July 29th, 2008

Kaine stays mum on Veep buzz

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/29/art.obamakaine.gi.jpg caption="Kaine is staying mum on reports he is on the top of Obama's VP list."](CNN) - The vice presidential buzz is circling around Gov. Tim Kaine, but the Virginia Democrat refused to address the speculation in a radio interview Tuesday.

"What I said about this is that I have been on board with the campaign since February 2007, but I don't talk about my conversations with the campaign," the first-term governor told Washington radio station WTOP. "You know I save my advice, thoughts, etc., for those conversations and I don't really share them."

Kaine, who hails from an increasingly purple state the Obama campaign hopes to snatch from Republicans this cycle, has long been considered a top vice presidential prospect. But speculation increased Monday night after both the Washington Post and the Politico reported Kaine is on top of the Illinois senator's VP short list.

According to the Washington Post, Kaine has told his close advisers he has had "very serious" conversations with the Obama campaign about the position and is eagerly jockeying for it.

CNN Political Market: Kaine's stock on the rise

But speaking to WTOP on Tuesday, Kaine said he did not endorse Obama to "get anything or get appointed to anything."

"It's flattering to be mentioned, my mom loves it, she calls me, she sees it," he said. "But that's for the campaign to decide. The campaign has made very good decisions thus far. And I think, how ever they decide, they are going to make a very good decision about Senator Obama's running mate."

CNN Election Center: Who's on the VP shortlist?

Later in the broadcast, Kaine also refused to say whether he has any meetings planned with Obama: "I've got my 13-year old daughter in the studio. We have a date right after this and that's the only thing on my calendar."

Many political observers have noted Kaine would bring several advantages to the Democratic ticket - in addition to hailing from a conservative-to-moderate state, he has never served in Washington and could easily espouse Obama's message of change. He, like Obama, is also a fresh face in political circles and a graduate of Harvard Law School.

But Kaine has only served as governor for three years, and it's likely his name on the ticket will do little to assuage voter concerns that Obama lacks the experience to be president. Kaine also does little to shore up the Illinois senator's short resume on national security credentials.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Tim Kaine
  1. Robert

Obama will not win and certainly....if the DNC says 'you will be Obama's VP' – then YOU had better do it. Look at what they did kicking out of the DNC one of the Clinton supporters. Lousy people and not anyone who the people of the United States want around. Vote out Pelosi, Reid, Kerry et al............now that is CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN!

July 29, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  2. Whats left in your wallet?

Its time to fleece the rich for a change,Vote for Obama.

July 29, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  3. David Newport, OR

What is the Holy Grail in Political News? Getting an inside scoop on who will be asked to be VP. Time to let it go...you will find out only hours before it will be announced.

July 29, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  4. pam Eugene OR

I think Barack should wait to announce his choice till after McCain chooses his VP.
    I do hope he picks someone with a little more experience. For months I thought Hillary would be the worst possible choice ( I never would have voted for her) but now I am beginning to wonder.
    Obama 08

July 29, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  5. Jon

I like Kaine, but cmon. Bill Richardson is clearly the best option for experience and bringing in a new geographic region to the DNC (the moountain west).

July 29, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  6. Kelley

Obama '08........all the way!!!

July 29, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  7. TPas

Senator B. Obama has good judgement. whoever is the vp Change will come for the best of america and the entire world. We need him for a strong leadership this time in this world.

July 29, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  8. CollegeMom

Yes, two rookies! They come with fresh ideas and a renewed enthusiasm that this country sorely needs. Look at what the "experienced" team of Bush/Cheney has done for this country, and I say bring on the rookies!!

July 29, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  9. Michelle

Pick whomever you like, Mr. Slumlord Helper, "Present" Voter,
    and Taker of Credit for the Work of Others.

You will still LOSE. You are struggling in the polls.

American voters are not looking for the Next Male Model.

July 29, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  10. Brian MacDougall

I, for one, am not persuaded by concerns regarding experience with respect to Obama or anyone he might choose as VP. For the last eight years we've had some VERY experienced, life-long politicians in charge (very ADULT, you might say), who have done nothing but pound this country into the ground. Eight very long years adding up to a 128 billion dollar surplus squandered into a 450 billion dollar a year deficit topping off institutionalized torture, dirty tricks, and other malfeasance. A failure of leadership of an epic magnitude. Is that really the kind of experience you're looking for?

July 29, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  11. Emma

Hillary for VP! Hillary for VP! Hillary for VP!

July 29, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  12. Reality Check Richmond Virginia

experiance, experiance........why don't we just dig up the corpse of Strom Thurman.

I'm so sick of these half-wits harping on "experiance", because they have no policy stances that would go over well.

We need to wake up and get with it. Its 2008, not 1988 or 1958. We need a president who gets that and can lead our great country into the future instead of backing it into the past.

WAKE UP AND LIVE!!!!

July 29, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  13. Matthew

Tim Kaine has only three years experience as governor, ZERO foreign policy experience, and he is ANTI-CHOICE. I cannot think of a worse choice.

July 29, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  14. mouli

Kaine when pronounced sounds like a McCain. Is this a clever ploy to get voters on rival camp?

July 29, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  15. Beca

I PREFERED BATMAN AND ROBIN, THEY HAVE MORE EXPIRIENCE, JAJAJAJA, THE AUDACITY OF HOPE, NOT!

July 29, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  16. Posn

Experienced sure hasn't help. Time for a change and new ideas.............

July 29, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  17. Turquoise

CHANGE CHANGE !!!!! NO MORE SAME-OLD !!!!!!!!!!
    EXPERIENCE ?????? BUSH AND CHENEY HAVE EXPERIENCE AND LOOK AT THIS COUNTRY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO HILLARY ! REMEMBER ALL THE COMMENTS SHE MADE CONCERNING BARACK,WHY WOULD SHE WANT TO BE ON HIS TICKET ????????

July 29, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  18. Andy in VA

Kaine would be an interesting choice. I'm not entirely sure I think Kaine brings that much to the ticket, but he is an honest, good man who has done a decent job running Virginia. I think Biden or Bayh may be a better decision.

It's certainly not going to be Hillary. It's funny how all the PUMAs are urging her not to accept the bid, as it's extremely unlikely she'll be offered it.

Hagel or Powell would be a good pick on national security, but they would be chaotic for Obama. The left wing that nominated him in the first place would not accept Hagel, who is staunchly pro-life, anti-gun control, etc. Groups like NOW, Push, ... would go absolutely crazy.

July 29, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  19. Ron in Asheville, NC

I get puzzled by the "no experience' argument. I'm not a particular Obama fan, but he has been a community organizer (in Chicago!), an Illinois state congressman (very effective; I was one of his constituents), and a first-term US senator (and a very active one). I actually think that is better experience for the presidency than a military career followed by a longish run in the Senate.

July 29, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  20. Marge Hibbing Mn

He'll really be in a world of hurt if it ain't Hillary. Millions of Americans don't like obama and if he doesn't pick Hillary they won't vote for him. I would love to see him sink into obscurity where he belongs.

July 29, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  21. Maggie

I wish both candidates would announce their selections already, instead of playing this waiting game. A lot of people are going to base their decision on who the VP candidate is. If they haven't yet decided after all this time, then how are we supposed to trust either of them to make that all-important "3 am" life-or-death decision?

July 29, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  22. lwhite

complaints about a rookie...what do you want another dick cheyney?
    also remember if obama chose HIllary he would also be taking bill clinton on board.

July 29, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  23. California Gold

Believe he would be a great pick. But if anyone thinks the VP choice will let the cat out of the bag is wrong.

July 29, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  24. arc, Lugano CH

It is truly fascinating how in 2004 the electorate who cast their ballots on a foundation of ‘values’ brought us George Bush and all that his administration has done to the country in addition to welcoming the hatred towards the United States from the rest of the world.

Now in 2008, McCain who in his desire to perpetuate to a certain degree the disaster created by GWB, actual remains a viable candidate to win as Hillary voters have now resorted to blackmailing their support to McCain if their candidate isn’t selected as VP. It seems that the policies of their candidate aren’t nearly as important as satisfying their own personal bitter desire to gain a sense of empowerment and acknowledgment.

July 29, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  25. Amy

Obama , Please select Sam Nunn and silence all the expereince police on the Republican side.

I am from Virginia and I like Tim Kaine as well,.....but I must agree Obama needs someone to balance this "preceived" lack of experience.

Isn't that what Dubya had to do when he picked Darth Vader? the only difference is intelligence and vision (Obama) will couple with wisdom and maturity (Nunn).

Obama/Nunn '08/'12