July 23rd, 2008

Obama: Daughters won't be completely heartbroken if he loses

The Obama's are on the cover of People Magazine.

The Obama's are on the cover of People Magazine.

(CNN) - If John McCain captures the White House in November, the Arizona senator might not be the only happy party: in a new People magazine interview, Barack Obama tells the magazine that he suspects his own daughters might be relieved if his presidential bid falls short.

"They have a wonderful life in Chicago," he said, in an interview released Friday. "So I'm sure there's a part of them that won't be heartbroken if things don't work out."

That life includes a jam-packed schedule of dance, gymnastics and piano lessons, plus soccer and tennis - but it isn’t all fun and games. The Obamas may spend “hundreds” on slumber parties – but they don’t give their daughters Christmas or birthday presents, in order to "teach some limits."

"Malia says, 'I know there is a Santa because there's no way you'd buy me all that stuff,'" says Michelle Obama.

And the girls’ $1 weekly allowance depends on their completion of household chores like clearing the dinner table, and making their own beds ("Doesn't have to look good, just throw the sheet over it," says Michelle Obama.) Bedtime is 8:30 each night.

Barack Obama said, after an "Access Hollywood" interview of his daughters earlier this month, that he regretted the decision to allow the girls to speak to the press. "I don't think it's healthy and it's something that we'll be avoiding in the future," he said.

But despite the glare of the media spotlight over the course of the campaign season, "I've been really happy by how nonplussed they've been by the whole thing," says Obama.

"When some folks were attacking Michelle, Malia just asked, 'What was that all about?' And we talked it through," he says, adding that "She’s completely confident about her mommy’s wonderfulness."

1. D.Kimbro OHIO

Matt, that is so low. Don't be ethnocentric!!! Just because you would'nt understand this from your parents, don't judge how someone has chosen to raise their children, have your own and then you will understand. Attitudes like yours is why there are so many spoiled messed up children in the world.

Ethnocentric = Judging another persons culture or belief system by the standard you would apply to your own.

July 23, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  2. Jackie, MD

I need to talk to the girls about getting a raise on their allowance. Smile, just kidding.

Obama 08

July 23, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  3. The BLK GUY

When I grow-up, I want to be just like them....

July 23, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  4. Hispanic For McCain

All of you Jerks and Liberals Morons on this Blog, get over it !!!!

McCain is going to win on a Landslide, Obama is going down.

Hispanic for McCain!!!!

July 23, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  5. Paris. LA

Well good. Let's hope he loses.

July 23, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  6. Tina, MN

Is this magazine out now? I'm going to stop by the store on my way home. I can't wait to read it.

Too bad the New Yucker painted the wrong image of this wonderful family.

My next POTUS will make a great story when he arrives in the White House.

July 23, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  7. John

GREAT! I HOPE HE LOSES. HILLARY 2012

July 23, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  8. Tracey, MN

The girls are so cute, and Malia seems to be a great big sister to Sasha.

The next first family looks wonderful.

Obama 08

July 23, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  9. crooksandliars

Any time, any where...I'd vote for this First Family.
    Simply luv them!

July 23, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  10. A Tolerant and Understanding America

Matt, you wouldn't be using your own family values as a basis to judge others would you? Because that would be arrogant and a sad reflection of your personal tolerance of other's cultures and values. I wonder what we would find out about you if your family was put under a microscope.

As for Senator Obama's family, I think they are very fortunate to have such strong family values and frankly, its very refreshing.

July 23, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  11. Jennifer

Yes – maybe we should all spend "hundreds" on slumber parties. After all, that's apparently what makes great parents!

July 23, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  12. Sig, Los Angeles CA

Such a good looking family – they really are.

July 23, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  13. Val from MA

WOW! Who doesn't give give Christmas and birthday presents to their kids? That is just very very sad. It's almost like emotional abuse. Can you imagine the kids going back to school after Christmas and telling everyone that Santa didn't bring anything for them? I feel pitty for them – that's not good parenting.

July 23, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  14. bobby

matt that is what parenting is about.i guess you would spoil your children rotten

July 23, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |