July 22nd, 2008

Vanity Fair out with New Yorker parody

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/22/art.vfcover.cnn.jpg caption="Vanity Fair is out with their own takeoff of the New Yorker cover"](CNN) - John McCain’s campaign complained Tuesday morning that the press wasn’t treating the presumptive Republican nominee like they had covered Democrat Barack Obama. Tuesday afternoon, they got an unexpected jolt of equal treatment: their own parody magazine cover, modeled on the controversial illustration that graced last week’s New Yorker.

Earlier: New Yorker editor defends cover

In the picture, which debuted on Vanity Fair’s Web site Tuesday afternoon, John McCain and wife Cindy are shown in the Oval Office giving each other daps, the fist-jab greeting that Barack and Michelle Obama traded on the cover of the New Yorker.

Other elements have been tweaked so the illustration – like the New Yorker cover – reflect stories and stereotypes the candidate and his wife would most like to leave behind. Cindy McCain isn’t clutching a machine gun – she’s cradling vials of pills. There’s no Muslim garb in sight, but the Arizona senator is leaning on a walker. The American flag isn’t burning in the fireplace; instead, the Constitution smolders.

In place of the portrait of Osama bin Laden in the original art, the liberal magazine has opted for a likeness of President Bush.

Watch: Obama responds to New Yorker cover

“We had our own presidential campaign cover in the works, which explored a different facet of the Politics of Fear, but we shelved it when The New Yorker’s became the ‘It Girl’ of the blogosphere,” wrote the editors, in a tongue-in-cheek statement posted on the magazine’s Web site. “Now, however, in a selfless act of solidarity with our downstairs neighbors here at the Condé Nast building, we’d like to share it with you. Confidentially, of course.”

But don’t go looking for the cover on a newsstand near you: it will remain a virtual production, posted on the Web site alone.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Sarah

Where is the dipers?

July 22, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  2. Gary Chandler in Canada

they missed the 2 children he had with his vietnamese nurses, while he was being 'tortured' – (according to Cambodian intelligence reports of the day)

July 22, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  3. James

Absolute genious! I've never bought a copy of vanity fair, but i will now.

July 22, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  4. Obama 08: white, 60 year old woman

McCain didn't even have the stamina to stay for the complete game when he and his new bud Guliani went to see the Yankees...left after the sixth inning with the game tied. How will he have the stamina to deal with long hours and negotiations??

July 22, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  5. tim

McCain's cover is all derivative from true stories. Obama's cover was all blatent falsehoods.

July 22, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  6. D.k

trying to cover up your predigest and racist illustration from last week? No it dos not work. we all know that McCain is too Old and lacks wisdom and knowledge, it is so sad trying to paint Obama as a Muslim terrorist in fact when you guys are.

July 22, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  7. Toni

Truly – as a subscriber to the NYT, I wrestled with my reaction. I watched a few TV pundits and decided to laugh. Now, Vanity Fair has given me more to laugh about. Guys, these covers are more about the media than the candidates. Loosten up and have a laugh on them.

July 22, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  8. Paul,Jet

what does john wants,he complained that barrack has never been overseas,barrack decided to go overseas and now he is complaining barrack is getting so much attention overseas,why can't john sit down somewhere and tell us how he can solve the economic problems after all the trillions of dollar spent in iraq.JOHN YOU ARE A WAR MONGER

OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT

July 22, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  9. Oh Boy!!??

First.

Iraq is not our war to "win"

Second.

Satire of satire is just, well dumb.

Third.

These McCaniacs are really scary. How does one blindly follow the blind.

Foreign policy and all, Iraq and Pakistan do not share borders.

July 22, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  10. chris in va.

Mc Shame's campaign is like a fish out of water. Reminds me of the old Chinese Fire Drills. They had months to prepare while the Dems fought it out, and this is the best they can come up with. This is proof that they have no new ideas, just the same old BS. Marie in california, why don't you donate to help your Hero Hilary get out of debt. I'm just glad she didn't get to run the whole country into the ground like she did her campaign.

July 22, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  11. KERAM

THIS DOES NOT COMPARE TO WHAT THEY DID TO OBAMA...THEY DRESSED HIM AS BIN LADEN AND WIFE AS TERRORISTS! SOMETHING THAT THIS NATION IS NEUROTIC ABOUT...THIS PICTURE IS A CARICATURE OF THE MCCAINS EXCEPT FOR THE WALKER!!!!!! NEVER A COMPARABLE...MICHELLE DOES NOT WEAR HER HAIR LIKE PORTRAYED AND NEITHER DOES OBAMA!!!!!!!

July 22, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  12. wow

hey, where is the ex-spouse who he left behind when he found his meal ticket?

July 22, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  13. California Gold

The problem I have is with this appearing as the cover. I didn't like the cover with Senator and Mrs. Obama and I don't like this cover with Senator and Mrs. McCain. Parodies and political swipes are ok, but not gracing the cover of a magazine. Inside a magazine with an accompanying article is one thing, but I find it irresponsible to send false messages when the satire is on a cover for non-readers (at least 17% of the population is illiterate) to see.

July 22, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  14. Monica for Obama in Indiana

Vanity Fair, this is a disgrace, it is not satire! This is mockery, that you should have kept! What you printed was true, what the new yorker printed was not true. I can see you are like the mccain campaign, you think we all are in a "mental recession".

The satire would have been mccain leaving his first wife and children for cindy. cindy doing drugs. bad rape jokes about women, our troops dying in Iraq for the next 100 years and oil wells pumping up all over the country. Americans homeless and dying of starvation and hurricanes like Katrina.
    Shame on you, I know you are not going to miss it, but I am cancelling my subscription tomorrow.

July 22, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  15. I HATE MACCAIN, BUSH WAR. VOTE FOR OBAMA

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh SO FUNNY I WILL BUY THIS MAGAZINE MILLES TIMES AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA THIS IS TRUE IN THE COVER

July 22, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  16. Debby

This is lame its just a copycat and just belittles Vanity Fair.

July 22, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  17. Peachy Keen

Frankly, I think they should have added Carol McCain, holding her crutches, laying between Cindy and John, each kicking her while she's down.

July 22, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  18. no McCain!

I like it! It's true!

Quit complaining McCain, Obama got a controversial picture and he calmly said, "I've seen worse."

Obama '08

July 22, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  19. H. Thompson

BRAVO!!!
    Whoever put this cover together, give them a raise!
    The best part is it arrives just when McLame is literally whining and begging for more media coverage. Nicely done!

July 22, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  20. Mommyof2

The walker is a nice touch.... LOL.....

July 22, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  21. Taa Taa

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT...!!!! Thanks for the laugh "Vanity Fair" You just won a customer and the New Yorker just lost my entire church.

July 22, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  22. Wilbur

She should be holding a Bud & he should be in a SS uniform.

July 22, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  23. Max

I disapproved of the New Yorker's image of Obama, and I disapprove of this too. The childishness by proxy through these two campaigns is overwhelming. I'm voting for Baldwin instead.

July 22, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  24. Wilbur

She could be wearing a bootlegger's zoot suit too.

July 22, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  25. Charlotte

This campaign has turned so boring, see ya in November. I'm writing Hillary on my ballot and hope many voters will also...

July 22, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |