July 23rd, 2008

Obama meets key Mideast leaders

Sen. Barack Obama meets with Israeli President Shimon Peres in Jerusalem.

Sen. Barack Obama meets with Israeli President Shimon Peres in Jerusalem.

JERUSALEM (CNN) - Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama pledged Wednesday to maintain a close relationship between the United States and Israel.

He also said he will work toward bringing peace in the region regardless of whether he is elected president.

Obama spoke during a meeting with Israeli President Shimon Peres in Jerusalem. It was one of many stops the senator from Illinois made during the day.

The senator is on an international tour aimed to boost his foreign policy credentials.

"I'm here on this trip to reaffirm the special relationship between Israel and the United States and my abiding commitment to Israel's security, and I hope I can serve as an effective partner, whether as a United States senator or as a president, in bringing about a more lasting peace in the region," he said.

Peres said he had "high regard" for Obama and described his belief that "the future belongs to the young."

Obama began his second day in the Middle East on Wednesday by meeting Israeli leaders and laying a wreath at the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial in Jerusalem.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Barack the Vote in RI

...you, too "Travis in Colorado".

July 23, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  2. Super D

Gary, way to go, you nailed it!

Obama from here on out will be referred to as:

THE MEDIA CLOWN

Perfect representation of this false prophet.

July 23, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  3. JO-ANN FROM NEW YORK

@ TED, SANDY, GARY....

PLEASE LEAVE YOUR NEGATIVE OPINIONS ON THE PUMA WEBSITE....PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO POSITIVE....

STOP HATING....THIS COUNTRY IS ALREADY IN SORRY SHAPE FROM BUSH....HOW COULD ANYONE ELSE MAKE IT ANY WORSE....

YOU PEOPLE NEED TO THINK, RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BLOG....

July 23, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  4. Debby

Wait till Obama meets with the Prime Minister of Iran I wonder if Isreal's President will be so supporting. Its great Obama meets world leaders he should, but he has made so many promises and if elected President and doesn't keep them his history of being the first AA will be doom instead of a legacy. The man hasn't done anything but shake hands, make promises and smile and the media is following him around like he is this big accomplishment already.

July 23, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  5. SIMP

Gary

If you are so sick of seeing President Obama everyday than maybe you should go back to looking at cartoon network, or reading your comic books, your level of television and reading. You are the joke.

Obama

July 23, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  6. Linda

Senator Obama has proven himself to be a person of sound mind and judgment, good character and even temperment. He will make a great world leader. I trust him and he has my vote.

July 23, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  7. Lorna, NY

Mr. President! Boy, I do love the sound of that!

July 23, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  8. MO for McCain

What a phony, I'm tired of hearing about this staged media event.
    This is proof that Obama is pompus and arrogant, strutting around the world acting like he's already won the election. I bet it back fires on him.

July 23, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  9. Lorna, NY

When Barak Obama becomes president of the US, he would be the most intelligent president the US has ever had!

July 23, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  10. Newsdiva

So Ted, you said something about Obama "giving America away?" Ah, that would be the bush crime family and other gop idiots who have become professionals at giving this country away...to NAFTA, sending jobs overrseas, Mcgrumpy making trips to Colombia for CAFTA to give away MORE JOBS.

Yo Ted, got get a brain scan, or a lobotomy or something. You're in pathetic shape, just like that old fart who is the gop nominee. Obama is about to start cleaning up all the crap bush & co. have heaped on the American people in the past 8 years and frankly, I can't wait 'till all of us are addressing him as PRESIDENT OBAMA!!!

Now run tell that.

Obama 08 & 12

July 23, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  11. NY State of mind

Always waiting moderation
    Give it a brake CNN

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    Oil down $16 barrel since last week-now Dem. Congress looking hard at speculators- why would that happen if all legitimate.
    Gas down from 4.11 to 4.04 average, % gas down APPOX. 2%-WHILE OIL DOWN-APPROX.-9%
    Answer me this Rep. getting fat off oil supporting McCain- HOW COME GAS PRICE DOESN’T FALL AT RATE OIL DOES WHEN IT INCREASES AT THAT RATE!

SOMEONE ANSWER THIS –IF YOU CAN!

Obama 08, only way out of the corruption and greed of our so –called leaders.

July 23, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  12. Onedayatatime

Gary: There are still people who "see" Elvis. How nice that Obama can be not only seen but also heard. The world is listening and for the first time in 8 years they are smiling from sincere optimism instead of laughing at some flub made by our "Leader". If you think Obama is a "mediaclown" try watching your vanishing hopeful, McCain as he painfully tries to garner some attention....instead of being followed by the press he is seeking them out and crying "watch me, watch me, see I can talk too". Unfortunately the press generally likes to report on people who actually have something to say.

Barak has my hope and my vote.

July 23, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  13. Georgia Girl

I love that Obama is on his way to uniting this world. He will work with World leaders to bring peace and unity instead of make war and enemies a philosophy that MCFOOL and Bush has done.

July 23, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  14. Voter

When I think of four years of endless tv shows and articles on "Race in America," I am torn between boredom and annoyance.

Race 24/7 for the next four years. Spare me!

Judging by the C-Span coverage of the Harlem Book Festival, black Americans read, think, talk about race and absolutely nothing else. Not a single book, not a single interviewee had any subject on his mind other than race. Don't you ever get tired of thinking only about race? Just exactly how narrow IS your world? Does anybody read anything, anything at all, about any other subject? Apparently not.

That is reason enough not to vote for Obama.

July 23, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  15. Eric in Ca

Why the divisive & bigoted rhetoric? Obama is everything that McCain is not! Yes – intelligence, leadership, humility, integrity, fairness, confidence, and civility will return to the White House!
    This election is about Historic and Pre-Historic!

Yes We Can 08

July 23, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  16. Connie

I wonder how many of these officials have ask for a seat at Obama's swearing in ceremonies in January . It will be great to not be laughed at behind our back's ,because we had a fool for president. Connie from Indiana

July 23, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  17. Dave C - NJ

Does "experience" mean an old crusty Republican who backed 8 years of failures?

Recently McCain has shown less knowledge of world affairs than a grade school history teacher. I thought he was the "expert"?

July 23, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  18. Al Ware

It is really discouraging to hear the negative comments about Obama and/or McCain. Most of them seem so personal in nature and not based on facts. Regardless of your party affiliation or choice for President, we are Americans first. Some of the comments are so full of hatred and racism. If you look closely at what's going on it's very clear who the better choice for President would be.

Obama 2008 & 2012!

July 23, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  19. Dave C - NJ

I was sick of the 2000 "media clown."

His name was John McCain.

July 23, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  20. Daniel

I am glad that America is waking up from her slumber. That is a presidential picture right there.
    It sometimes baffles me if McCain ever studied Geography. Linking a border between Iraq and Pakistan. That is so awkward. A person like him boasting of Foreign Credentials does not know Czechoslovakia does not exist.
    What a nuisance to the American People. Anybody who opens his/her big mouth and Obama is inexperience is just a racist.
    Blacks in America have been voting for White presidents since God know when but when it came to the time for Whites to vote for a Black president, now there is a big problem.
    If your standard of living is just good for you, then vote McCain. Whoever reads this peace should take an inventory of their standard of living for the past 7 years and compare it to just the 4 previous years before Bush.
    IT IS ABOUT TIME PEOPLE. GREAT OBAMA 08

July 23, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  21. Charlotte

No experience needed, will train! It is about time he did something, he sure never did anything as a Senator. I get the feeling he wants everybody to like him and will say what ever he thinks that audience wants to hear, unfortunately everybody hears it, then he re-defines. i will still write Hillary on my ballot in November..

July 23, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  22. Self-actualization and manifest destiny

wow- you people need to read the news more or at least have had remained contemporary on politics prior to Obama.

Rhetoric we can believe in...

July 23, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  23. Stella

Hey Travis in Colorado the only thing McCain knows how to do (so he claims) is "win wars." What wars? Sorry but Obama has done well on his tour while McOld sits at home attacking and complaining and whinning about no media coverage. I don't see arrogance – I see confidence. I see our next President of the United States. I don't see that nor hear that with McOld – just a bunch of attacking and complaining. Even McOld's volunteers are complaining about the lousy campaign McOld is running.

Obama 08

July 23, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  24. Liz

Ted, Sandy, Travis in Colorado, & Gary – Eat your heart out...lol

July 23, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  25. The Right Vote - Obama

Finally, A leader to represent our country in an intelligent and respectful way. He looks more presidential, and is much better received by other world leaders, than any past president in my lifetime.

July 23, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |