July 29th, 2008

Kaine stays mum on Veep buzz

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/29/art.obamakaine.gi.jpg caption="Kaine is staying mum on reports he is on the top of Obama's VP list."](CNN) - The vice presidential buzz is circling around Gov. Tim Kaine, but the Virginia Democrat refused to address the speculation in a radio interview Tuesday.

"What I said about this is that I have been on board with the campaign since February 2007, but I don't talk about my conversations with the campaign," the first-term governor told Washington radio station WTOP. "You know I save my advice, thoughts, etc., for those conversations and I don't really share them."

Kaine, who hails from an increasingly purple state the Obama campaign hopes to snatch from Republicans this cycle, has long been considered a top vice presidential prospect. But speculation increased Monday night after both the Washington Post and the Politico reported Kaine is on top of the Illinois senator's VP short list.

According to the Washington Post, Kaine has told his close advisers he has had "very serious" conversations with the Obama campaign about the position and is eagerly jockeying for it.

CNN Political Market: Kaine's stock on the rise

But speaking to WTOP on Tuesday, Kaine said he did not endorse Obama to "get anything or get appointed to anything."

"It's flattering to be mentioned, my mom loves it, she calls me, she sees it," he said. "But that's for the campaign to decide. The campaign has made very good decisions thus far. And I think, how ever they decide, they are going to make a very good decision about Senator Obama's running mate."

CNN Election Center: Who's on the VP shortlist?

Later in the broadcast, Kaine also refused to say whether he has any meetings planned with Obama: "I've got my 13-year old daughter in the studio. We have a date right after this and that's the only thing on my calendar."

Many political observers have noted Kaine would bring several advantages to the Democratic ticket - in addition to hailing from a conservative-to-moderate state, he has never served in Washington and could easily espouse Obama's message of change. He, like Obama, is also a fresh face in political circles and a graduate of Harvard Law School.

But Kaine has only served as governor for three years, and it's likely his name on the ticket will do little to assuage voter concerns that Obama lacks the experience to be president. Kaine also does little to shore up the Illinois senator's short resume on national security credentials.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Tim Kaine
  1. Jody Monroe

Experience isn't necessarily a good thing. Some "experienced" folks are merely experienced in making the same mistakes for many years.

July 29, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  2. Republican for Obama

As long as Obama is on the ticket my vote goes to him.
    McCain wants to put this country on its knees.

Obama 08

July 29, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  3. 1paperclip

If Obama chooses a newbie for this position he will definately lose a lot of votes. People are already taking a big chance on him with his lack of experience. I think he would better insure a win if he balances himslelf with a more experienced VP. I don't see this as a winning combination. They suggested McCaskill on the TV and she really stinks in buketfulls. I would never vote for her for anything. These newbie choices might even swing my vote to McCain and I am a hardened Democrat!

July 29, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  4. wthwah

I live in VA, and this govenor is a TAX AND SPEND, SPEND, SPEND govenor.

He wants to institute programs that can only be called socialist. Such as pre-K schooling paid for by taxpayers, for people making up to 85,000.00 A) Anyone making that kind of money can pay their own school for their kids B) I don't have kids, and don't want to pay for yours. Sorry, but hey, send me a check and we can talk.

VA is now cutting funding to police and other essential services due to the "unexpected" downturn in the economy. What they don't tell you is he spent all the tax money on programs that the gov't shouldn't have their hands in. Yet he won't ban smoking in public places or improve our roads. Hmmm, let me think if this is a guy I want as V.P. NOPE!

He talks a good talk, but he cannot walk the walk. He takes a limo on tax payers dime.

Say no to Gov. Kaine as VP...

July 29, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  5. j

if he doesnt pick clinton im not voting for him period!!!

July 29, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  6. Nova from NV

Why not pick conviced fellon Rezko? He had such a good relationship with Obama when they were making money back in Chicago. Or what about Rev Write? He was his mentor for thirty years back when listening to anti-American was fashionable. Why ignore these people who were also important to Obama?

July 29, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  7. 1paperclip

I really don't care who wins for pres anymore. Neither one of them is my first choice. Obama is too inexperienced, and McCain is too old. Who they pick as VP, will determine who I vote for.

July 29, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  8. Dave in Houston

Tim Kaine seems like a good choice, but the name just sounds wrong. The right-wing loons will just have too much childish fun with the combo.

The first thing that came to mind is Obamacaine - sounds too much like cocaine.

The second is that the combination sounds like it could be spelled Oba McCain. Why vote for Oba McCain when you can have John McCain?

I know these are dumb, dumb reasons to not want Tim Kaine for VP, but we are dealing with a lot of dumb, dumb people.

July 29, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  9. Thomas

kevin for obama in Maryland – Hey, I say Kaine is a good choice, he is a war veteran………

Which war would that be? Gov Tim Kane has not served in the military.

July 29, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  10. Tejano

The youth vote will not be there for Obama in November. But you better believe us old folks will show up in droves to keep Obama from ruining our country.

July 29, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  11. Anonymous

From above: "Most of Hillary supporters are very independent and they are not easy to be brain-washed!!!!!"
    -------------------------------

Except by Clinton herself.

July 29, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  12. Barack a vote

John can pick pill popper Rush Limbaugh since Cindy had the same addiction.

July 29, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  13. Barack a vote

John can pick closet Nazi lover Sean Hannity.

July 29, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  14. JOYCE

TO ALL HILLARY SUPPORTERS

YOU BETTER HOPE FOR HER SAKE OBAMA WINS.
    REASON BEING
    HE WILL RUN AGAIN IN 4 YEARS AND SHE WILL LOOSE AGAIN TO HIM AND SHE WILL BE TO OLD NEXT TIME AROUND

TIM KAINE YES

July 29, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  15. J. McKinney

Hillary should have been our Democratic nominee, but due to the Media's stupidity, we have an inexperienced, pompas, over-confident ....well, rock-star type, empty suit.
    If Obama doesn't pick Hillary, I will vote for McCain. Not to be disloyal to the Democratic party, but to pick the least dangerous candidate. The US is headed downhill FAST, and I don't know if the slide can be stopped any more. Going from billions ahead under Clinton, to Billions in debt in 7 years is VERY scary.
    I think I can hold my nose and vote for Obama, IF Hillary is VP.

July 29, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  16. Kevin

There's nothing wrong with Obama choosing a "rookie". If you want change to pick a vet whose use to the same old some same old. I know retail has nothing to do with this, but the rookie manager always do better than a veterian manager, because the rookie is willing to shake things up isntead of doing the same old stuff that DOESNT WORK. And stop saying if Obama wins we're on a sinking ship...OUR ship sunk 4 years ago lol

July 29, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  17. carolflowery

harold ford Jr. really make history

July 29, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  18. Jay

Tim Kaine is one of the best Governors in the country. He knows how to create jobs. He has a top 10 public education system. Very smart on infrastructure. Understands urban and rural culture. Catholic missionary backround. Ex mayor of Richmond. Fluent in Spanish. Harvard Law grad. He could definitely help with domestic issues.

July 29, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  19. B J

Kaine is a mistake, he will be dead wood for the campaign. He definitely is not doing good things for VA

July 29, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  20. Peggy - TX

To all the so-called “Hillary Supporters” – The gig is up. No one cares about what you blog as everyone knows that the backing behind this charade is Republican money.

July 29, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  21. Jim

I would prefer Hillary. If she is not chosen then all bets are off. McCain was right on the surge and is right on nuclear energy. Take Hillary away and all that is left is ...well...left.

July 29, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  22. I miss Hillary

Please, no...................................................................................................!
    Anyone but Kaine. He is not pre-presidential material. But, Obama was here stumping for him a few years ago so he might very well be the pick.

July 29, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  23. Bill

So i,your not going to vote? Politic is a tough sport but in the end we must support Obama.

July 29, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  24. ProudToBeDemocrat

Factcheck.com Summary

McCain's new ad accuses Obama of keeping gas prices high, all by himself. That's absurd, and McCain knows it – he has said repeatedly that our current problems were "30 years in the making."

The ad also tells us that gas prices are high because "some in Washington are still saying no to drilling in America." Not true. The federal government's estimate is that if the moratorium on offshore drilling were lifted today, it would be 2030 before we'd see a noticeable effect on supply and prices.

For the same reason, it's simply not true that drilling more now will "rescue our family budgets."

July 29, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  25. a guy

Kaine has been in office since 2006... is limited to 1 4 year term by statute.

During Governor Kaine’s tenure, Virginia has been recognized as the most business-friendly state in American (Forbes.com 2006 and 2007; CNBC 2007), the top-performing state government in America (Governing Magazine 2008) and the state where “a child is most likely to have a successful life (Education Week 2007).”

July 29, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |