July 27th, 2008

McCaskill: Reluctant veeps not being honest

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/27/art.mccaskill.gi.jpg caption="Sen. Claire McCaskill says anyone would be thrilled to be asked to be Obama's No. 2."]

WASHINGTON (CNN) – How can you tell if a prospective vice presidential candidate is lying? Well, one potential running mate says when they claim they don’t really want the job.

Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Missouri), thought to be a possible contender for Barack Obama’s No. 2 spot, was asked on Fox News Sunday, “I'm going to do something that people don't do around Washington very often. I think you're not supposed to do this. I think anybody in Washington would be thrilled to be asked.”

Would she take the job, if offered? She said, “I would like to meet somebody who wouldn't. If they're saying they wouldn't, I don't think that they are being as candid or as up front with the American people as probably they should be.”

Obama will campaign in McCaskill’s critical home state week. She said she has not been asked to provide any personal information to the campaign.

McCaskill said she doesn’t believe Obama needs to necessarily pick a female running mate to win support from women voters. She said, “If you look at all the polling, the much vaunted problems that Obama was going to have with working-class people, with people that don't have a college education, with women, with Hispanics, you don't hear a lot of talking heads talking about those issues anymore because it's simply not true.

Also appearing with McCaskill was Sen. John Thune (R-South Dakota). He wasn’t quite as open on whether he would take the running mate position if offered by John McCain. Thune said, “You don't rule anything out in this profession. But it's certainly not anything I aspire to. I like the

job I have.” He also said he had not be asked by the McCain campaign to provide information.

1. Daniel

I dare Obama to pick McCaskill or any other female that is NOT named Hillary. It will take guts to do so. Any rational voter will see that Obama is pandering and will backfire big-time.

Then again....if Obama refuses to pick a female.....that will tick off the feminist wing of the Democrat Party and general females in general. I can see the headlines already. Obama picks a safe unknown male such as Bayh, Edwards, Biden, or Nunn. Then McCain returns fire the next day by annoucing the former CEO of Hewlett Packard will be his VP. McCain will then have a group of females in the background of his speech on the platform.

Obama's only smart choice is to pick Hillary......but it is obvious with the recent world tour that Obama is so confident and arrogant that he thinks he can win this by himself and he doesn't need any help.

We shall see how things really turn out.

July 27, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  2. Observer

Interesting insight from McCaskill, but Obama won't choose her for VP. I can't see him choosing any woman for VP unless it is Hillary (even though I think Gov. Sebelius would be an excellent choice).

July 27, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  3. Anthony Las Vegas, Nevada

Clinton Supporters for John McCain!!!
    Clinton should have been the nominee. Obama will surely loose the election unless he picks Hillary. Hillary received more votes than Obama so Obama should honor that and pick her as his VP. If he doesn't, McCain will win!! I am 18 and even I know this to be true

July 27, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  4. Marianne from Michigan

McCaskill is, what is called in the business, a handmaiden to the establishment. She is not enough of her own person to do anything but worship at the empty altar of Obama.

Wake up Democrats! Obama is not a Democrat, but a closet Republican: he wants more federal money in the hands of churches than Bush, doesn't oppose government illegal snooping on private citizens, doesn't oppose late term abortion in cases of emotional distress, favors the death penalty in non-capital cases, etc. . . .

Obama's team is now vetting Anne Venemen for his vp - Bush's first-term Secretary of Agriculture, a darling of big agribusiness and despised by environmentalists. Obama has no guiding principles. He will do anything for votes. What kind of a Democrat would even consider Venemen for any post at all, much less vp?

I have never voted Republican in my life, but I will be voting for McCain, just to get the Democratic party to wake up and pay for their internal coup that handed Obama the nomination. He is not a Democrat!!!! And he stutters and stammers as much as Bush when speaking without a script - an indication of years of neurological damage from hard drug use. People, that kind of damage doesn't heal. I know, I'm a neuroscientist.

July 27, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  5. Drew from Green Bay, WI

It seems to me that Sen. McCaskill is out of touch with a lot. Obama better not pick her for VP. There are some politicians that would rather be a Sen. because they believe they have more say as a Sen. For instance, look how close the Senate is. Now say, Sen. Schwarzanegger (sp?) accepted the VP spot, his spot would probably be filled with a Democrat. On the other hand, if Sen. Webb took the VP spot, his spot would probably be filled with a Republican causing the Democrat's to lose the majority. Obama might not have problems with hispanics anymore, but he does with women/Clinton supporters and blue collar workers.

July 27, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  6. Interesting

Clinton, no, wait, McCain Supporter, & Jerry wake up, Clinton lost get over it.

July 27, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  7. Marianne from Michigan

Oops! Sorry, I made a mistake above. I meant to say Obama does oppose late term abortion in cases where a woman is suffering from emotional illness.

July 27, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  8. R

Watch the Hillary-fanatics weigh in on this subject!!!! It's going to be funny listening to their rants as they are still holding their breath wishing Obama selects her. If he does, the GOP will eat Barack up for making the worst mistake in his short political life.

July 27, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  9. Turnabout is Fair Play

Okay, tell me what McCaskill did that was dishonest and lacked integrity as compared to Hillary because I'm chomping at the bit to blow you feminists out of the water. Go on, tell me what she's done! And for a "rookie" senator, Obama's blowing all the "experienced" senators out of the water..how can THAT be? Hmmm? experienced doesn't mean common sense, sometimes it take someone who hasn't been corrupted to see a different side to things not seen by those who have had power for too long. I welcome the young Obama to my country as I'm 40 and I believe in the young future, NOT the old past.

July 27, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  10. Omar

McCaskil is being very honest, all those who say they wont take the VP job are not being honest, everyone of them will take it,

July 27, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  11. texas DEM

VP McCaskill would make a Clinton supporter's blood boil.

VICE PRESIDENT CLINTON 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 27, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  12. will

god.. this would make the last 8 years look almost good. come one she is as ready to be vp as he is to be the prez. Come on all Hillary supporter lets use our vote to insure this never happens.. vote for Mccain. and then in 4 years we get our girl back

July 27, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  13. Latina from Florida

Jerry, Florida – I agree with you 100%.

July 27, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  14. Doris,Memphis,TN

Claire McCaskill is a wonderful lady. However, I think Senator
    Biden would be the best VP for Barack Obama. He is older,
    but not too old (like McWhiner). He is smart, tall and attractive
    (like Obama). Americans respect and admire Senator Biden.

July 27, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  15. Montana is Obama Country

Barack will make the best decision for the country he and I love and I will be pleased on whoever his choice to be second in command will be..!

I stand with Barack ........

as for puma.... well read below..

PUMA = Punishment Under McCain Administration

July 27, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  16. Jody Monroe

McCaskill is open and honest. You gotta love it!

I admire her honesty. I'd love to see another woman in a positive leadership position. Just NEVER Hillary!!!

July 27, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  17. PUMA 4 HILL

It seems I can't get my comments posted by the friendly Obama CNN.

This woman is repulsive. She spent more time campaigning for Obama than just about anyone and neglected her duties in which we the people of MO voted her in to do.

She's also on our hit list – her days are numbered as a Senator.

Doing everything we can to STOP the MADNESS.
    NOBAMA, NEVER
    McCain '08 for Clinton '12

July 27, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  18. projectial barfing

slow pickins' this political season. how much greenhouse gas did BO emit during his trip? I'll be tons ! ! ! as much a hypocrite as gore. funny !

July 27, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  19. Peter

McCaskill isnt the VP

July 27, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  20. truthatalltimes

it is amazing to me how these supporters of HRC are so rabid in their support of her that they would even threaten a support of john mccain. those of us who support obama and can see his faults as well as the good are thinking of who would lead the country after the last horrible eight years and seeing the smart, methodical, fiscally responsible and steady as she goes way he has managed his campaign, well he is the man for us. every country get the government they deserve and we certainly deserve better that what the republicans have dished out. do not be deceived into thinking hillary can come back in four years, whatever the outcome in november 2008. something happened in washington d.c. when she started her campaign with a maximum of all the superdelegates she would ever get and ended up with defections. these people knew something we were not told and the 25 million in debt her campaign is in right now, tells us what we already knew: for all her brilliance, she cannot manage anything. she will be always admired by me but i did not want her as my president. We can't afford to fall in love this time and shoot ourselves in the foot!!! Whoever the dem. nominee is gets my vote, even if it is ultimately donald duck!!!!

July 27, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  21. PCS / North Carolina

Jerry, Florida July 27th, 2008 6:56 pm ET

"Though Senator Clinton would have been, and is the best candidate for the presidency of the US."

Being a doctor's wife doesn't make you a doctor. You need not vote for him, which you will not do anyway, but at least give credit to Obama for running a phenomenal campaign. He is an American, and at least half white.

July 27, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  22. Jake from OH

Nothing like more arrogant, inexperienced rookies in the Democratic Party. If the junior Senator really wants to call her Democratic colleagues liars, she should do so in private on not on national television.

I am so sick of these rookie Dems acting like they know everything – its enought to make you sick.

July 27, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  23. Jeremy-Missouri

I think McCaskill is a lot more honest than Clinton is.If Obama wants a female on the ticket, she would be the best choice. Mccaskill and Romney in the Vice presidential debate. She would make Romney look silly. Can anyone be more specific on how she lacks honesty or integrity.

Clinton supporters need to get over it because they is no way she could have won the general election, so please stop crying about it.

July 27, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  24. Molly

obama you are NOT qualified – but – you sure are Arrogant!
    You are an arrogant, Radical FRAUD. I will not vote for you – and Millions of Americans feel the same way.
    Last week it was your circus trip – all staged to perfection for the media – next week your VP pick – Who Cares – the AMERICAN people are sick of you.

July 27, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  25. easy rider

So all you experts sitting there denouncing McCaSkill, can you explicitly saw WHY you think she lacks values and integrity and honesty?

Back up your accusations with facts.

July 27, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |