July 29th, 2008

Kaine stays mum on Veep buzz

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/29/art.obamakaine.gi.jpg caption="Kaine is staying mum on reports he is on the top of Obama's VP list."](CNN) - The vice presidential buzz is circling around Gov. Tim Kaine, but the Virginia Democrat refused to address the speculation in a radio interview Tuesday.

"What I said about this is that I have been on board with the campaign since February 2007, but I don't talk about my conversations with the campaign," the first-term governor told Washington radio station WTOP. "You know I save my advice, thoughts, etc., for those conversations and I don't really share them."

Kaine, who hails from an increasingly purple state the Obama campaign hopes to snatch from Republicans this cycle, has long been considered a top vice presidential prospect. But speculation increased Monday night after both the Washington Post and the Politico reported Kaine is on top of the Illinois senator's VP short list.

According to the Washington Post, Kaine has told his close advisers he has had "very serious" conversations with the Obama campaign about the position and is eagerly jockeying for it.

CNN Political Market: Kaine's stock on the rise

But speaking to WTOP on Tuesday, Kaine said he did not endorse Obama to "get anything or get appointed to anything."

"It's flattering to be mentioned, my mom loves it, she calls me, she sees it," he said. "But that's for the campaign to decide. The campaign has made very good decisions thus far. And I think, how ever they decide, they are going to make a very good decision about Senator Obama's running mate."

CNN Election Center: Who's on the VP shortlist?

Later in the broadcast, Kaine also refused to say whether he has any meetings planned with Obama: "I've got my 13-year old daughter in the studio. We have a date right after this and that's the only thing on my calendar."

Many political observers have noted Kaine would bring several advantages to the Democratic ticket - in addition to hailing from a conservative-to-moderate state, he has never served in Washington and could easily espouse Obama's message of change. He, like Obama, is also a fresh face in political circles and a graduate of Harvard Law School.

But Kaine has only served as governor for three years, and it's likely his name on the ticket will do little to assuage voter concerns that Obama lacks the experience to be president. Kaine also does little to shore up the Illinois senator's short resume on national security credentials.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Tim Kaine
  1. Bulldog

As long as is not a war-monger I will be happy. Dick Cheney is the worst VP in American history. He needs to be criminally investigated. There is no doubt that Cheney as well as other Bush cronies have committed crimes that deserve nothing less than some jail time.

July 29, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  2. Carl from MI

I doubt Kaine's going to be his VP. But Obama is consolidating his power and he should be bringing this guy on board. The landslide win for Obama in November can't come soon enough!!

July 29, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  3. Former Republican

I like Kaine.
    This would definately seal the deal.
    CHANGE IS a' COMING FOLKS!

July 29, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  4. NC Man

Great a 1st term governor and 1st term senator ... sounds like trouble to me !!

July 29, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  5. A guy named Al

Hillary for the last time U need the Puma's

Are you afraid of the big bad Girl I mean the Lady

Live with Barack you need us we don't need YOU 🙂

July 29, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  6. HDT

McCain for Obama's VP!!!

I really think that Obama is already the acting president.

Bush and McCain are now following Obama's every major proposal, e.g. talk to Iran, withdraw from Iraq, focus on Afeghanistan, worry about its border with Pakistan, or would it be Irak's border with Pakistan 🙂

July 29, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  7. johnny d

God help America. Two rookie running this country, I hope that we do not sink as deep as the Titanic. Obama has become such a stale news. I regret voting for him in the primary....

July 29, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  8. fred

Yeah. I'm pretty sure he will be picked. It really doesn't matter who Obama picks..............well, other than the fact that without Hillary, he will lose some votes. What really matters is who McCain picks. I really think that unless McCain picks Huckabee, he has no chance.

July 29, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  9. Peggy Robson

Two Rookies, that's what this country needs.

July 29, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  10. joanie

It's unfortunate that Obama does'nt have a nationally known candidate to choose from (since john edwards and Hillary are "out") because this means the ENTIRE Democratic ticket rests on Obama's shoulders as the country tries to get to know this new person (and Obama himself is new to us).....if McCain picks Romney (a well-known, well-liked candidate nationally) then I think Obama will have to run for president at a later time to actually win.
    Joanie Amherst MA

July 29, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  11. Mad as hell and not going to take it anymore

Kaine – though an extraordinary and gifted individual – would be a mistake for Barack - he should go for Nunn, Hagel, Colin Powell or someone to help shore up the foreign policy side - this will become a defining issue for election esp if Rove lends his expertise to McCain ... Barack, this is a huge decision for you ... do it carefully – the election depends on it!

July 29, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  12. Ms. D

I think people are getting thrown off with Kaine and the real VP will be Biden!! He is really the most vetted, and have more foreign relations and national security experience. Kaine don't have any experience in foreign and national policies. Bayh is to young.

July 29, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  13. Scott, Phoenix

Seems that Kaine has more experience than Obama and his 142 days as a Senator. Heck... a House Page probably has more experience.

July 29, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  14. Lola

I hope Obama will never ask and Hillary won't make an offer on any circumstances! Hillary, please don't step on a sinking ship, stay away from this phony candidate!

July 29, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  15. LYNNE KIEPER

BIDEN! BIDEN! BIDEN!! Sen Obama should not be looking at someone who has even less experience in the political arena than he has. That would only serve to substantiate the opposition's position of lack of experience. Yes, we want SOME things changed in the way we conduct our national politics, but Sen Biden would be change too, since he cares little about political correctness, is refreshingly frank and honest, and has the gravitas and foriegn policy experience to be a valuable partner to Obama.

July 29, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  16. Sane John

Looks like a nice enough guy, but I think there are better choices out there.

I know there will be floods of people saying "Hillary or else!" I'm not one of them. I'm not a fan of Hillary Clinton, but if she winds up being the VP pick, I'll vote for Obama anyway. The most important thing is keeping McCain and the rest of the idiot Republicans out of the White House. There are a lot of people I'd like to see Obama pick as running mate, but I'm voting for a President, not a Vice President. And no vice president Obama picks will make everybody completely happy. Some people will, even if Obama picks the person they claim to support, persist in their opposition. There's not really anything you can do about that, some people are just petulant children.

I'd like to see Kucinich, Hagel, or Feingold as VP choices, with McCaskill, or Webb in the second tier. But it's not a make or break issue.

July 29, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  17. Yes, Maybe

I don't know anything about him, but I hope he has good intentions.

Obama 08

July 29, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  18. Texas trail puppy!

The decision is Obama's to make and he is going to make a wise choise so please MSM stop the vetting, there is already a group of professionals taking care of that.
    Obama/ Dems '08.

July 29, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  19. Liberal Hater

I hate you liberal sissys that vote here. go to h@ll!!!!!!

July 29, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  20. Lydia

I just bought my ticket for Denver, and I can't wait. It should be an exciting time. Now, if I could just get a ticket for the acceptance speech.

Obama 08

P.S. I have NEVER participated in politics this much in my entire life. It's a new day, America.

Yes, We Can–And Will.

July 29, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  21. It Should Be Hillary

Oh Goody! Two empty suits.

July 29, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  22. Nom Deplume

Hate to say it, but how many liberal, inexperienced Harvard Law, effetes do we need in Washington? Being from Cambridge, MA, I know the type, and it is avowedly liberal, social engineering.

The Obama team has the talent of the incoming Clinton crowd, the foreign policy agenda of Carter, the social agenda of Ho Chi Minh, and the economic agenda of Chavez.

We are in for tumultuous times, especially in fly-over country.

July 29, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  23. ProudToBeDemocrat

Obama short lis in order for V.P. Choice
    Obama/Kaine
    Obama/Sebelius
    Obama/Sam Nunn
    Obama/Joe Biden

July 29, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  24. Looking for Mr. Goodburger

Non-sense – this guy as VP won't happen.

July 29, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  25. Jill, OR

Obama/Kaine sounds like Obamakin–I love it.

McCain or McSame is so boring. He will pick Romney, and then Romney will run around playing basketball to pretend he's young and "hip",which is not. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Obama is my choice and he will be the best president. The brightest minds and visionaries are not lining up to talk to McSame. They want him to have the fortitude to vote that his buddy George goes to jail. That won't happen.

We will, we will Barack you.

July 29, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |