July 29th, 2008

Kaine stays mum on Veep buzz

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/29/art.obamakaine.gi.jpg caption="Kaine is staying mum on reports he is on the top of Obama's VP list."](CNN) - The vice presidential buzz is circling around Gov. Tim Kaine, but the Virginia Democrat refused to address the speculation in a radio interview Tuesday.

"What I said about this is that I have been on board with the campaign since February 2007, but I don't talk about my conversations with the campaign," the first-term governor told Washington radio station WTOP. "You know I save my advice, thoughts, etc., for those conversations and I don't really share them."

Kaine, who hails from an increasingly purple state the Obama campaign hopes to snatch from Republicans this cycle, has long been considered a top vice presidential prospect. But speculation increased Monday night after both the Washington Post and the Politico reported Kaine is on top of the Illinois senator's VP short list.

According to the Washington Post, Kaine has told his close advisers he has had "very serious" conversations with the Obama campaign about the position and is eagerly jockeying for it.

CNN Political Market: Kaine's stock on the rise

But speaking to WTOP on Tuesday, Kaine said he did not endorse Obama to "get anything or get appointed to anything."

"It's flattering to be mentioned, my mom loves it, she calls me, she sees it," he said. "But that's for the campaign to decide. The campaign has made very good decisions thus far. And I think, how ever they decide, they are going to make a very good decision about Senator Obama's running mate."

CNN Election Center: Who's on the VP shortlist?

Later in the broadcast, Kaine also refused to say whether he has any meetings planned with Obama: "I've got my 13-year old daughter in the studio. We have a date right after this and that's the only thing on my calendar."

Many political observers have noted Kaine would bring several advantages to the Democratic ticket - in addition to hailing from a conservative-to-moderate state, he has never served in Washington and could easily espouse Obama's message of change. He, like Obama, is also a fresh face in political circles and a graduate of Harvard Law School.

But Kaine has only served as governor for three years, and it's likely his name on the ticket will do little to assuage voter concerns that Obama lacks the experience to be president. Kaine also does little to shore up the Illinois senator's short resume on national security credentials.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Tim Kaine
  1. MCCAIN 08

That would make the ticket a white guy and a half. Not much change there!

Just please don't pick Hillary. McCain needs her votes! Slap those Hillary voters right in the face so they come to us. Thanks!

MCCAIN MCCAIN MCCAIN MCCAIN

July 29, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  2. Scott, Phoenix

Oh! I like that picture shown above, looks like it says 'Virgins for Obama'

July 29, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  3. Fred

Other than comfort, I dont think he brings much to the ticket. I doubt he garauntees Virginia to go Blue but he may be a good potential Pres. in 8 years.

July 29, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  4. S. BOATMAN

Mccain Is Going To Choose A V. P. And Announce It Also. . . Then The Next Day He Will Flip Flop And Choose Someone Else And Claim He Never Chose In The First Place! Then He Will Try And Slam Obama For Even Choosing A V. P. Saying That Obama Is Changing His Position By Choosing To Have A Running Mate And How Unpatriotic It Is To Do So!

July 29, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  5. Curly Larry & Moe for VP

Obama's appropriate pick for VEEP would be Curly, Larry, or Moe to give the Obama ticket some experience and common sense – both of which are sorely lacking in this Media-Created Candidate

July 29, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  6. Obama-Junkie, IL

I like this guy, Kaine. I have been a Kaine admirer since he endorsed Obama early in 2007. Regardless of whom Obama chooses as his VP, Obama will always be tagged with the "inexperienced" label.

The argument that the Obama campaign has put forth against the inexperience charge is that judgment matters more. This still has to be Obama's best weapon, better than picking an "experienced" candidate for VP.

July 29, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  7. Steve, AZ

Please tell me that after all of the hype and speculation, Obama's not going to pick a guy whose resume is Govenor for 3 years–that's it. A guy that most people will have never heard of. Why? In trying to put VA into his column, how many other states is Obama willing to lose? What is Kaine going to do for Obama in Ohio, PA, FLA, MI, CO? The throwing darts at a map method would work just as well in selecting a VP.

July 29, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  8. DEBBY, NJ

Go BARACK, you have a lot of good choices, keep them guessing.
    OBAMA '08

July 29, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  9. txpoodoo

Well its getting to be that time again.....all the talk about vp's, for both side of the fence. I think each campaign is wanting to wait as long as possible so they know what they are up against.

July 29, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  10. Bella

If I were Kaine, I would stay mum also. Being on the VP short list of a potential disaster inexperience candidacy is nothing to write home about.

July 29, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  11. Democrat No More/San Diego

An all male ticket again---and you wonder why women are angry?

July 29, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  12. Billy J -Austin-Tx

Oh c'mon...

The veep belongs to Hillary IF she wants it. And why pick some guy who has a total of three years in a governmental executive position (although that's three years longer than Obama) when you already have all the inexperience you need to claim 'outsider' and blow smoke about the future, since you have no past.

That said.. it's important to elect a democrat simply because the republicans have gone so far off the reservation, they HAVE to completely change their party. Although the democrats sure could use some sweeping at the top too. (pelosi, reid, et al....)

July 29, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  13. fair is fair

I notice that you gave ample coverage to a McCain mole removal, but you consistently ignore both the Barr and Nader campaigns. With Ralph Nader on 17 state ballots today and polling at 5% nationally, why don't you folks who speak of "the most trusted name in news" cover the other candidates? Maybe, just maybe either Barr or Nader have something to offer America that both major parties have ignored, omitted or haven't thought about. Daily political coverage equal to the polling numbers would be a great place to start. Knowledge is power.

July 29, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  14. KAINE LOVER

TIM KAINE IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 29, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  15. Walter, Long Beach

I hope that Obama doesn't choose Kaine. Nice enough guy, but talk about inexperience! At least Barack has been in D.C. for three years.

Obama needs to choose another Senator (Biden, Dodd, Clinton). That way, if McSame chooses a governor, Obama can slam him for trying to put someone with no defense or foreign affairs experience "one heartbeat away" from the Presidency.

This would both undermine McSame's major line of attack on Obama and remind people of his age at the same time.

July 29, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  16. KAINE LOVER

VP IS KAINE........................BECAUSE KAINE IS ABLE

July 29, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  17. Veteran in Kansas

Who? This guy might be good, but who to heck is he and what does he bring to the ticket.I am sorry, its not time for a no name, with a new name.

July 29, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  18. va beach, va

With Kaine as VP, the democratic ticket of Obama and Kaine would have a total of 6 years of experience. Are Americans that scared of people who know what is going on?
    Real change you could believe in!

July 29, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  19. Helen

For God's dake Obama, pick someone who people know. You are a fresh, young, previously unkown person. You need someone who is strong on foreign affairs and can help you out with that. I have never even heard of this man until today and I follow politics constantly. I am a previous Hillary Clinton supporter and will be voting for you but choose someone with some experience please.

July 29, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  20. SUE

kaine–Obama–What a joke,,you won,t get my vote-Most Texas people wonder why you say Hillary Clinton is on your top list and you have made no move to vet her...My question is why? Mr Obama you may win with out her but you will loose a lot of support..There many hundreds of people that thank the dem.have lost it,,We thank this elec. has been riged,,,We also thank you wan,t someone you can work like a puppet..My pray to GOD is you will fail at the polls come NOV..

July 29, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  21. sarah

THIS guy is at the top of Obama's VP list? He really doesn't seem to bring much to the ticket. He won't help with women, he won't help w/ foreign policy/commander in chief credibility. I sure hope they're wrong....

Sebelius, Bayh, or Clark for VP!

July 29, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  22. Matt-NE

Wow, Obama considering another crook for VP.

Are we supposed to be shocked?

Party before Country as usual, eh, UhhhhUmmmbama??

July 29, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  23. Maggie Muggins From Selwyn

Whoever Obama selects as his running mate should have little or no influence on the outcome in November.

Being a senior, but a few years younger than John McCain, I can honestly evaluate myself as a natural loss of my faculties has taken place on a gradual but noticeable progression. This by no means indicates we are getting senile but does affect our reaction time and to a degree some of our memory and decision making ability.

There is nothing to be ashamed of as everyone goes through this process but maybe not everyone takes notice or admits that it is occuring.

This has to be a serious concern for anyone contemplating voting for John McCain in November. Remember the one major target of all con artists are seniors and for obvious reasons.

No one can deny many of the mistakes John has made throughout his campaign would not have been made 20 years ago but are a sign of the aging process.

July 29, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  24. TheWeaselMcCain

Obama will choose Tim Kaine (gov of VA), because he holds and shares the same politically correct views as Obama. He just happens to be a young, energetic, intellent white man who knows the political winds are changing for the better in America. Finally, change we can believe in.

By the way, McWeasle will probably "stroke out" after the first debate, and Mitt Romney will have to step up to the plate, just in time for a first rate whipping by OBAMA.

Obama/Kaine 08 & 12

You betcha. Virginia/North Carolina and Georgia will go blue. Whoo hoo!

July 29, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  25. Unity

Most likely all those being interviewed for the VP position will not be told anything definite until they get the job. It may be that he's one of many being interviewed. I wouldn't read too much into this yet.

The sooner McCain picks a running mate to help him on the trail – the better for him. His campaign is showing signs of major desperation this past week.

July 29, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |