better myself.

July 22, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  20. T.L.

Senator Obama's hypocritcal stance on our troops occupying such countries such as Iraq and Afghanistan is absolutely unexcuseable. He believes that terrorism must be stopped..how..by his speeches? As the Democratic nominee, whose original stance when debating with Clinton in numerous debates was that he would have all our troops out in 6mo. and now he claims by 2010. He continues to fabricate to the American people his authentic intentions. Also, he now states that the surge has worked....I thought he was against the war "from the beginning". He truly needs to start be honest with all of us and himself.

July 22, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  21. Paris

Where is United State’s Flag on your plane Mr. Obama?
    This man doesn't love this country, as simple as that.
    This man’s arrogance has no limit. You are not the president you are only a candidate.
    Stop middling with what is not your business.

This all shows the lack of judgment and competence.

July 22, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  22. Paris

We want debate.
    We want debate.
    We want debate.
    We want debate.

July 22, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  23. Moez

Such a breath of fresh air!

July 22, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  24. Jon

Obama is a dangerous man. He will destroy the world.

July 22, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  25. Sarah

It seems one has to be approved by Israel to become the American president...Are we independent country?
    Why both Obama and McCain seek Israeli support more than American support??
    Just curious