July 29th, 2008

Kaine stays mum on Veep buzz

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/29/art.obamakaine.gi.jpg caption="Kaine is staying mum on reports he is on the top of Obama's VP list."](CNN) - The vice presidential buzz is circling around Gov. Tim Kaine, but the Virginia Democrat refused to address the speculation in a radio interview Tuesday.

"What I said about this is that I have been on board with the campaign since February 2007, but I don't talk about my conversations with the campaign," the first-term governor told Washington radio station WTOP. "You know I save my advice, thoughts, etc., for those conversations and I don't really share them."

Kaine, who hails from an increasingly purple state the Obama campaign hopes to snatch from Republicans this cycle, has long been considered a top vice presidential prospect. But speculation increased Monday night after both the Washington Post and the Politico reported Kaine is on top of the Illinois senator's VP short list.

According to the Washington Post, Kaine has told his close advisers he has had "very serious" conversations with the Obama campaign about the position and is eagerly jockeying for it.

CNN Political Market: Kaine's stock on the rise

But speaking to WTOP on Tuesday, Kaine said he did not endorse Obama to "get anything or get appointed to anything."

"It's flattering to be mentioned, my mom loves it, she calls me, she sees it," he said. "But that's for the campaign to decide. The campaign has made very good decisions thus far. And I think, how ever they decide, they are going to make a very good decision about Senator Obama's running mate."

CNN Election Center: Who's on the VP shortlist?

Later in the broadcast, Kaine also refused to say whether he has any meetings planned with Obama: "I've got my 13-year old daughter in the studio. We have a date right after this and that's the only thing on my calendar."

Many political observers have noted Kaine would bring several advantages to the Democratic ticket - in addition to hailing from a conservative-to-moderate state, he has never served in Washington and could easily espouse Obama's message of change. He, like Obama, is also a fresh face in political circles and a graduate of Harvard Law School.

But Kaine has only served as governor for three years, and it's likely his name on the ticket will do little to assuage voter concerns that Obama lacks the experience to be president. Kaine also does little to shore up the Illinois senator's short resume on national security credentials.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Tim Kaine
  1. Bill

Now, can we handle two Harvard grads...plus their Harvard grad spouses...in the White House? If so, change the name to the "Elite House". They sure have a lot in common with the rest of us!

July 29, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  2. facts are facts

The U.S. armed Saddam Hussien to invade Iran then all of a sudden he became the enemy then they armed Osama Bin Laden to fight the Russians in Afghanistan and now he is the enemy NOW history repeats itself as the U.S. is paying and arming their enemies not to fight them.

Is it just me or does anyone else see a pattern of failure here? OH just in case anyone is interested this paying and arming the enemies in Iraq is the main reason for the decline in violence and U.S. troop fatalities not the so called SURGE!

July 29, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  3. diane

Obama can only win if he takes Hillary. Otherwise as of now he's down 4 points to McCain. He doesn't need unknowns.

July 29, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  4. Danielle

Who cares how much experience Hillary has (which she doesn't). I care about her CHARACTER. She's a liar and will never be my president. Aren't we tired of people lying to us–Jeesh. The bar is really low for some you people.

July 29, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  5. MMN-Milwaukee WI

Bush has 176 days left in the White House and that is not good for McCain or the GOP but its good for America and that’s all that matters.

Let’s all help GWB countdown to his exit of the WH
    176
    175
    174
    173

July 29, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  6. M. Porter

It will be hard for Obama to get support from many older, more conservative voters... trust me! I've heard some pretty shocking comments from elders in my family.

On the other side of the age spectrum, my daughter... a Hillary supported... had this comment right after Obama won the primaries: 'Obama better find himself a white, southern male to put on the ticket!'

Ta-da!

July 29, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  7. Florida

If he picks anyone other than Clinton he can forget winning Florida. I have heard way too many Florida Democrats say they will vote for McCain unless Hillary is the VP.

July 29, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  8. John From Illinois

Hmmm.....Seems like Obama is taking in an awful lot of lobbyist and lawyer money doesn't it? Here is the start of Illinois politics that you all keep ignoring. Like I have said many, many times before here, research Illinois politics to get a real picture of Obama and his Illinois Democrat Machine buddies and how they do things. You will NOT like what you see.

July 29, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  9. Mike - Texas

Ah, Kaine and Able. Who knocked off who ????

July 29, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  10. NG in DC

Kaine over Clinton .... hmm? What's up with that choice?

July 29, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  11. JD

That would be sweet! Then Virginia could elect a governor who wasn't constantly trying every trick in the book (and then some) to raise taxes.

July 29, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  12. Bert Convey

Once again, the arrogance of Oboreo, the Chicago machine puppet, comes to the forefront. You DEMS have drank so much of this clown's Kool-Aid that you can't make a rational decision. Despite your fervent hopes, this guy is NOT JFK, or even Bill Clinton.

Yeah, pick this VA governor. That will be change alright. It will change the out come of the election in McCain's favor.

July 29, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  13. Maritza

Great, the blind leading the blind, as if it's not scary enough, Kaine has no foreign policy experience, hasn't achieved anything politically notable, in or out of office, he's just been a mayor? '" real smart ... his cocky advisors with all of their hairbrain ideas , the real scare ,Too much power for someone with no credible , concrete experience, Obama that is.

Maritza

July 29, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  14. obama is unfit to be president of this country

obama is going to fake it til' he makes it. Truly....the dumbing of America.

July 29, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  15. mwm

he was also mayor of richmond for eight years,and his state has done quite well.he was an attorney for years helping low-income people get housing and adequate health care,and defending the poor.he was a missionary ,in hondurus ,and was principle of a catholic school ,there ,that trained young people as builders in carpentry and welding.his wife's father was governor '70-'74,so ,she has lived in the govs.mansion twice.once as child, now as governors wife.11 years in executive positions of government,outside of washington,makes him a perfect choice.hagel,biden ,clinton,and others could fill more important positions in the cabinet.everyone happy,now?

July 29, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  16. Janet Bean

I feel Kaine does not have enough experience to be Vice President as he has not been around all that long. I am a Hillary supporter and I feel she would be the best VP for Obama. And that will probably bring most of Hillary's supportors to Obama's side instead going over to McCain's.

Janet

July 29, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  17. Kevin

Who else is this "buzz" going to swirl around??? Sheez.

July 29, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  18. Obama

If Obama's team believes that Clinton supportewrs will "get over it" and vote for Obama even if he does not pick her as the VP then they are in for a rude awakening!

July 29, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  19. Brandon Hillary PUMA 4Mc

No Hillary not a chance at my vote the minute he names anyone besides her as vp is the minute I make a sizeable contribution to Mc Cain 2008 Which I already anticipate.
    No Hussein.

July 29, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  20. stephen pelser

Wow a first time Governor and a first time Senator. Change from political paybacks positions for votes and money to those that are qualified for the position. Sen Obama needs a VP that does not just go to funerals, weddings and President of the Senate but able to help with our internal problems and advise on external situation.

July 29, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  21. Ron democrat turned independent

maybe he should pick a religion. first he says before he met rev. wright he had no religion. then he embraced christianity now in people's magazine he says he does not buy his children christmas and birthday gifts. that is a muslim belief they do not celebrate christ's birthday or anybody else's. maybe that's why he was a no show for MLK 'S BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION in Memphis this year. in any case he should clear this up. which belief is he going to follow

July 29, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  22. Janet

Hillary Clinton got 18,000,000 votes. She still gets my vote. If Obama does not select her, he'll not get my vote at all. McCain will not get my vote under any circumstances. For the first time in my life since age 21 (I'm 60 now) I will not vote at all.

July 29, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  23. Susan

Our families will not vote for Obama if he does not pick Hillary for veep.

July 29, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  24. Independent Fred

If Obama want's a blowout he'll choose Clinton.'

Howevef if he want's the best VP of available of either party (yes even Chuck Hagal) he'll choose Joe Biden.

I actually like him Better than Obama, McCain & Clinton.

July 29, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  25. Beth

I hope they realize how many votes they will lose if they don't pick Hillary.

You bet I'll vote for McCain if she isn't on the ticket.

July 29, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |