July 29th, 2008

Kaine stays mum on Veep buzz

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/29/art.obamakaine.gi.jpg caption="Kaine is staying mum on reports he is on the top of Obama's VP list."](CNN) - The vice presidential buzz is circling around Gov. Tim Kaine, but the Virginia Democrat refused to address the speculation in a radio interview Tuesday.

"What I said about this is that I have been on board with the campaign since February 2007, but I don't talk about my conversations with the campaign," the first-term governor told Washington radio station WTOP. "You know I save my advice, thoughts, etc., for those conversations and I don't really share them."

Kaine, who hails from an increasingly purple state the Obama campaign hopes to snatch from Republicans this cycle, has long been considered a top vice presidential prospect. But speculation increased Monday night after both the Washington Post and the Politico reported Kaine is on top of the Illinois senator's VP short list.

According to the Washington Post, Kaine has told his close advisers he has had "very serious" conversations with the Obama campaign about the position and is eagerly jockeying for it.

CNN Political Market: Kaine's stock on the rise

But speaking to WTOP on Tuesday, Kaine said he did not endorse Obama to "get anything or get appointed to anything."

"It's flattering to be mentioned, my mom loves it, she calls me, she sees it," he said. "But that's for the campaign to decide. The campaign has made very good decisions thus far. And I think, how ever they decide, they are going to make a very good decision about Senator Obama's running mate."

CNN Election Center: Who's on the VP shortlist?

Later in the broadcast, Kaine also refused to say whether he has any meetings planned with Obama: "I've got my 13-year old daughter in the studio. We have a date right after this and that's the only thing on my calendar."

Many political observers have noted Kaine would bring several advantages to the Democratic ticket - in addition to hailing from a conservative-to-moderate state, he has never served in Washington and could easily espouse Obama's message of change. He, like Obama, is also a fresh face in political circles and a graduate of Harvard Law School.

But Kaine has only served as governor for three years, and it's likely his name on the ticket will do little to assuage voter concerns that Obama lacks the experience to be president. Kaine also does little to shore up the Illinois senator's short resume on national security credentials.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Tim Kaine
  1. Former Republican

The republican analyst are counting on the Youth not showing up this year, they mockingly declaring OBAMAs youth power as not important. They have a point b/c I didn't vote the last election, and that was my 1st chance to vote for president. But this year, when it matters more that ever, LETS PROVE THEM WRONG. Lets get OUT THERE and let our voices be heard. This election is about US, not about the seniors in their 60s who are retired or about to. There's no telling of how worse the economy will be if let the old elect another BUSH. The seniors are less likely to feel the effects of another bush for 8 years than we are. Most of them are less tolerant and more stuck in their ways. We the youth are the Future. We are more tolerant and have met and worked with people from all works of life. So please, get out and vote like you did in the primaries. THIS is our main concern, THIS IS OUR MOMENT, THIS IS OUR TIME, GO REGISTER NOW and LET YOUR VOICES BE HEARD!!!!

July 29, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  2. dave g, minneapolis

"purple state!" sounds like people don't like Obama OR McCain and feel they only have these two choices: you don't.

Barr '08! vote for pulling out of Iraq and returning our liberties that Obama an McCain are sacrificing with FISA and the patriot act.

July 29, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  3. S. BOATMAN

Mccain Will Claim He Thought Of A V. P. Choice First And His Choice Was Possible Because Of The Surge And It Was Based On The Conditions On The Ground!

July 29, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  4. California Voter

Ugh . . .

July 29, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  5. Gary of El Centro, Ca

I think Obama proved on his recent trip abroad that he has the chops to perform well on the world stage, so he doesn't really need that in a running mate anymore. A governor from a key state would be his best option now and Kaine would be a good fit. I also like Richardson, but there hasn't been much buzz about him recently.

July 29, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  6. B.Brown

There is no one perfect choice. As far as shoring up Obama on experience and national security issues, that's why you have advisors. And judging from Obama's performance to date, he has done an outstanding job with staff selection and working as a team to implement good strategies. Tim Kaine would be a great choice as VP. I like his energy and plus if Obama likes the guy, he may actually seek advise from him as opposed to putting someone on the ticket just because they have an "easy " button that says foreign policy or experience. The main trait we need in a president is good judgment and good decision-making. Obama's has proven to be some kind of chess player. When are folks going to stop underestimate this guy? After he's president? No. The media has to do something to try and stay relevant.

July 29, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  7. Little Lulu

At this point it doesn't matter who he chooses – HE LOOSES!! Each and every day he just shows more and more what an arrogant, pompus craphead he really is. The more he moves around and opens his mouth, the more people see the real Barrack Hussein Obama. He couldn't care less about the US and needs to move on to a world leadership position. Maybe then the Canadians, Frenchmen, Germans, etc who just "love" him so much can have him.

Continue to wake up people, He "ain't" what he's cracked himself up to be. By November, maybe the DNC will be able to admit what a HUGE mistake they have made by selecting this looser.

McCain may not be the number one choice for me, but I'll tell you this much, AT LEAST HE DOESN'T GO OFF TO OTHER COUNTRIES APOLOGIZING FOR AMERICA. It's like this Obama – you're in America – LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT (PREFERRABLY LEAVE IT)

July 29, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  8. James , Houston, TX.

Already, Obama needs a Kaine?

July 29, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  9. Adam

Another old White Man = More of the Same

No Hilliary = NObama!

July 29, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  10. John McCain

Like Obama bin Laden, Kaine is a joke.

I hope he gets picked, he is WEAK!

July 29, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  11. Kate

The Obama rally at Nissan Pavillion at the beginning of July was amazing. Tim Kaine, Jim Web, and Obama were able to create so much energy. Even if TK isn't the running mate his popularity in VA will do a lot towards helping Obama turn Virgina Blue

July 29, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  12. Peter

You know, he could play Virginia for the dems but he has no foreign policy.....i think that could bite Obama back if he chooses him

July 29, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  13. S. BOATMAN

The First Name Of Mccains Running Mate Is Grim!

July 29, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  14. Mike

Kaine's a fresh face...i like it

July 29, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  15. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Great pick. Obama has 3 years in the Senate, this guy has 3 years as governor. Together they have less than a third of McCain's experience. Neither has any military experience or foreign policy expereince. And no I'm sorry, a week long photo op doesn't count as foreign policy experience for Obama. With Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and Snoop Dog in the cabinet, this will be change we can believe in.

July 29, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  16. What!!!

Every day it is some one else. Just stop guessing and wait for the anoucement.

July 29, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  17. Rafael Richmond VA

Kaine is another Liberal but to be honest I think Kaine is more prepared to be President than Obama is. I have not made my mind but, I like Kaine is just Obama who I have the problem with.

July 29, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  18. Chris, PENN

Hear me now and believe me in a week! With Obama's numbers slipping in the polls after such large scale press support for his world tour....the media is in an all out rage! You will begin to see lopsided attacks and shameful bias reporting of Mccain in the next few weeks. Mccain needs to brace himself for this because the next few weeks will be very bumpy!

The media has mandated themselves as the people who will decide the country's next president. They will not allow voters to stand in the way of this agenda. Voters reactions to their biggest and grandest scheme to propell Obama to the top after the world tour has created much rage among the media loving networks. Mccain will pay for this in the weeks to come. Just watch and you'll see what I mean. Brace yourself senator Mccain...there's media turbulence ahead! your saving grace, however, is your call to have faith in the voters and as long as you stick by the voters, they'll shelter you from this media storm.

July 29, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  19. Tony

If Obama does not pick either Joe Biden or Hillary Clinton as his V,P, if it were not for the fact that the next president may get to appoint as many as 3 justcies to the Supreme Court, I would sit this election out. Neither is the best candidate, however I would trust a Democrat over a Republican any day of the week, keeping in mind that there is no such thing as an honest politician.

Obama would definitely do much less harm than McCain (McBush).

July 29, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  20. Mike, TX

I would have guessed that Obama would have chosen a European (French or German) after his recent trip there. After all, they are not "bitter or cling to guns" like us Americans.

July 29, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  21. Anyone but hillary!

Obama has brilliant judgement so the experience thing is a wash. GWB had experience. I trust that whomever Obama picks will be just right, as long as it is not Hillary. I am an avid supporter of Obama and financially donate but will not vote if she is on the ticket.

July 29, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  22. Jackie Rawlings

Kaine can't bring 18 million votes for Obama so looks like McCain wins by default. Like it or not Obama will need Hillary's votes to win and without her as VP he's hosed. I know the Middle East is hoping Obama doesn't pick Hillary it would make it easy to take over the USA. China can even buy up alot of the USA. Obama's decision will show just how smart he really is. If he picks anyone but Hillary he will be sitting back in the Senate on Nov. 4th and be shown is the History books as the first Black Man to be a Nominee for President and lose for a bad choice. Remember their are more woman voters then men. As for McCain's Tom Ridge getting woman's votes it a joke. Tom Ridge set up contracts to get hired after he messed up Homeland Security. Who can forget those expensive trips on taxpayers money while doing nothing.

July 29, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  23. Politico

I just recently moved to VA! The political climate was unexpected. I anticipated being a fish out of water (moved here from the Bay Area, CA), but I'm finding far more moderate or liberal residents than I'd imagined possible. Looks like I'll have to learn more about my new governor!

I'm still a fan of Sebilus or McCaskill–I'd love to see a strong woman on the ticket.

In the end, anyone but Hillary!

July 29, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  24. S. BOATMAN

The Last Name Of Mccains Running Mate Is Reaper!

July 29, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  25. Super delegate NJ

Kaine brings the same thing (nothing) the likes of Richardson brought to this pathetic campaign.

July 29, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |