July 27th, 2008

McCaskill: Reluctant veeps not being honest

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/27/art.mccaskill.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Claire McCaskill says anyone would be thrilled to be asked to be Obama's No. 2."]

WASHINGTON (CNN) – How can you tell if a prospective vice presidential candidate is lying? Well, one potential running mate says when they claim they don’t really want the job.

Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Missouri), thought to be a possible contender for Barack Obama’s No. 2 spot, was asked on Fox News Sunday, “I'm going to do something that people don't do around Washington very often. I think you're not supposed to do this. I think anybody in Washington would be thrilled to be asked.”

Would she take the job, if offered? She said, “I would like to meet somebody who wouldn't. If they're saying they wouldn't, I don't think that they are being as candid or as up front with the American people as probably they should be.”

Obama will campaign in McCaskill’s critical home state week. She said she has not been asked to provide any personal information to the campaign.

McCaskill said she doesn’t believe Obama needs to necessarily pick a female running mate to win support from women voters. She said, “If you look at all the polling, the much vaunted problems that Obama was going to have with working-class people, with people that don't have a college education, with women, with Hispanics, you don't hear a lot of talking heads talking about those issues anymore because it's simply not true.

Also appearing with McCaskill was Sen. John Thune (R-South Dakota). He wasn’t quite as open on whether he would take the running mate position if offered by John McCain. Thune said, “You don't rule anything out in this profession. But it's certainly not anything I aspire to. I like the

job I have.” He also said he had not be asked by the McCain campaign to provide information.

1. John Franks

I think she right. If they've been asked, they should say so. If they've indicated to the Obama campaign that they'd take the job if offered, they should say so or a least a "No comment" which would indicate that they've been talked to, but have not been asked to accept the job. I think its a shame to have the first thing out of the potential Veep's mouth be a lie.

July 27, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  2. Rave

I wrote in one of comments weeks ago, that Claire is the right person for the Job if Al Gore says no
    Obama / Al Gore (2008)
    or
    Obama / Claire McCaskill (2008)

July 27, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  3. Jerry

For someone to write that McCaskill isn't honest is a joke. Claire McCaskill is one of the countries finest Senators with a breadth of knowledge that would help any President run the country. Claire is a first rate individual and as a democrat I would be proud to have her on the ticket.

July 27, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  4. Greg, Hamilton Ontario

Come On! How many people would tell their boss "No thanx I don't want that promotion that pays a lot more and doesn't really make me work at all. Just stand there and be ready to take over" If you know one then you know a liar.

Does anyone really think Hillary is just going to fall by the wayside and wait for the next election? Trust me something is going to happen either before or during the convention. They will find a way to take this from Obama it's just a matter of when and how.

imho

July 27, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  5. Carole, CA

McCaskill lost all credibility with me when I watched her lie to cover for Obama after he clearly turned his back on Hillary in the Senate. I can't imagine a worse scenario for our nation: a green-horn president and a 3-year senator. But. . . he does owe her for all the covering up she's done for him.

July 27, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  6. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Can't touch that one because she is right.

July 27, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  7. pumas support depends

Claire would be a great pick.

July 27, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  8. Rob indetroit

If the polls stay the same Obama might haveto pick HRC as a running mate.

July 27, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  9. GoAwayClaire

Please do not pick this woman as your VP. I am tired of her lobbying for it and her trying to be the next hillary but she is a joke and wouldn't bring anything to the ticket!

July 27, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  10. carol

It doesn's matter whether she is honest or not. What she has said is true, anyone will be thrilled to be asked to serve as number two.

July 27, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  11. Brooklyn Girl

I have always wanted to know what was in it for her. I mean she backed Obama early and she was aggressive about defending him. I wonder how dissapointed she will be if she does not the the V.P. spot.

July 27, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  12. Clinton, no, wait, McCain Supporter

If Obama picks any woman other than Hillary Clinton, he will be a laughing stock.

And women will vote with their feet in numbers little Barry can't even imagine!

July 27, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  13. Jerry, Florida

Wow! The pot calling the kettle black. Senator McCaskill is not the most honest person dreaming of being flip-flopping, rookie Senator Obama's running mate. No wonder she was against Senator Clinton from the beginning. Though Senator Clinton would have been, and is the best candidate for the presidency of the US.

American voters wake up!!!

I guess hypocrites run in pairs.

July 27, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  14. M.S. Indiana

Depends on if you are in Obama camp or not... Cant see who will ruin their political future running with McCain and Bush

July 27, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  15. yess

I don't think Senator McCaskill lacks honesty and integrity. She is one honest politician with good judgement and integrity that this country still have in this present era. I strongly have respect for her.

July 27, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  16. Victor in Saanich, B.C. Canada

Well Claire, I'm sure it has nothing to do with RACISM!! HHMM!!
    A nation divided and the chasm keeps growing it appears!!

July 27, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  17. ever

i guess the truth is painful but its great to hear the truth keep up the good work and forget about those whose business is faultfinding

July 27, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  18. Martin

Sen. Claire McCaskill would be a good choice,
    I think Dick Gephardt would be better from Missouri,
    for Obama.In the same context,Mitt Romney would be
    a good choice for McCain,I think John Kasich or Mike Pence
    would be better though.Both Missouri and the Ohio Valley
    will be hard fought in this Election that is clear.

July 27, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  19. Keith

I love it when people make blanket statements like - "I think she [McCaskill] seriously lacks honesty and integrity" - where does that come from? Examples please, or are we just making stupid statements to try and score cheap political points.

I think the Senator has been a great spokesman for the Obama campaign and she is right - any of them would say yes to being VP.

July 27, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  20. pam Eugene OR

Claire is the first one out with an honest answer. Good for her!

July 27, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  21. John in Iowa

Please tell me I won't have to look at this hideous woman for 4 years!

July 27, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  22. Shannon

typical Obama supporter, if you're not a fanatic for him, you must be racist or lying. Why can't Obama supporters just get that some of us see through his phony rhetoric. He's all talk, no action. Just look at his voting record. He's missed more votes than any other senator, and he has voted present more than any other senator. The man is an empty suit!

July 27, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  23. jess

I strongly have respect for Senator McCaskill. She is among the honest politicians that we still have in this present era.

July 27, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  24. Walter

I really like Governor McCaskill. Normally, I would be pleased to see her on the ticket.

But Obama really can't afford to choose any woman but Hillary. If he does, it will look like pandering.

If he doesn't want Hillary, which I can understand if not necessarily agree with, he needs someone who can get him a key state or key demographic.

How about Ken Salazar from Colorado?

July 27, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  25. jamie

Obama,has apparently self appointed his self as U.S. president or at least it appears that way! Hey CNN, why don't you give the chance to post comments on Barack Hussain Obama more often? You do that with McCain why is it different for Osama? I think you just like all the one sided attacks on McCain and you call your self a news network? More like a propaganda network for Obama! I'm sure you will not post this given the fact that I'm pro-McCain!

Obama,is to arragant to be president. McCain all the way 2008!!! McCain=real change not just cheap words and a hole lot of flip flops...LoL

July 27, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |