July 29th, 2008

Kaine stays mum on Veep buzz

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/29/art.obamakaine.gi.jpg caption="Kaine is staying mum on reports he is on the top of Obama's VP list."](CNN) - The vice presidential buzz is circling around Gov. Tim Kaine, but the Virginia Democrat refused to address the speculation in a radio interview Tuesday.

"What I said about this is that I have been on board with the campaign since February 2007, but I don't talk about my conversations with the campaign," the first-term governor told Washington radio station WTOP. "You know I save my advice, thoughts, etc., for those conversations and I don't really share them."

Kaine, who hails from an increasingly purple state the Obama campaign hopes to snatch from Republicans this cycle, has long been considered a top vice presidential prospect. But speculation increased Monday night after both the Washington Post and the Politico reported Kaine is on top of the Illinois senator's VP short list.

According to the Washington Post, Kaine has told his close advisers he has had "very serious" conversations with the Obama campaign about the position and is eagerly jockeying for it.

CNN Political Market: Kaine's stock on the rise

But speaking to WTOP on Tuesday, Kaine said he did not endorse Obama to "get anything or get appointed to anything."

"It's flattering to be mentioned, my mom loves it, she calls me, she sees it," he said. "But that's for the campaign to decide. The campaign has made very good decisions thus far. And I think, how ever they decide, they are going to make a very good decision about Senator Obama's running mate."

CNN Election Center: Who's on the VP shortlist?

Later in the broadcast, Kaine also refused to say whether he has any meetings planned with Obama: "I've got my 13-year old daughter in the studio. We have a date right after this and that's the only thing on my calendar."

Many political observers have noted Kaine would bring several advantages to the Democratic ticket - in addition to hailing from a conservative-to-moderate state, he has never served in Washington and could easily espouse Obama's message of change. He, like Obama, is also a fresh face in political circles and a graduate of Harvard Law School.

But Kaine has only served as governor for three years, and it's likely his name on the ticket will do little to assuage voter concerns that Obama lacks the experience to be president. Kaine also does little to shore up the Illinois senator's short resume on national security credentials.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Tim Kaine
  1. Larry

I want both of these guys,Nunn, and Hagel, in the administration.

July 29, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  2. MZ

Barack should just follow the speculators and have a different VP each week... ,IF ELECTED!!!...,or is that CORONATED?!!!!!!! ( which seems increasingly doubtful if the polls of likely voters are any indication ). Then again, he can always be " DER FUHRER " of GERMANY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 29, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  3. WhoIsHe?

There's more buzz around Obama's VP pick because we don't want him as President. There has never been this much talk about a VP choice.

Obama makes a lot of bad decisions and I'm sure he'll stick to this routine with his choice for VP. Too bad he did all that talk about change and now he's stuck with picking from in-experienced possible running mates.

July 29, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  4. Charlotte

These blogs are all, how shall I say it, McSame. The same statements over and over, kinda like Obama himself. REDUNDANT

July 29, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  5. Jimmy P

Apparently the dems have a death wish, what a loser ticket. Please bring it on! Everybody loves Obama, unitl they are alone in the voting booth.

July 29, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  6. Mila

For those concerned about lack of foreign policy experience, it doesn't matter with the VP candidate. It's who Obama would appoint as secretaries of State and Defense that matter. The Dems have a deep talent pool to choose from, and I wouldn't be surprised if Obama picked a Republican (such as Hagel) to one of those posts.

July 29, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  7. Maria Lopez

Life is a funny thing. You live and you learned. You endured tortures and prison in fulfilling your call to protect your country. You serve and you try to do the right things for your people even when it is at great costs to your personal political interests. Then, you find yourself at 72, thanking the lord for the lessons learned and the knowledge gained while working to be vital in mind and body to carry out the life mission you have to serve your people and your country. And now, you find yourself standing in a general election for the presidency, anxious to exercise the lessons learned and knowledge gained in order to serve the country you love.........and all you hear are quiet and not so quiet whispers and hope of your ultimate death. The blessed life of 72 years that has given you so much and has made you stronger and wiser is now being displayed on TV and newspapers and blogs as a weakness, a stain and a deficit to all the experience, knowledge, wisdom gained that can be utilitize in the highest office of leadership. Ironic, isn't it?

July 29, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  8. Ken

For my vote there is only 1 veep that can be on the ticket is Hillary Clinton. When is Obama going to wake up and realize that in order for him to defeat McCain in November is to have Clinton on the ticket.

Otherwise, McCain will get my vote.

Obama/Clinton 2008 or McCain 2008

July 29, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  9. AP

Won't matter. Virginia is a RED state and will remain RED state during this 2008 election cycle. This coming from a DEMOCRAT..........

July 29, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  10. Bobgil

I like Bill Richardson. The Obama campaign needs someone with experience at the foreigh policy level & in Washington. As Richardson said at many interviews: I've been there, done that.

July 29, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  11. Val, Atlanta, Ga

Johnny D, where have you been we have two rookies running the country now, don't you see the shape we are in or it dosen't effect you, trust me you can't sink any lower than you already are unless you get his sidekick and from the sound of it you want to put the rookies side kick in office after him, lets be serious did you people that are voting for McCain not get screwed enough with BUSH. I am willing to take my chances I want change, I'm not stupid. after this administration I would vote for my dog.

Obama 08

July 29, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  12. You should have voted for Hillary!!!

Kaine? Who the heck is this guy anyway? Great, just what we need another inexperienced person like Obama.

Screwed in 2008!

July 29, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  13. BJ

Kaine who (cares)?? Oh sorry, may two half brains will make one.

July 29, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  14. mwm

google him.he's awesome!

July 29, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  15. Brett

Great choice...oust Hillary Clinton for a nobody.

Quickest way to lose.

July 29, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  16. NV

This article fails to mention that there are no second term Virginia Governors since there is only a one term limit in that state. So after inauguration day in 2010, Tim Kaine will be out of a job.

Tim Kaine was Mark Warner's Lt. Governor and was elected as Governor in 2005 as a result of Mark Warner's high approval ratings (~70%). So Kaine has 4 years of experience as a Lt. Governor and a little less than 3 years of experience as a Governor.

Obama was elected to the Senate in 2004. So he has 3.5 years in the U.S. Senate and approximately 8 years of experience as a IL state Senator.

July 29, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  17. Steve

Jim Webb..He's one of the coolest looking white guy ever. And seems like he don't take crap from anyone. Apart from Webb I would love to see Colin Powell on the ticket with Obama. But America would not, and could not accept two dark skin gentlemen in the White House.

I would also like to remind everybody that Obama mother was a WHITE AMERICAN WOMAM.

ObAma=Change we can believe in.

July 29, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  18. Conan

Come on McCain....choose Condi and punch the Dems dead in the stomach.......

July 29, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  19. JimBlanco

Sane John July 29th, 2008 11:57 am ET

"Because the US has 50 states"

You could have fooled Obama, he thinks there are 57 states... what a disgrace.

July 29, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  20. Disgusted Dave

What the hell is wrong with us?

We toss aside experience like the Clintons who left this country in excellent condition and go for some neophite empty headed braggard who is so in love with his own image he can't see anything else.

HEY HILLARY, TAKE IT TO THE CONVENTION.
    YOU OWE THIS COUNTRY THAT MUCH.

July 29, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  21. clarence virginia beach va

I hate to say this, but he must pick Clinton, I hpoe he picks Biden.

July 29, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  22. Rapha TEXAS

Molly – I echo your sentiments, it does not matter who Obama picks as a VP running mate because he will not be elected.

FACT: Obama did not support the troop surge in Iraq and stated, " It will never work."

FACT: Obama has come off his Victory Lap from around the world and is now saying that the conditions in Iraq which are considerable much better was not due to the troop surge????What??????????????????

FACT: This is what happens when a presidential candidate(Obama) has no military experience, business experience and no accomplishments says anything he can to get elected.

FACT: Obama is an incredible Teleprompter reader.

July 29, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  23. Obama Supporter from Texas

I don't really care who he chooses, he has my vote all the way...

Obama '08

July 29, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  24. Shocked

If he picks this guy over Clinton, not only will I vote for McCain but I will donate to his campaign and work to get him elected.

July 29, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  25. Henry n New York

JOHN I understand and share your frustration and I'm beginning to feel a certain amount of distrust toward CNN. CNN has had a pretty fair approach until recently. There is a video clips of a NY Times reporter that wrote a negative piece about McCain. In the video clip, after the piece was published, she was with the McCain Campaign in front of the German Shop (ha ha) for a press conference. When she raised her hand and asked a question McCain recognized her at said "does anyone else have a question". Also, there was the NBC or ABC (not sure which) interview where the editors substituted a McCain gaff for his answer to his previous question. It would appear that news organizations are being censored by McCain. If McCain receives negative press he then refuses questions and will not invite or do interviews with those organizations. As a result NO PRESS WANTS TO PRINT OR REPORT ON ANY NEGATIVE INFORMATION FROM THE McCAIN CAMPAIGN. This week there was also a study done by Politico that revealed that although Obama received more press over 40% of it was negative compared to McCain's negative press of less than 25%. The end result is that media is not fact checking statements made by McCain as they are the Obama campaign; the media are selectively choosing what information to release; and McCain is censoring by denying access to his campaign the content of the truth. I would encourage all Obama, Ron Paul and other supporters to email all news organizations to voice their opposition to McCain censorship.

July 29, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |