July 23rd, 2008

Obama meets key Mideast leaders

Sen. Barack Obama meets with Israeli President Shimon Peres in Jerusalem.

Sen. Barack Obama meets with Israeli President Shimon Peres in Jerusalem.

JERUSALEM (CNN) - Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama pledged Wednesday to maintain a close relationship between the United States and Israel.

He also said he will work toward bringing peace in the region regardless of whether he is elected president.

Obama spoke during a meeting with Israeli President Shimon Peres in Jerusalem. It was one of many stops the senator from Illinois made during the day.

The senator is on an international tour aimed to boost his foreign policy credentials.

"I'm here on this trip to reaffirm the special relationship between Israel and the United States and my abiding commitment to Israel's security, and I hope I can serve as an effective partner, whether as a United States senator or as a president, in bringing about a more lasting peace in the region," he said.

Obama began his second day in the Middle East on Wednesday by meeting Israeli leaders and laying a wreath at the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial in Jerusalem.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Kathryn Irby - Metairie, LA

Obama is getting "his homework done" while, back at home in the States, McBush is one desperate man!

July 23, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  2. Chut Pata

I am not surprized that Perez likes Obama. In a region where only war mongers are respected, Perez was the only voice against war. I still remember his speech he gave to Israel parliament befoer resigning as Foreign minister. He aggressively criticised Israeli state of being in constant war with its neighbour, and its plan to attack Iran. Perez paid heavy political price for his peace activity. He was lucky not to be killed (not yet) like other peace activist Rabin.

With both leaders being pro-peace, I undersand the respect they have for each other. I respect their respect.

July 23, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  3. Obama Supporter from Texas

Sorry Gary, but we are all excited about our candidate. I love to see Obama in the news everyday.

Obama '08

July 23, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  4. James

THIS CONTINUES TO BE LAUGHABLE.

MCCAIN THREW DOWN THE GAUNTLET OF NOT VISITING IRAQ OR THE MIDDLE EAST AND NOW HE'S CRYING BECAUSE OBAMA NOT ONLY PICKED IT UP, BUT IS SLAPPING HIM AROUND WITH IT!!

HE AND HIS CAMPAIGN CAN ONLY BLAME THEMSELVES THAT OBAMA IS REPRESENTING HIMSELF AND AMERICA WELL AND LOOKING PRESIDENTIAL.

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR MCCAIN. YOU JUST MIGHT GET IT.

July 23, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  5. curtis

If te truth is known all the major countries in the world are hoping Obama is the next president of the USA. He offers hope of a peacful world with the USA being the leader as we once were. America has been arrogant of late and the change of face with obama being the leader will bring peace to america and the world.

July 23, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  6. Phil From VA

Gary, dont be jealous. Just because no one wants to see old Mcsame.

July 23, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  7. Can I get my comments posted this time?

I suppose some people would prefer to see Obama with sagging pants and a 40 in his hand speaking ebonics. When did being an educated well dressed black man become arrogant and elitist? I guess if I were white, I'd be angry that a black man "didn't stay in his place" too.

July 23, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  8. Remy

People need PEACE and no war. McCain is beating the war drums. This is why many Americans as well as many other people like Obama.

Obama will get a landslide victory in November!

July 23, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  9. arc, Lugano CH

G.W. Bush came into office with stellar foreign policy credentials. He never preyed upon the isolationist ignorance and xenophobic fear of the like-minded electorate who re-elected him on a platform of ‘values’. 8 years later our country is the strongest economically than it has ever been, and the nation is a shining beacon and example of peace and prosperity for the rest of the world that in their admiration for the Unites States cannot hold the country in a higher regard.

Dem2008

July 23, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  10. Mary In AL

I love this picture! It is my fovorite so far!
    Obama/Biden 08

July 23, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  11. Obama 08: white, 60 year old woman

Ted: The country has been given away with the ever increasing debt to other countries due to an illegal war, free trade agreements which favor big business who move their plants and profits out of America,
    and the trade imbalance especially with China.

Confidence, elegance and intelligence is what I see in Obama and reflected by the leaders he is meeting.

Watch the videos of Obama's reception by the troops in Baghdad. The MSM isn't running them because McCain would begin whining!!

July 23, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  12. Trish Hussien - PA

Senator Obama has done more for this country's foreign policy relations with this visit than idiot bush has done during his 8 year reign of terror. Thank God Obama decided to run for the presidency. Those of you who whine about him not having enough experience must be in George Bush's corner because you sound about as stupid as he does when he talks. Do you mispronounce your words also? Or maybe you get confused like McCain does? Either way, thank God you appear to be in the minority.

July 23, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  13. Don, Fairfax, VA

Don't forget . . . the righteous Reverend Wright was impressed with Obama.

Vote McCain in 08.

July 23, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  14. ET from OMAHA

WOW. I hope McSame is regreating asking Obama to go to IRAk.
    We told you McSame they guy a Political rock star.
    he is just smarter than you period. Blame your age and retired.
    He is a Young lawyer and your are an old War hero.
    He reads books and keep cultivating his knowledge and you only have memories of war

July 23, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  15. shadman

Presidents come and go and for the last 60 years American Foreign policy is not based on who is in the office. So what Barack will change is beyond me.
    My predictions: 10 years from today
    Israel and Palestinians will still be fighting, there will be no solution
    US will still be in ME, the oil is there
    Israel backed lobby will be most powerful lobby
    Arabs and Muslims will still be the labeled as 'terrorists'
    gas will be more than 7.00 per gallon, Americans will still be driving Hummers

July 23, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  16. marie

Quote from Sandy earlier **Boost his foreign policy credentials"? You MUST be joking. He has none. **

I don't see McCain forging diplomatic foundations that are anywhere near the same level as Obama has with the leaders of Afghanistan, Iraq, Jordan, and Israel – all within 4 days. Our country is in dire need of first aid on so many fronts, all I see is that McCain wants to continue down the same path that is hurting us so badly.

July 23, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  17. Sally

Obama will finally bring peace to the world.

July 23, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  18. Obama-Junkie, IL

Isn't it funny that the Obama-bashers on here sound like the "ugly" girl who couldn't get a date to the prom so she bashes the "cute" girl who has multiple offers to go to the prom?

All the Obama-bashers use personal attacks against Obama because they can't find fault with his policies or ideas.

July 23, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  19. arlene, CA

Obama you are doing just great. McCain is so far behind in comparison to your abilities to lead that he is getting even more frustrated than before, just so jealous that you are doing so well over seas with the foreign leaders. Finally, a President (presumptive) that will be for all the people & hope to bring about real change. We Love You Obama. Obama For Prez 08

July 23, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  20. Jim in GA

The flagrant bias in this campaign makes me sick to my stomach. It's gotten to the point I can't even stand to watch CNN any more. Commentators and anchors don't even to appear to have any qualms coming out and directly supporting Obama. This is not what our founding fathers had in mind when they called for freedom of the press. In fact it was established to stop this time of skewed media reporting, except in this case its the free media and not government media we have to watch out for. People need to stand up and tell the media we will not allow them to annoint the next president of the United States.

July 23, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  21. Nancy in San Jose

Does President Peres mean that Obama is going to be the president or that he thinks that he should be the president when he says "Future belongs to the young"? ...... Smart man.

July 23, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  22. Patricia

"Peres said he had "high regard" for Obama and described his belief that "the future belongs to the young."

-–

I think this is a particularly compelling statement, and is almost a Maliki-like endorsement of Obama. He is so right: the future belongs to the young – not to a soon-to-be 72 year old man who can't seem to remember events, timelines or places from one day to the next

July 23, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  23. Carolyn

FOR ALL THE HATERS OF OBAMA, OBAMA WILL BE YOU 2008 PRESIDENT FACE IT. JOHN MCCAIN DOESN'T HAVE A CHANGE. PLEASE STOP HATEING ON OBAMA. HE JUST HAS THE FAVOR OF GOD ON HIS LIFE. "REMEMBER WHAT GOD HAS PLAN FOR US "NO" MAN CAN TAKE AWAY.

PRESIDENT BARRACK OBAMA -GET USE TO SAYING THAT AMERICA! GOD BLESS YOU!

July 23, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  24. Randy

Peres: "Sen. Obama my country is continually being threatened by Iran, they have publically stated they will obliterate us off the earth"
    Obama: "Look at my suit...aren't I handsome?"
    Peres: "Israel cannot allow Iran to have nuclear capabilities..."
    Obama: "See how white my teeth are?"
    Peres: "We really feel as though we may have to take military action to protect ourselves"
    Obama: "When I was in high school I made honor roll 4 times"
    Peres: "Iran has been supporting Hamas for decades now and bankrolling their terrorist attacks against us"
    Obama: "Do you have a helicopter I can take a ride in too?"
    Peres: "Sen. Obama, excuse me I need to use the rest room"
    Obama: "I need to go pee pee too!"

CNN HEADLINE>>>>>>> "MIDDLE EAST BREAKTHROUGH>>>PERES OBAMA AGREE"

July 23, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  25. Vote Obama 08/12

Obama we love you and your family.You are our only hope of putting this country back on track we stand behind you all the way to the Oval Office.
    You are a peace maker not a war monger as this OLD Mc War is.
    We are tired of being scammed,lied to and taken advantage of by the McBush gang Re-buttican idiots.
    4500 service men and woman gone ,thousands injured and then this old McWar that loves war and has the gall just as the rest of his fallowers /crowd to continue this for 100 years .
    McCains service years are to be questioned after all both his Father and Grandfather were in Military string pullers how else did he get by with his crousing at West Point and low grades than Daddy and Grandpa pulling strings??????

VOTE THESE dirty good for nothing CROOKS OUT .

July 23, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |