July 22nd, 2008

Vanity Fair out with New Yorker parody

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/22/art.vfcover.cnn.jpg caption="Vanity Fair is out with their own takeoff of the New Yorker cover"](CNN) - John McCain’s campaign complained Tuesday morning that the press wasn’t treating the presumptive Republican nominee like they had covered Democrat Barack Obama. Tuesday afternoon, they got an unexpected jolt of equal treatment: their own parody magazine cover, modeled on the controversial illustration that graced last week’s New Yorker.

Earlier: New Yorker editor defends cover

In the picture, which debuted on Vanity Fair’s Web site Tuesday afternoon, John McCain and wife Cindy are shown in the Oval Office giving each other daps, the fist-jab greeting that Barack and Michelle Obama traded on the cover of the New Yorker.

Other elements have been tweaked so the illustration – like the New Yorker cover – reflect stories and stereotypes the candidate and his wife would most like to leave behind. Cindy McCain isn’t clutching a machine gun – she’s cradling vials of pills. There’s no Muslim garb in sight, but the Arizona senator is leaning on a walker. The American flag isn’t burning in the fireplace; instead, the Constitution smolders.

In place of the portrait of Osama bin Laden in the original art, the liberal magazine has opted for a likeness of President Bush.

Watch: Obama responds to New Yorker cover

“We had our own presidential campaign cover in the works, which explored a different facet of the Politics of Fear, but we shelved it when The New Yorker’s became the ‘It Girl’ of the blogosphere,” wrote the editors, in a tongue-in-cheek statement posted on the magazine’s Web site. “Now, however, in a selfless act of solidarity with our downstairs neighbors here at the Condé Nast building, we’d like to share it with you. Confidentially, of course.”

But don’t go looking for the cover on a newsstand near you: it will remain a virtual production, posted on the Web site alone.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Bukky

While funny... this is not the same as the new york time. If you drew the wife like Marie Antionette saying let the eat cake and McCain in fatigues killing and innocent looking person or lying thru his dentures... then you may be close.

July 22, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  2. kelly WI

Has no punch..how childish.

July 22, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  3. Todd

Having had to endure Rush Limbaugh during my workout this morning, I was wondering if Doug in New Jersey didn't get his political affiliations mixed up.

July 22, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  4. brent

hahahaha how funny! even the oh so confused PUMA's may enjoy this

barack the vote people

July 22, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  5. TheTruthHurts

The age thing is problematic, but the pills were simply unnecessary. Difference is, no one on the left is claiming Cindy is an addict now. No one is saying John McCain needs a walker. We do point out that he's had some "senior moments" and forgets things he should remember.

I wonder who wins the elderly vote? Many older Americans I speak with are torn. They value McCain's experience, but many know from their own experience that advanced age has challenges that interfere with the intensity of the presidency. We'll see.

July 22, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  6. An American

Can we stop with dividing up people into two groups... Conservatives and Liberals? How about the American magazine?

I will not be divided, thank you!

July 22, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  7. Andy in Charlotte, NC

You should have shown Cindy standing on bundles of money and drinking a beer with her pills!

July 22, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  8. Travis (in the real world

Cindy looks so at home with the PILL BOTTLES in her hands.

Maybe the bottles are minus a couple I would guess.

July 22, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  9. Donna

This should be available for purchase...TRUTH HURTS doesn't it McOld?

July 22, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  10. Casey

I'd have put McCain in a crashed jet with a flag saying "I'll NEVER surrender" and Cindy all dressed up in riches with beer cans falling all around... THEN it might come closer to what the NewYorker did.

But then, at least there's some truth to THIS parody.

July 22, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  11. Peter

HA HA!

July 22, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  12. Michael

McCain is a tragedy for the Republican party. He is old, out of touch, not very smart, and lacks personality. He has been wrong about Iraq all this time and continues to press the current administration's agenda like it's the Bible. When will he realize that the current administartion has failed the people? When will he acknowledge that the American people want the occupation in Iraq to end? Even Iraq wants us to leave. Here is a slogan for McCain if he wants to win the election. Get out of Iraq!

July 22, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  13. Denverhead

well, Marie, there's a retard born every minute. If you can't get everything you want, you'll just hold your breath and vote ENTIRELY against your interests.

brilliant.

July 22, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  14. John

What can one expect from the liberal media and CNN?

This is just more anarchist anti american chatter, but with all of that hatred-who won the last two elections and is poised to win Iraq, the "lost war" of Barack HUSEIN Obama!

July 22, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  15. nancy

Oh, Vanity Fair is being too kind! No swear words?

July 22, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  16. Phil Newton Murphy, Oregon

Also offensive.

I'm for Obama, but this is too much.

Let's put the civil back in civil rights.

July 22, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  17. John

What can one expect from the liberal media and CNN?

This is just more anti american chatter, "Black In America day after day features to coincide with Obama-but with all of that hatred-anti white hatred which is trying to emasculate an entire generation of young white males, which I refuse to let happen to my sons, who won the last two elections and is poised to win Iraq, the "lost war" of Barack HUSEIN Obama!

July 22, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  18. Ex-Republican for Obama

I think both covers were quite funny. I have my opinion which of them is laced with more historical facts and which is sheer imaginable humor. As I said, they are both funny, whether the picture depicts things that are concrete as historical occurrences in the candidates life, or making fun of Americans to become lunatics with their over reactive imagination.

Kudo's to both the New Yorker and Vanity Fair for some good natured competition between themselves. I like it that they could take this time to give us a good laugh at ourselves as well as our candidates.

July 22, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  19. Justin, Ohio

As a supporter of John McCain, I think this is pretty funny. I'm sure McCain would think so too. I actually laughed when I saw this. Funny how the liberals get upset over the Obama cover, while everyone just laughs about this one. Says a lot about peoples views.

July 22, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  20. Denverhead

A funnier sight gag would have been them doing the 'white man's high five'...high fiving and missing...instead of the dap. Because not only can't we jump, we can't do a proper high five either.

July 22, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  21. BV

I think that Cindy clutching the pills puts it a bit over the edge.
    Gee whiz, why did Vanity Fair have to do this??
    Dang, I can feel another surge coming.

July 22, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  22. Lyle

The New Yorker cover image reflects how many people view Mr. Obama and his wife. The Vanity Fair “virtual” cover image does not reflect how the McCains are viewed by the majority of Americans and therefore, does not have the same impact.

July 22, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  23. Obama 08 - rocking it baby

I did not like the Obama Cartoon and this one is just as bad.... at least it is only on the Web though... The thing is I stated previously McCain can not handle the press that Obama handles and if the press cover McCain more it will be covering a Elder man complaining, now that is stereotype that no one want to entertain right? If I said it before and I will say it again stick to the issues... stop mud slinging and America will decide.... the right always throw mud, falsely call names but we on the left do not have to go to their level we are better than that however, If they want to go there we are no wimps hehehehhe ... I must reiterate though the cartoon is simply wrong :0) hehehehehe <== that is silent giggles

July 22, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  24. PG

PUT IT ON THE NEWS STANDS SO IT CAN HAVE THE SAME COVERAGE.

July 22, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  25. Ben

P – petty
    U – unfounded
    M – maniacal
    A – anger
    You're hurting the chances of any future female candidate. Now women are viewed as spiteful voters that hold the idea of a woman president above all else. Don't blame Obama. Personally I find him to be the most appealing candidate in my lifetime. Finally I can vote for someone instead of just against someone. Clinton, McCain, Kerry, Bush, Gore, Clinton, Dole, Dukakis, Bush – nothing really great / all "experienced". My "inexpereinced " heroes – Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr, Lincoln, Mother Teresa, Jesus.

July 22, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |